Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824075
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Opinions on Dogs
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Dogs Reply with quote

Quote::
his response was to hell with you if i cant kill a bear why would i want to hunt on you.
Shocked

I might sound weird or something but I wouldnt kill a bear for the sake of killing one let alone wreak a friendship over it. Shocked

See this is something I dont get about hunters. Sure we kill things that we dont plan on eating for the most part but why make a fuss over it if we cant kill it ?? Confused (I'm more of the type of hunter that likes hunting to get meat out of it.)

Same thing can be applied to dog hunting. Why get upset about not using your dog for hunting because the landowner doesnt want it running around and scaring cattle ??

Dimitri
farrier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Dogs Reply with quote

I'm not for hunting deer in Missouri with dogs, mainly because it is illegal. I would not hunt deer in Missouri with dogs if it was legal. I defenitly would not defend someone hunting deer with dogs in Missouri illegally. I defenitly would not defend a fellow land owner for shooting someone elses dog that just happened to scare up a deer either. I think that we as land owners and hunters, which I am both should obey the laws.
I understand shooting a dog for harasing livestock but not scareing up a deer. Coon hunting with dogs is legal in Missouri, dogs are dogs and they will get after a deer once in a while, but that doesn't mean that I am persueing deer and buy shooting my dog you would be putting me out of alot of money and would be breaking the law because dogs can not be in trouble legally for trespassing, only people. Plus you don't know if that dog is trained for running deer or something else. I don't know how you would hunt coons with out dogs unless your a trapper and the coon population is getting pretty heavy. I as a coon hunter would think that the conservation dept. would be able to catch people that run deer with dogs pretty easily because hounds are loud. So if you think they are hunting deer with hounds and tresspassing I would let the conservation dept. know about it, because I gaurantee you that they will not tolerate that.
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Dogs Reply with quote

wirehunt wrote:
About now is when I realize how good we've got it in New Zealand!

I really want to come there and hunt those red stags or whatever they call'em there. Are they on public or private ground? I wonder what the costs would be for a hunt...

-DallanC
progers
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Dogs Reply with quote

Someone mentioned their state allowing dogs to run one certain game but, not another. Wow, that is very strange! That does contradict itself. I wonder what the reasoning behind the Legislature to do that was?

I can tell you that some states in Southern US, such as Mississippi, it is against the law to shoot dogs, of any kind. I'm almost certain that it is a felony. With that being said, if you shoot someone's dog, they can get it replaced before you get out of jail. No matter if that dog is on your property or not. That is the LAW! That is not just an opinion.

We don't have problems with poachers as much as other places. The "good" hunters have banned together to put a stop to it, for the most part. Yes, we protect ALL hunters, that is true. But, a person who is taking game illegaly is NOT a hunter but rather a poacher!

Now, if we can get the crossbow legalized here in LA this year, we will be doing OK!

Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Dogs Reply with quote

progers,

Cheers

The one problem sometimes hunters face is they are protecting poachers because they claim they are hunters and there illegal acts arnt something they talk about. Sad

Dimitri
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Dogs Reply with quote

Farrier...I will assume that you are a horse shoer??? If so, you will understand why I will not tollerate dogs on my property and hunters better check in with me first before hunting...I'm a very protective horse man...Strange??? I just don't know why...Oh yeah...I own a $5,000 horse and I don't need him crippled by a dog running him...Besides...I'm a hunter not a dog runner...

Other then that...Welcome to a fine site...Watch for that Moderator though... Very Happy

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Dogs Reply with quote

I a hoss man too Bushy , so I know u aint speaking agin' me ..
Know bout them 5k hosses too ..
Jack

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Dogs Reply with quote

Saddle mount used for High Mountain trails. He's the one that has been up to 8,000 to 9,000 feet in the Sierras. Him and me have been buddies for around ten years. Follows me around like a lost puppy and never bolts for anything on a mountain trail. Always there...Seems to have that expression on his face when something happens that would spook most horses. "OK...Now what'll we do. Stupid"... Off Topic

GroovyJack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Dogs Reply with quote

I get them looks from mine too .. Kinda humbling .. Ain't it .. It's like they know what to do , and wonder why you dont ..
Jack

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Dogs Reply with quote

Yup...I've learned over the years that no matter what you teach or train them to do they will still revert back to being a horse...And yes, people...I'm still on topic as this guy and his friend are MY dogs...Albeit they weigh in at 1,000 +/- a few pounds...

wirehunt
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Dogs Reply with quote

Quote::
I really want to come there and hunt those red stags or whatever they call'em there. Are they on public or private ground? I wonder what the costs would be for a hunt...

-DallanC

You can hunt public or private
public = free, so you get what you get
Private=big cost, but you get a 'head'

And yes they are red deer.

Also got fallow, whitetail, sambar, sika, wapiti etc

Stephen

farrier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Dogs Reply with quote

Yeah Bush, I am a AFA certified horseshoer and as I think I said before I understand dogs should not bother any kind of livestock due to the financial burden of the owner.
I would destroy a strange dog for killing or harassing any of my livestock but if it were a neighbors I would warn them about it first. That goes with following the laws of your state, I am pretty sure in Missouri you can by law destroy any animal of any kind that is causing destruction of property. My coon hound has never bothered a horse, but my blue heeler has to were a shock collar once in a while. I like to coon hunt, but it is just one of the things that I enjoy. I also enjoy showing quarter horses, raising cattle, target shooting, hunting and fishing. I also understand that I am liable for both of my dogs for the destruction of someones property.
I had a neighbor that had some pigs one time he came over and told me that my dog was killing his pigs so I shot my dog and killed him. I saw my neighbor a couple of weeks later and he said that my dog was still bothering his pigs. When I told him that it could not be my dog because I killed him two weeks ago he felt pretty bad but I was still out of a pretty decent dog. Very Happy

Thanks for the welcome
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Dogs Reply with quote

I cud go off on a rant here , but I'll restrain myself ..
Jack

1895ss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Dogs Reply with quote

My opinion on dogs is this............... I love my Golden Retriever/Yellow Lab cross but some days he pi$$e$ me off with his digging in the flower bed, lawn etc. He's a great dog and seems to love me to pieces, even more than he does my wife and daughter, but some days I think he is looking for lead poisoning. He's very protective of the yard, which is great when I'm gone hunting for a week, but sometimes too protective in the eyes of a stranger. If people only knew that if they opened the gate that he would lick them to death I would have more than enough strangers in the yard at times. OOPs am I off topic......... It is about dogs.... my dog........... Confused Confused Shocked Hiding Off Topic Very Happy

Dimitri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Dogs Reply with quote

If I took some dog treats and fed it to your "attack dog" will it roll over and want to be pet like some others I know ?? Laughing Very Happy ROFL

Dimitri

Last edited by Dimitri on Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 4 of 5