Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824170
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

A good rifle for daughter?
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

I think you are too worried about the back-up shot. My vote is for a rifle she is comfortable and can shoot with confidence. If that is a single shot, so be it. I don't think you are going to get the gun from her cycle a new round in and shoot a wounded animal before they get away. I hunt with a bolt gun and unforetunately have seen a couple deer get up and run off after being hit. I wasn't fast enough to get another shot off. If they are wounded and you can get a second shot off, they weren't going to be going far anyway.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Elvis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

how far do you expect the young lass to be shooting??? I have shot few deer over 150yrds but have the ability to do so. most animals just werent that far away. thus the .44 pump which is a rifle just like what she already knows.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

Good point Elvis.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Elvis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

just had a wee look the taurus thunderbolt looks interesting.

tlo7mm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

Well I am thinking I am going to go with the Rossi Trifecta or the Rossi Pack 4. I have decided that if she can't make her shots count like she has learned then she is going to have some tracking to do when the time comes. I intend to take her out after I get the gun and spend a lot of time shooting it with her so she can get proficient with it. The problem I see with the Taurus thunderbolt is that if I were to get that for her I would want to shoot it and would not give her much of a chance to LMAO. Anyway the more I look at the Rossi rifles the more I think they are the route to go. I like the weight and length of the gun for her and I like the idea of being able to get her more then one gun in a single purchase.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain
Elvis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

good call sir. keep us informed.

tlo7mm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

I will certainly do that. I hope to be getting the rifle just after the first of the year.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

Just to muddy the water a bit... Don't forget the T/C Contenders or Encores.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
tlo7mm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

I think I may have found the perfect gun, I was in Walmart last night christmas shopping and I wanted to look at the guns while I was there. I found a fantastic Remington 700 youth in a .243 for $379. I looked at the gun and it looks like exactly what I am looking for. its only about a $100 dollers more then the Rossi trifecta and hase better resell value. Not that I would get rid of it, if my daughter does't continue hunting I may use it as a light carry gun/brush gun lol. I am not a Remington fan by any means but I like this gun a lot for the price. I am a true blue Ruger fan but I am not going to spend the money on a Ruger Compact for an entry level hunter especially if she doesn't stick with it. Anyway I am not on the path to finding out how I can come up with the money for the gun.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

Bonus 7mm...you done goodly mate.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

I am helping a shooting buddy find a rifle for his young sons. Looked at a break-open Rossi youth single shot in .243. It was nice at $200. However, the Mossberg bolt action youth was "sweet"!! The youth stock was well balanced and nicely proportioned with a spacer when they get a little older. You could by a full-size stock when they are all grown up. Only $286 at Cabela's for a .243. This year they are coming out with a version in 7mm-08! I was really impressed!

mossberg 100atr super bantam youth rifle at100.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.5 KB
 Viewed:  4276 Time(s)

mossberg 100atr super bantam youth rifle at100.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
tlo7mm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

I was never able to get the Remington as when I went back to purchase it the price went up greatly. The mossberg interests me greatly. I especially like the 7mm-08 idea. I will be looking into that for sure.

Northern Canuck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

I started my oldest daughter on a 22-250 at age 12 which is legal for deer at home (1 shot one dead buck) and the next year I got her the Browning Micro Hunter in 7mm-08. My youngest girl shot it at age 12. Very nice shoting. They were able to shoot 14 inch pumpkins filled with water at 275 yards with no misses. I just let them shoot because I didn't want to hear any teasing if I happened to miss Shocked . They never ever complained about the recoil despite the fact they small framed. Nice cartridge that will last for years and is very versitile. Good Luck and have fun they grow up very quickly Sad
Northern Canuck
inthedark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

tlo7mm wrote:
So I am pretty sure I have made up my mind on this but I thought I would like to hear everyones suggestions. So I am going to be mentoring my daughter this next year during Spring Turkey and during deer season. I am going to her a rifle that would be a good beginner rifle. I have some ideas of what I may purchase but I am looking at entry level, light weight and inexpensive. I am thinking I am going to go with a .243, she is only 9 and I have a gun that would work okay but thought I would like something that would do the job well and not knock her around. I am also going to get her a 20 gauge for turkey hunting. Anyway any thoughts you may have would be helpful.

PS I am absolutly not getting a Remington model 770.

I can recommend a a good book for referencing what cartridges are the best choice for your criteria (your daughter's first guns) and it is the "Cartridge Comparison Guide" by Chamberlain Development Inc www.cartridgecomparisonguide.com ISBN 0-9790335-2-7
It is a good reference for anyone who loads shoots and can pick the fly shit out of the pepper when it comes to the mechanics of recoil, bullet performance and ranges etc.
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

well what did you get in the end????

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 3 of 4