Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

5 round load ignorance
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElyBoy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: 5 round load ignorance Reply with quote

Get this one guys.
While browsing the Sig Forum, which normally has some pretty sharp guys, I posted on a topic, that I only loaded 5 rounds while shooting at the Range because of safety reasons.
Unbelievably, a guy asked why only 5 rounds.
I explained how a semi-auto could go into full auto, and then gave an example of one of my shooters guns going into full auto a couple of years ago, and explained how it happened to his pistol.
I now see two posts making fun of this.

Hard to believe that "experienced" shooters haven't heard of this.

Idiots can be found all over the internet I guess. wtf

Eric

NRA Life Member
slimjim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 round load ignorance Reply with quote

I've seen slam fires before on semi-auto rifles. How does it manifest itself on a pistol? What make was it? I don't think it is possible for a Glock to do this.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
gelandangan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 round load ignorance Reply with quote

Yo Eric, where have you been mate?

Semi auto pistols in my gun club regularly go to full auto, specially if the owner is too lazy to clean them.
Usually resulted from sticking firing pin.

Then again all UIT shoots are 5 shots sequences.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
chambered221

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 round load ignorance Reply with quote

I've seen one that would run 3 round burst !!! Shocked

I was shooting a local single stack match. Wasn't the first time it had happened to this shooter so he kept right on going as if nothing was wrong. When he got done the SO congratulated him on such a fine run. About 2 minutes later the match director showed up wanting to know who the hell just went full auto. The SO still didn't get it !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
ElyBoy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 round load ignorance Reply with quote

The shooter at our Club that had his pistol go full auto is retired and a real good gun guy. He had a brand new Taurus PT 1911 [I didn't mention the make on the Sig Forum or it would have brought down the I hate Taurus guys on me]
We took the gun apart, and the sear was manufactured wrong.
His face turn pure white, and after he calmed down, we all joked about it.

There were a lot of shooters shooting league at the time, and all of them told me that the 5 round load during league shooting was a REAL good rule Laughing

I see on my new emails that there are new posts awaiting me on the Sig Forum.
I figure that I might as well see what all of the "experts" are saying now about this.
It's funny how a guy can stir up a hornets nest on the internet without trying too hard Laughing

Eric

NRA Life Member
ElyBoy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 round load ignorance Reply with quote

I can't believe it.
Two new posts over at the Sig Forum wondering how this could happen. They guessed that it was home gunsmithing. I let them in on how it was a brand new PT 1911.
I can hear the Taurus haters coming out of the wall all ready Very Happy

I very seldom post over there, and mostly look at the classifieds which are great.

What little posting that I do make now days will be kept over here.

I have been too busy to post much at all, and also, my three kids with school work and my Wife on Facebook gives me a very narrow window to log on.

Eric

NRA Life Member
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: 5 round load ignorance Reply with quote

Eric, I can't believe you'd bash Taurus like that and I'm just KIDDING!! I can see how a semi auto could do that but luckily haven't experienced it so far. Most of the dirty autos I've seen had the opposite problem, they wouldn't feed at all. I did have a Kimber 1911 fire when I dropped the slide but it only did it that once.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Gil Martin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: It depends Reply with quote

My local gunsmith had a G.I. 1911A1 in his shop for repair that went full auto from some worn parts. I never had that happen with a semi-auto handgun and am not too worried about it. If one of my guns ever went full auto, I would hang on to it and then go see the gunsmith. All the best...
Gil

Dawgdad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 5 round load ignorance Reply with quote

I had a 1903 pocket pistol in .32 go full auto due to a bad sear too. It can happen and it is a bit surprising when it happens...

SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: 5 round load ignorance Reply with quote

I have had an S&W 745 let off three rounds before stopping due to the sear adjustment screw being set just a tad too light. It had functioned perfectly for hundreds of rounds but the screw probably was slowly creeping out. I have also had 1911s (both Colt and clones) "slam-fire" with worn full-cock notches or weak firing pin springs. Stuff happens and anyone who thinks it can't is just fooling themselves.

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL
Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 round load ignorance Reply with quote

Load of junk Eric. For the sake of safety or not. Rules/guideline like those is what got semi-automatics here in Canada banned to 5-round limits, and the US the original Assault Weapons Ban limit of 10 rounds.

We are shooting ourselves as a whole in the foot using rules and guidelines like those.

If its legal do it and don't tell others not to. Otherwise we start helping the anti-gun politicians and spokesmen to divide and conquer us as we make our own rules to be equal to the law minus X therefor the law should also lower to that bar as well.

Dimitri

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 round load ignorance Reply with quote

Interesting...and valid...argument 'Mitri.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 round load ignorance Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever loaded that few a rounds in one of my pistol magazines.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
ElyBoy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 round load ignorance Reply with quote

Good point D., but I disagree with you. Your problem in Canada is the lack of organizations like our NRA.

This 5 round load goes back many years, long before you and I in Bullseye shooting.
Other types of shooting such as IPSIC use full magazines, but shooters are spread out much more than my shooters, who are in a fairly small blockhouse.

For me, along with the chance of a gun going full auto, I am dealing with many rookie shooters, who have started shooting in my Leagues, just to have me work with them on gun handling, safety, and shooting proficiency.
I have much more control of the range with this rule. I allow all types of pistols, and NOT knowing how many rounds are in each individual gun, puts myself and everybody else in jeopardy of something going wrong.

One time, a couple of years ago, for the last round of leagues for the year, I told all of the shooters to load their magazines full, and to shoot rapid fire.
First, came a call from the Clubhouse and the words "What the hell is going on over there?", and then a couple of friends who own housed within earshot give me a call with pretty much the same question.
Everybody is used to hearing organized shooting from my shooters.
Needless to say, I haven't done that stunt again.

I guess that we will agree to disagree, but, over 5 years of shooting 3 leagues a year, with an average of 40 shooters per league, I haven't had any mishaps, and I feel in complete control.

In a District where Michael Bachmann is our Representative, and both our State Senator, and State Rep. are Club members, I don't think that I have to worry about any gun control issues.

Eric

Eric

NRA Life Member
Elvis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 round load ignorance Reply with quote

I can see your point D if you only use 5 rounds why not have a 5 round magazine? put a block in it. we used to have such a DUMB law here limiting you shotgun to 2 shots when shooting waterfowl. when steel shot came in we got sensible and lifted the limit completely.semi auto rifles have such silly laws with a magazine capacity limit but that only stops the honest guys the big magazines are still out there.the only time I have seen a semi turn to full auto was a Gervarn .22 and its owner did it on purpose when ever he wanted to. it was fun to use but a bit hard on ammo!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 4