Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Bloody Computers !!!!!
Discussions run-amok, innane banter it all goes here
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Bloody Computers !!!!! Reply with quote

Had all sorts of problems with Vista...boot and config files went corrupt without warning. Luckily I managed to get Windows open and was able to backup my data, well most of it anyway. Mad Mad Mad Mad

Now I am in the process of trying to set up Microsoft Outlook for my email again as well as trying to remember email addresses etc. When I did the backup up of my Personal Folders in Outlook...it didn't backup my Contacts list and only about 5% of my data...maybe.

Oh well...getting there...just hope I can remember all of the email addresses, so if you don't here from me by email when you did in the past...drop me an email so I can resave your email address.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Suzanne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Computers !!!!! Reply with quote

Sorry Vinnie, I hate computers as much as I love them. Mine just decided that my anti-virus was going to automatically update itself and pay itself for the new yearly subscription. I truly don't remember telling it it could withdraw from my credit card account to update the subscription. I can back out of it but I needed to update the subscription anyway....what's done is done...bstrds....sure have at it....it's only my system) and Windblows combined. You can switch between the 2 operating systems at start-up. The Lynux is faster, smaller, less problematic and I love it. Only thing is that there are some apps you can't run on Ubuntu. Windows ends up being a must-have. I use the Windows only system for Windows tasks, and the other computer combo system
I use only Ubuntu. The reason I have Windows on it is because of the anti-virus subscription I have, can be used on 2 computers, and I don't know how it will run if I attempt to take Windblows off. (fradycat wussy)Well anyway I'm a little confused if the anti-virus will run on Ubuntu and this way I can live with it....and I feel for you...but hey if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off, right?

SuzNerd

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Computers !!!!! Reply with quote

Sounds like you are significantly more computer literate than me Suz.

Suz the All Knowing Guru wrote:
...but hey if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off, right?

Ain't that the truth mate.

Cheers, Vince

Suzanne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Computers !!!!! Reply with quote

Right now Vinnie my Windows computer is getting updated and I just did a restart and now it wants to update Adobe-reader updater....ok that's just done...what's next, I have to download the new updated anti-virus and then see if my other computer can be updated. Oh I"m no genius with computers, but I'm a tinkerer. What I hate is how computers tinker with US. If you notice the thingy I wrote just above your reply there is a break in the sentences. I'm using my laptop computer to type and the mouse pad gets in the way of my thumb and things go haywire. I actually must have deleted part of my paragraph....sure have at it...it's only my money...is what it should say. It's only my system) and Windblows combined....I don't know where that came from. I need to proof read my posts...or I just had a stroke? I dunno anymore...

Suzwiz

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Computers !!!!! Reply with quote

OK...I am the same...a tinkerer, which my mate over here says is the cause of all my problems. He says I can't leave well enough alone...when its working, don't fix it, although I like to try and improve things with different downloads.

Windblows eh...I know what ya sayin'...but I call it significantly more terrible and disgusting things than that sometimes. Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bloody Computers !!!!! Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
I am the same...a tinkerer, which my mate over here says is the cause of all my problems. He says I can't leave well enough alone...when its working, don't fix it, although I like to try and improve things with different downloads.

Vince, all the best to you. Working through computer issues can be trying. I've not heard much good about VISTA and that is one operating system I will skip.

Oh, I agree with your mate. The less you put on your computer the better it will work. Especially when it comes to software, leave well enough alone!

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bloody Computers !!!!! Reply with quote

Vince
Haven't had an issue since I dumped windoze in 1998 as my main os, I have used Linux ever since and have never had any problem. I have a few windoze only programs that are easily solved by running Parallels software. And the best part of it is if you use a distro like Ubuntu, it will update itself once a week. I have heard more grief with people using vista, and when I was at a shooting buddy's house, he wanted to show me a picture of his grand daughter and it took at least 10 min before he could use the pc cuz it was updating the vista os!!! I just downloaded and burned a disk of the latest Ubuntu and will be heading over there this afternoon to install it and free him from grief.

Suz
In order to remove windows from your dual boot pc, you need to know if both os systems are on the same hard drive or separate drives. The reason is, if both os are on the same hd and you delete the windows side of it, your computer won't boot because the loader (grub) lives on that windoze part. There is a certain way to go about it to remove the windoze side. Also, don't worry about the av program on linux as the windows av will not run under linux. Linux has its own av program called Clam. Oh..and its free and updates itself everyday.

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Computers !!!!! Reply with quote

No troubles with Windows 7 so far, been using it about a year.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
OntheLasGallinas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Computers !!!!! Reply with quote

I'm like you P.S.

I've had no problems with Windows 7.

The only problem I had was not in the operaton of Windows 7, but with me trying to find all the new places that Bill Gates hid all the function buttons.

Once I learned it, I think I like it better. Not a single crash or system lock-up in about 6 months. Not bad.

Cary

English Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Computers !!!!! Reply with quote

I have 64bit 7 on my laptop & it is a lot better than XP that I have on this PC.

Having said that: My old 98SE was the most stable OS I ever had - not one BSOD in five years.
chambered221

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Computers !!!!! Reply with quote

Suz, When you purchase or renew online you are automatically enrolled in the auto renew program............you should have received notice of that along with the opt out information.

Vince, Is it really a issue with Vista or was this self induced ???
Since SP2 came out I and others I know running Vista haven't seen any issues like we did before.

From what I've been told Windows 7 is nothing more than Vista repackaged !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Computers !!!!! Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Methinks a fair bit of the problems are self induced mate...as I said, I am a bit of a tinkerer and I often find free downloads on the net that look like they are good stuff.

The reason I reloaded Windows this time was problems surfaced with the bootmgr, config.sys and goodness knows what other files. Sometimes it would take up to 30 minutes and 20 or more attempts to get the computer to boot up and log on to Windows...and even then there were no guarantees that everything would not lock up, which it did regularly.

Having said that, I think I have to be about the unluckiest guy around when it comes to HDD giving up the ghost. Two internal HDD have died and now my WD Little Book external HDD is not playing the game. It tries to boot, but it only goes so far then it "clicks out"...it stays on, but doesn't open.

Oh well...I consider it hands on learning...OJT.

Cheers, Vince

PaulS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bloody Computers !!!!! Reply with quote

I have had a couple of problems with windoze 7 but i was able to fix them fairly easily - although one of the apps I downloaded to monitor my CPU and memory quit displaying its results and I haven't been able to fix that. I have been considering a linux/DOS machine for a long time... I may have to get to doing that.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Computers !!!!! Reply with quote

Well finally found out what the problem is with my computer...the HDD has decided to cark it on me Mad

My FRED (Flaming Ridiculous Electronic Device) is now in the workshop. I am hoping the turn around time to get it repaired is no more than 7 days...but who knows.

Luckily my daughter has allowed me to use her computer on the odd occasion to keep in touch.

Cheers, Vince

Ominivision1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody Computers !!!!! Reply with quote

Hd drives can fail at anytime, hope you made backups of your important docs and get back here on here asap.

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama
Page 1 of 2