Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820723
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Case length trimming?
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clembob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Case length trimming? Reply with quote

Why should I use a case length trimmer like rcbs,lyman etc that lets you make the case length to whatever you want.

If you use a Lee case length trimmer it only goes to a fixed length and obviously they say it is the most accurate way to trim a case.

What is and why is it best?
HayCreek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Case length trimming? Reply with quote

You don't have to. The Lyman and RCBS give you more flexibility in that you don't need different shell holders and gauge pins.

I've used the Lyman and found it to be a pain. The cases kept popping out of the holder and eventually I couldn't get it to lock down.

Went back to my Lee and that works just fine for me. For my .45/70 and .204, once I've fire formed the cases, they don't require much trimming.

You actually can adjust the Lee trimmer. To shorten the case, just hone down the pin. To trim less, add a shim so the guide rod doesn't screw in as deep.
fnuser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Case length trimming? Reply with quote

without making a chamber cast you just have to take the specs as given, for any body trying to shoot half inch groups at 100 yds it isn't neccesary to fill the neck region w brass so just trim to whatever specs say the bench crowd however fills the neck region of the chamber and trim the necks to just fit the danger in making them too long is an over-pressure condition that crams the bullet and neck into a constricted area like a super crimp not allowing the bullet to freely leave on its own accord

Elvis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Case length trimming? Reply with quote

I use the lee trimmers for .270 and .223 couldnt be simpler pop it in spin it around debur and bobs your uncle. I have tried it with the cordless drill too good for when lots to do.

English Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Case length trimming? Reply with quote

I have both the Lee trimmer & a Forster lathe type.

The latter is inconsistent, a PITA to set up & SLOW.

The Lee tool trims cases consistently & quickly when used with a cordless drill.

The expensive Forster trimmer gathers dust these days.
MacD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Case length trimming? Reply with quote

Ditto Lee trim tool. I bought an extra shell clamp and cutter so I don't have to swap out the gauge and shell holder. I read that if you are constantly changing the gauges you run the risk of slowly trimming from the shoulder of the gauge where it contacts the cutter edges. At about $6 it was well worth it just to not have to unscrew the gauge which fits pretty tight into the cutter.

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Case length trimming? Reply with quote

I've been using an RCBS Trim Pro for quite a while and it works great. Pretty easy to set up and consistent. Just for giggles I set it up and trimmed 20 cases, then measured them all. Any difference was less than 0.001".

shop.rcbs.com/WebConne...13J036N012

A buddy has the Lee and it seems to work OK but I wonder about durability.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
stovepipe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Case length trimming? Reply with quote

Lyman universal! High volume pistol or one atta time rifle stuff, one machine does 'em all!
chambered221

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Case length trimming? Reply with quote

Wilson is the best !!!

Doesn't use pilots or collets, always cuts square and all cases are the same length.
Easy to set up and use, even easier if you opt for the micrometer version.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Dawgdad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Case length trimming? Reply with quote

If you want the best for high volume, precise trimming.... and have a lot of money in your pocket...

Get this one.

www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

Indexes on the shoulder datum and will cut as fast as you can stick them in the hole. A buddy that just got one trimmed 1100 .223 brass in under an hour.....

SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Case length trimming? Reply with quote

As you can see, everyone has their own favorite. Bottom line, and to answer your question, is that the Lee will work just fine for the beginning loader or the advanced handloader too. It allows you to eliminate the need for a dial or digital caliper to measure your cases. If it cuts, it needed trimming. If it doesn't, it didn't need it. Pretty simple and fool-proof...not to mention inexpensive.

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Case length trimming? Reply with quote

I bought an RCBS lathe type trimmer for the princely sum of $25 about 25 yrs ago and it is still working a treat. It was a bit fiddly to set up at first, but once set it does a great job, consistently.

But, as SSL say, every one has their favourites and from where I am sitting I don't think it matters which brand you use...if it does the job properly and consistently, and is easy to use, then it is good.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Suzanne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Case length trimming? Reply with quote

I use a Lee with the zip trim pull cord thingy. Tried using a cordless drill but it's slower, if I had a vice to hold the drill it would go quicker but the zip trim is still faster and easier to use. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg either.

Suz

dhc4ever

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Case length trimming? Reply with quote

The Lee is quick, easy and fool proof.
Where the lathe type come into play is when you are making one cartridge from another, ie .222 from .223.
As the resizing changes case length and neck thickness I've found the lathe type better in this situation. For normal reloading I use the Lee.
cheers

Dont do anything you wont like explaining to the paramedics..............
PaulS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Case length trimming? Reply with quote

I have two different lathe type Forster and Lyman. I love them both and they are set one for pistol and the other for rifle. I have them adjusted for the shortest cartridge and then I have made precision shims for each cartridge. I have also made precision pilots for them to fit sized cases. Using dial calipers (6" with .001" graduations) there is no visible difference from one cartridge to the next and changing out bushings, then going back gives the same length. I don't have to adjust anything when changing cartridges just swap in the correct bushing and start trimming.
I tried the Lee trimmer and found that cases from different manufacturers had different depths for the flash hole (not to mention that unless the flash holes were properly trimmed there is flashing inside the case that can cause ALL KINDS of problems).
The lathe trimmers need care to make sure the case is seated and bottomed on the CLEAN case collet but trims from the case head to the top of the neck which is the same dimension used in head spacing.
As I said, a dirty collet or loose pilot can cause problems but if the equipment is maintained it works very well. I still clean the flashing out of the inside and equalize flash holes (hold over from the Lee trimmer and accurizing cases).
If you use something and you are happy with it then keep on using it, I know I will.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 4