Debunking Every Gun Myth
-> General

#1: Debunking Every Gun Myth Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:15 am
    ----
Very good article with facts from the fbi.

Gun Myths

#2: Re: Debunking Every Gun Myth Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:58 pm
    ----
Interesting reading.
I find the numbers appalling.
Is this guy quoting world wide numbers or is he USA specific? or is he just picking whatever sounds best for his argument?

You guys have a problem;
There were 60,684 accidental deaths in total. Unintentional firearm deaths were 980 of these.
This is over a 5 year period? Thats 33 people a day

8 times more people drowned to death and 36 times more people died in car accidents, so thats 485472 drownings (264 a day) and 2184624 killed in vehicles (1197 per day), which would relate to roughly 11970 people injured per day in auto injuries.

Obviously the smart money is for keeping americans away from water and off the roads,

Sorry guys I know you have a population of 315 million, but I cant get my head around the fact if these numbers are true and are usa specific, you'd be much better off running firearms, swimming and driving courses, than trying to ban an inanimate object.

If the numbers are true why hasnt
Obama: “If there’s one life we can save, we’ve got an obligation to try.”
Done anything about it?

I think this guy has bum plucked a lot of numbers to pad his argument

#3: Re: Debunking Every Gun Myth Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:45 pm
    ----
Good read !!!

#4: Re: Debunking Every Gun Myth Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:33 pm
    ----
Yes
good read, too bad the antis (who usually) are a bunch who think with their hearts rather than their heads.
Like religious people, facts do not sway their believe.

#5: Re: Debunking Every Gun Myth Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:48 pm
    ----
I'm with DHC on this one...those figures seem grossly excessive. Apart from that, a good read.

#6: Re: Debunking Every Gun Myth Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:31 pm
    ----
dhc4ever wrote:
This is over a 5 year period?

"All Accidental Deaths between 1999 and 2006:" = 8 years

#7: Re: Debunking Every Gun Myth Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:57 am
    ----
DHC,
980 gun related accidents from the 60,684 number of total accidental deaths between 1999 and 2006.
I am pretty sure that is only seven years but that means that in the average year in that span only 140 people died in gun related accidents - or .38 people per day (one person every three days).

Now, with over 300,000,000 guns in the hands of private citizens the rate of accidents is .000000001 per gun or 1 in 10,000,000 per day. More people win the lottery than that.

#8: Re: Debunking Every Gun Myth Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:39 am
    ----
www.gunfacts.info/ is said to be an excellent source of gun fact data !!! (pdf)

Disclaimer.....I haven't actually had a chance to read through it as of yet.

Another source is the FBI website.... amazing how the gun banning politicians never want to use their own studies and data !!!

-> General