Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

lamb patties
Recipes of all kinds, post your favorites!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Recipes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhc4ever

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: lamb patties Reply with quote

Ever wondered what to do with all the left over meat from a leg of lamb?
Thats a real leg not the miniscule crap woolies now sells.

Cut the remaining meat from the bone and dice into small cubes.
Dice 1 onion

Take 1 cup of self raising flour
1 egg
1 cup of milk

Mix the flour, milk and egg into a smooth batter (no lumps) add salt and pepper.
Add onion to batter and let it sit for an hour, cover the bowl with a cloth.
Add meat to batter and onion mix and mix in well.

Spoon out a large spoonful into a hot frypan which has a bit of oil and butter melted in the bottom, cook as per pan cakes, flip when the bubbles start to form. Pull off when golden brown.

Put on plate with mashed potatoes and vegies of your choice, cover with any real gravy left over from roast lamb or use gravox.

Enjoy

Dont do anything you wont like explaining to the paramedics..............
camel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: lamb patties Reply with quote

We called em cold meat fritters when I was a kid in the 60s. The old man took his secret recipe with him when he died a couple of years ago. Still cook my version now and then. Not the same but bloody close. Try sticking can of corn kernals in as well

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: lamb patties Reply with quote

Same here Camel...although Mum would throw in the vegies left over from the previous night as well...fry the whole lot up...called Bubble and Squeak. A magnificent meal.

Thanks guys, a great reminder of good solid nutritious meals from the past.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Suzanne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: lamb patties Reply with quote

MMMMmmmmMMMMm Pancakes with sheep-n-onions? ek!
Wonder how that recipe came about? kind of sounds like an out-back camping thing. Sort of an omelet but without the eggs.....very interesting, unsavory idea. Some of the Native foods I grew up with are equally nasty sounding. We would take cactus pads from the prickly pear cactus and shave off the spines, cut them into strips (like green beans) and then boil them. You have to boil them a couple of times because of the nasty slimy juice that forms. On the second boil you add other veggies and when all is cooked you put some on a tortilla and call it lunch. It's nasty. If you wanted desert you would go outside and find a mesquite tree and pick up the beans from them and chew away to your heart's content.

A life of beans, rice and corn gets boring. Thankfully our food was more influenced by Mexican cooking or I would've grown up with more spines in my tongue. We had goats but no sheep for meat. After I was around 10yrs old or so we had more money to buy real food and our diet was more like potato chips and hamburgers.

There is an on-going move to more traditional foods on the reservation, to teach the younger generation and to supplement their diet with more healthy food, but it won't continue past the school aged people. You just can't get past an unhealthy diet sometimes and the struggle of obesity in the Indian Nation has been like giving liquor to NDNs, it's always been a problem. You know they actually found a gene in Natives that they will tend to be alcoholics or addicts of some sort. Probably a government plot....

Tha's been something I don't miss about living in Tucson, the drunks on government payday. If you go to a certain part of town at night you'll find what looks like dead people all over the place. I'm not talkin about in the parks, they're all over the place, bus stops, on the sidewalk, in the street, propped up on church doorways and businesses. Indians and Mexicans drunk out of their gourd and incapacitated beyond belief. You'd think there's no way they could survive the next payday. It's very very sad and it's a way of life for them. Before I went into the Navy I went to junior college and there was an Indian guy in there that told me that if he graduated, he would be the first of his tribe to ever get past high school. He was a very proud person and seemed very educated. That was in or near the late 1970s. He did graduate too, but was a bank teller, the last time I saw him. Hopefully that was improvement enough for him, but I felt sad for him, going to higher learning only to be a bank teller. Maybe it got him a standing in town and off the res. that's always nice. Thing is, if you don't like the res. there's no way you can live near one. The stigma and the poverty is in your skin. You escape it with your surroundings. Nature is good for everything. It is my church and I will always be reverent.

I'm wakin
up now
Suz

Elvis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: lamb patties Reply with quote

what to do with left over meat from a leg of lamb???
why fight the plurry kids for the pickins on the bone of course Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: lamb patties Reply with quote

Haha Haha Haha Haha

Sounds just like my house mate. When our son in law was still alive, whenever the missus cooked a lamb roast, she would have to put a "plate" aside for him...and he was a brilliant Chef. He loved Tricia's roasts.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
dhc4ever

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: lamb patties Reply with quote

Suzanne wrote:
MMMMmmmmMMMMm Pancakes with sheep-n-onions? ek!
Wonder how that recipe came about? kind of sounds like an out-back camping thing. Sort of an omelet but without the eggs.....very interesting, unsavory idea. Some of the Native foods I grew up with are equally nasty sounding. We would take cactus pads from the prickly pear cactus and shave off the spines, cut them into strips (like green beans) and then boil them. You have to boil them a couple of times because of the nasty slimy juice that forms. On the second boil you add other veggies and when all is cooked you put some on a tortilla and call it lunch. It's nasty. If you wanted desert you would go outside and find a mesquite tree and pick up the beans from them and chew away to your heart's content.

A life of beans, rice and corn gets boring. Thankfully our food was more influenced by Mexican cooking or I would've grown up with more spines in my tongue. We had goats but no sheep for meat. After I was around 10yrs old or so we had more money to buy real food and our diet was more like potato chips and hamburgers.

There is an on-going move to more traditional foods on the reservation, to teach the younger generation and to supplement their diet with more healthy food, but it won't continue past the school aged people. You just can't get past an unhealthy diet sometimes and the struggle of obesity in the Indian Nation has been like giving liquor to NDNs, it's always been a problem. You know they actually found a gene in Natives that they will tend to be alcoholics or addicts of some sort. Probably a government plot....

Tha's been something I don't miss about living in Tucson, the drunks on government payday. If you go to a certain part of town at night you'll find what looks like dead people all over the place. I'm not talkin about in the parks, they're all over the place, bus stops, on the sidewalk, in the street, propped up on church doorways and businesses. Indians and Mexicans drunk out of their gourd and incapacitated beyond belief. You'd think there's no way they could survive the next payday. It's very very sad and it's a way of life for them. Before I went into the Navy I went to junior college and there was an Indian guy in there that told me that if he graduated, he would be the first of his tribe to ever get past high school. He was a very proud person and seemed very educated. That was in or near the late 1970s. He did graduate too, but was a bank teller, the last time I saw him. Hopefully that was improvement enough for him, but I felt sad for him, going to higher learning only to be a bank teller. Maybe it got him a standing in town and off the res. that's always nice. Thing is, if you don't like the res. there's no way you can live near one. The stigma and the poverty is in your skin. You escape it with your surroundings. Nature is good for everything. It is my church and I will always be reverent.

I'm wakin
up now
Suz

Thats a hard upbringing Suz.
Which nation are you part of?

You get a lot of the same problems in many countries indiginous peoples with "modern" diets and alcohol.
The effect of alcohol on many indiginous people is greater than on europeans, it appears that exposure to it over the last 10,000 years we have developed a greater resistance to it than those who have only been exposed to it over the last 400 or so years, although it causes enough grief on whites as well.
The modern diet, well that just seems to be killing everyone regardless of creed or colour or race, it seems the human animal wasnt designed to live on transfat and aspartaim or pure sugar.
The sad fact is this is the majority of food available to the poor or uneducated.
How to turn this around? I can only think of education, both in the particular groups tribal histories etc and modern education to break the cycle. That an trying to inject some self respect and a sense of hope into what appears to be an endless cycle.

Amazing how a simple lamb pattie recipe has turned down this path.

Dont do anything you wont like explaining to the paramedics..............
Suzanne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: lamb patties Reply with quote

Well dhc4ever (down hard for the count 4 ever?) Just teasing!!! I'm a member of the Tohono o'odham tribe in Tucson Arizona. Escaped as a free woman in 1976 when I joined the Navy. The Mexicans used to call us Papago Indians. We set them straight on that one. Papago means bean eaters. Now we are desert people which the original name is reference to. I have to say that since I left the reservation there's been huge changes to the Nation and the pride that the people have in what they've accomplished. They boast a community college now, and that in itself is such an enormous boost for everyone. Education on your own terms has to be refreshing to say the least. Everyone is invited to go to school there, it's not just for the Nation's people, but if you get into a graduate program they require you to take Tohono o' odham language and culture classes. Better be on your toes for that one. It's one thing to speak the language and another to use the language's alphabet and spelling. Can't do it myself. My parents weren't the traditionalist type, but that's in and out of vogue all the time. In most families the parents and grand parents will do most of the teaching of pre-schoolers, and take you to task at it too. I know enough to have a simple conversation but never learned spelling. Here's some sample text I found on the internet;

Ce:daghim 'o 'ab wu:sañhim.
To:tahim 'o 'ab wu:sañhim.
Cuckuhim 'o 'ab him.
Wepeghim 'o 'abai him.

Translation

Greenly they emerge.
In colors of blue they emerge
Whitely they emerge.
In colors of black they are coming.
Reddening, they are right here

Don't know why they chose this, it's a poem, but you get the idea. The colon next to the vowels means to use a long vowel sound. Some letters are pronounced with your tongue in the back of your throat, and some with the tongue against your teeth and it's all just another language and weird if you're not used to it.

Suz (Su:z)
there is no 'z' though

KevineHalls
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: lamb patties Reply with quote

Hey, I thank you for the recipe and for sharing with the community.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Recipes
Page 1 of 1