Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Reloading 2006
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
farrier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading 2006 Reply with quote

I bought one of the RCBS Reloading kits and I love mine. It came with the Rock chucker supreme loading press, a good scale, speer loading manual, RCBS hand primer, case lube kit, loading block and some other stuff that I can't remember. I ordered mine for www.midwayusa.com they had the best price at the time. I recommend it for anyone wanting to start out with a good setup.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading 2006 Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Smile

I'm thinking of possibly getting the RCBS turret press if I do have enough money at the time :).

Reason being is I could set up all the dies and not worry about installing them and reinstalling them and not setting them up right after Very Happy

As for dies I'm thinking about going with Lee. Smile

Dimitri
1895ss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading 2006 Reply with quote

I've had my RCBS Rock Chucker press for more than 25 yrs and never a problem. I use mostly RCBS dies but also have some Lyman and one set of Lee dies. They all work just fine with non working better then the other. Like Jack said, start with a kit, that's the best way. I didn't but I'm not sure if they had kits back then. Smile

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading 2006 Reply with quote

Those RCBS RockChuckers are hard to beat I have had mine for 20+ years and it's still goin strong I wouldn't have any other Very Happy
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading 2006 Reply with quote

coyote_Hunter_...You might look a 32 to 33 grains of W-748 with those 170 grain Speer FNs in .30-30. (Warning: These loads are at or over recommended charges for this powder. Work up slowly and with care). I use a CCI 200 primer in Winchester or Remington cases...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
BigBlue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading 2006 Reply with quote

My first post! Very Happy

Coyote Hunter,
I always had good luck using 37.0gr. of Hodgdon BL-C(2) with Speer 150 gr. bullets in my 30-30. This is a listed max load, but at a lower than modern standards pressure. It can be expanded on in modern lever guns, but the 37.0gr. has proved to be the most accurate for me.
Don

Last edited by BigBlue on Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading 2006 Reply with quote

BigBlue,

Welcome to the forums stay a while and post offen Cheers

Dimitri

BigBlue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading 2006 Reply with quote

Dimitri,
Thanks for the welcome. I was hunting for some 7mm Rem Mag loads when I stumbled onto this forum. I've been using Point Blank software for longer than I can remember. I found it at as a link from another forum quite a while back and really love it for setting up loads.
Don
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading 2006 Reply with quote

And it is going to be up graded soon...At least that's what the "BOSS" says... Very Happy

Welcome to the site BigBlue...

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading 2006 Reply with quote

BigBlue wrote:
Dimitri,
Thanks for the welcome. I was hunting for some 7mm Rem Mag loads when I stumbled onto this forum. I've been using Point Blank software for longer than I can remember. I found it at as a link from another forum quite a while back and really love it for setting up loads.
Don

Welcome to the site.

As for PointBlank I am currently re-writing it fixing bugs and adding in new features. I'm happy with the initial results (using a new language for it than the original was written in) and it looks like it will be alot nicer. Lots more to do still though... but keep checking in for the status updates on it.

-DallanC
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading 2006 Reply with quote

SS nope we didnt have the kit luxury back them ..
Jack

BigBlue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading 2006 Reply with quote

DallanC wrote:

Welcome to the site.

As for PointBlank I am currently re-writing it fixing bugs and adding in new features. I'm happy with the initial results (using a new language for it than the original was written in) and it looks like it will be alot nicer. Lots more to do still though... but keep checking in for the status updates on it.

-DallanC

DallanC,
I've judged the performance of a lot of loads from .223 to .500 S+W on that program. Many times I use it to decide on a cartridge or even a rifle. I often make little cheat sheets on masking tape and put them on my stock for ranges past the point blank range that I set my scope for.
It's long past time I said a personal thanks.
Don
SeniorCoot
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Reloading 2006 Reply with quote

Well we're getting off my topic BUT that's ok--Speaking of rock Chucks- i still use my buddies- he died in a freak hunting accudent just befroe we were going to leave AK to hunt in America in 92--it brings bacl good memories of times past every time i start up.
Going to try Accubonds pushed by H 4831- 54 gr to start- I think the powder and bullets guys are leary of putting out info on heavy loads because of out present societal penchant towards Suing everybody for every thing- i have 4 or 5 sources and each one is different for same powders/bullets/cal--Talking with Nosler guy last week he wasa very hesitant to give loads but i got them and some advice to boot.
farrier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Reloading 2006 Reply with quote

I have never used any dies other than RCBS, and don't get me wrong they work great, but I think that if I were to try something different I might try Hornady theirs has a plug in the seating die that slides up and down, that is suppose to make lining up the bullet with the case a little better, but I don't know.
Has anyone tried the Hornady dies, if so what do you think of them?
I just thought of one down fall for the RCBS dies, and that is I don't like their lock rings, I replace them with forester.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Reloading 2006 Reply with quote

Gee gosh SeniorCoot...I thought we covered it quite well...Hopefully we helped you decide to continue loading your old loads and that your #47 Lyman was mostly up to date except for the new powders and a very few new calibres...Least I thought so...?

Being a SeniorCoot you must have a lot to contribute to this forum...Us young( Very Happy ) guys may need your expertice. So keep talkin'... Cheers Popcorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 3 of 4