HuntingNut
HuntingNut
   Login or Register
HomeCommunity ForumsPhoto AlbumsRegister
     
 

User Info

Welcome Anonymous


Membership:
Latest: smitty3855
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 12622

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 252
BOT: 0
Total: 252
Who Is Where:
 Visitors:
01: Forums
02: Forums
03: Forums
04: Forums
05: Forums
06: Forums
07: Your Account
08: Forums
09: Photo Albums
10: Forums
11: Forums
12: Forums
13: Forums
14: Forums
15: Forums
16: Forums
17: Forums
18: Forums
19: Forums
20: Forums
21: Forums
22: Photo Albums
23: Forums
24: Photo Albums
25: Forums
26: Photo Albums
27: Forums
28: Forums
29: Forums
30: Forums
31: Your Account
32: Forums
33: Your Account
34: Forums
35: Forums
36: Forums
37: Forums
38: Your Account
39: Forums
40: Forums
41: Photo Albums
42: Forums
43: Photo Albums
44: Forums
45: Forums
46: Your Account
47: Forums
48: Forums
49: Forums
50: Forums
51: Forums
52: Your Account
53: Forums
54: Forums
55: Forums
56: Forums
57: Photo Albums
58: Forums
59: Photo Albums
60: Photo Albums
61: Photo Albums
62: Forums
63: Forums
64: Your Account
65: Forums
66: Forums
67: Forums
68: Forums
69: Photo Albums
70: Photo Albums
71: Forums
72: Forums
73: Photo Albums
74: Forums
75: Forums
76: Forums
77: Forums
78: Forums
79: Forums
80: Forums
81: Forums
82: Forums
83: Forums
84: Photo Albums
85: Forums
86: Forums
87: Forums
88: Your Account
89: Forums
90: Forums
91: Forums
92: Photo Albums
93: Forums
94: Forums
95: Forums
96: Forums
97: Forums
98: Forums
99: Forums
100: Your Account
101: Forums
102: Photo Albums
103: Forums
104: Forums
105: Forums
106: Your Account
107: Your Account
108: Forums
109: Photo Albums
110: Photo Albums
111: Forums
112: Forums
113: Forums
114: Forums
115: Your Account
116: Forums
117: Forums
118: Forums
119: Forums
120: Forums
121: Forums
122: Forums
123: Forums
124: Forums
125: Forums
126: Your Account
127: Forums
128: Forums
129: Forums
130: Photo Albums
131: Photo Albums
132: Forums
133: Forums
134: Forums
135: Your Account
136: Photo Albums
137: Forums
138: Forums
139: Forums
140: Forums
141: Forums
142: Forums
143: Your Account
144: Forums
145: Forums
146: Forums
147: Photo Albums
148: Photo Albums
149: Your Account
150: Forums
151: Your Account
152: Forums
153: Forums
154: Home
155: Forums
156: Forums
157: Forums
158: Forums
159: Forums
160: Photo Albums
161: Forums
162: Your Account
163: Forums
164: Forums
165: Home
166: Photo Albums
167: Forums
168: Forums
169: Photo Albums
170: Forums
171: Forums
172: Forums
173: Photo Albums
174: Photo Albums
175: Forums
176: Forums
177: Home
178: Forums
179: Your Account
180: Forums
181: Forums
182: Forums
183: Forums
184: Forums
185: Forums
186: Forums
187: Forums
188: Forums
189: Forums
190: Forums
191: Forums
192: Forums
193: Forums
194: Forums
195: Forums
196: Your Account
197: Forums
198: Home
199: Forums
200: Forums
201: Forums
202: Forums
203: Forums
204: Forums
205: Forums
206: Forums
207: Forums
208: Your Account
209: Forums
210: Forums
211: Forums
212: Forums
213: Your Account
214: Forums
215: Forums
216: Forums
217: Forums
218: Forums
219: Forums
220: Forums
221: Forums
222: Forums
223: Home
224: Forums
225: Your Account
226: Forums
227: Forums
228: Forums
229: Forums
230: Forums
231: Forums
232: Home
233: Forums
234: Forums
235: Forums
236: Your Account
237: Forums
238: Forums
239: Your Account
240: Forums
241: Forums
242: Forums
243: Forums
244: Forums
245: Forums
246: Your Account
247: Your Account
248: Forums
249: Your Account
250: Forums
251: Your Account
252: Your Account

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
 

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 305
 Pictures: 2361
  · Views: 444671
  · Votes: 1310
  · Comments: 86
 

Support our Advertisers

Aussie F-111s
Discussions run-amok, innane banter it all goes here
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Pumpkinslinger
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Sep 22, 2007
Posts: 4490
Location: NC foothills

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Aussie F-111s Reply with quote

I thought our Australian friends might be interested in this story about the RAAF F-111s being retired and their final flight.


news.ninemsn.com.au/ar...id=8173851

_________________
Mike

"I ain't no better than anyone else, and there ain't no one better than me!" Ma Kettle

Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Vince
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 25, 2005
Posts: 13634
Location: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie F-111s Reply with quote

Yep...the Pig has been retired Punkin.

They made their final farewell flight this morning (they are based about 20km (as the crow flies) from my place...we had a couple do a flyover of Brisbane as a farewell. They will be missed...they are famous for their ability to "dump and burn" and put on a display at a number of different times throughout the year.

On a different note...I cannot understand why they are retiring them. The F-111 is still the best fighter/bomber in the world today. Not the best fighter, not the best bomber...but the best combination aircraft...and their range is excellent for Australia. Oh well, I suppose the boffins know what they are doing (or reckon they do). They are being replaced with Super Hornets so only time will tell whether or not they have made the right decision.

Cheers, Vince

_________________
Cheers, Vince Cheers

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
gelandangan
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 07, 2006
Posts: 5871
Location: Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie F-111s Reply with quote

Yeah, they fly the "Pigs" real low so some of us have opportunity to take photos.

Problem is they do not have real replacement for these..
Must have been some internal politics with well greased wheels in the decision making machinery.

Just inline with the decision to scrap the SLR's, and now according to rumors,
there is NOT ENOUGH WORKING RIFLES there to outfit every enlisted person in Australian defense force.
I hope this aint true.. sad..

_________________
A straight line is the shortest distance between two points.
A smile is the shortest distance between two people.

The government I trust .. is my .45-70 Government.

Do - Not try!


gelandangan.weebly.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Vince
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 25, 2005
Posts: 13634
Location: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie F-111s Reply with quote

There is no shortage of rifles Gelan...although they odd one or two might not be totally serviceable.

Cheers, Vince

_________________
Cheers, Vince Cheers

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
PaulS
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Posts: 3546
Location: South-Eastern Washington - the State

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie F-111s Reply with quote

The F/A 18 S is being surplussed out of the USA air force to make room for the new fighter/ bombers based on the F22 design. They are probably getting them real cheap with a lot of spare parts (which they will need to keep them in the air).

_________________
Paul
__________________
Speer, Lyman, Hodgdon, Sierra, and Hornady = reliable loading data
So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7562
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie F-111s Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
They will be missed...they are famous for their ability to "dump and burn" and put on a display at a number of different times throughout the year.

For those that haven't see this display of "fire", here is a link to some photos. The F-111s even did this at night for the Olympics. They can do this because their fuel dump nozzle is on center-line over the engines. The pilot would dump fuel then light their afterburners to ignite the now trailing fuel-air mixture. The airplane's speed is faster than the flame front can advance, thus protecting the aircraft from catching fire.

F-111 "Dump and Burn" Photos

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7562
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie F-111s Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
I cannot understand why they are retiring them. The F-111 is still the best fighter/bomber in the world today.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-111

Vince, I'm surprised they have stayed in the air this long. The F-111 entered service in 1967. Think of it this way, how many people are still driving a 40-year old car around? As an aircraft ages, they run into two problems; service life and parts obsolescence. The airframe structure is only designed to take so much fatigue before cracks develop. Often the cracks develop in areas that can not be inspected. Crack growth can have catastrophic results. Often, it is just too hard to find parts to keep them flying. This problem starts early in an fighter’s life. Even the F-35 which hasn’t even entered service yet has parts obsolescence that has to deal with. We have already had to redesign replacement parts that are form-fit-function or do a life-time buy where we purchase enough parts to cover the service life of the airplane and just store them.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7562
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie F-111s Reply with quote

PaulS wrote:
The F/A 18 S is being surplussed out of the USA air force to make room for the new fighter/ bombers based on the F22 design.

F/A-18s are a US Navy fighter. A surplussed F/A-18 isn't woth much. They had structural cracking issues early in their life. Canada but flight restrictions on their fleet of F/A-18s so they could use them long enough to afford to buy replacements.

The F-22 just entered operational service a couple of years ago and is already out of production. I walked down the production line today and the lights are turned out. Sad

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
PaulS
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Posts: 3546
Location: South-Eastern Washington - the State

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie F-111s Reply with quote

Slim - what about the dirivitives? the navy/ marine attack fighter and the airforce fighter/interceptor? I think there is a total of four different planes - some are not yet ready to put into service - "Raptor" comes to mind.

_________________
Paul
__________________
Speer, Lyman, Hodgdon, Sierra, and Hornady = reliable loading data
So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail
Vince
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 25, 2005
Posts: 13634
Location: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie F-111s Reply with quote

WOW...I would have been present at all of the "dump and burn" pics taken in Brisbane.

There are some that say we should never have bought the FA18 because it is a Naval orientated aircraft...we should really have bought the F15 for our ground attack and also air superiority roles. Like everything else, I would hazard a guess at saying the decisions to purchase would have been politically motivated.

Cheers, Vince

_________________
Cheers, Vince Cheers

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7562
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie F-111s Reply with quote

PaulS wrote:
Slim - what about the dirivitives? the navy/ marine attack fighter and the airforce fighter/interceptor? I think there is a total of four different planes - some are not yet ready to put into service - "Raptor" comes to mind.

The derivatives of the F-18 including the 2-seat attack and electronic warfare, have stayed in service the Navy and Marine Corp. The USAF has not procured any F-18s nor would I expect them to.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-18

The Raptor is the F-22 and it is already out of produciton and, because of its technology, was not allowed outside the US Air Force.

Vince, I agree with you. Your country would have been way better off with the F-15!

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
tcknight
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Oct 09, 2009
Posts: 327
Location: Arkansas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie F-111s Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
Vince, I'm surprised they have stayed in the air this long. The F-111 entered service in 1967. Think of it this way, how many people are still driving a 40-year old car around? As an aircraft ages, they run into two problems; service life and parts obsolescence.

EXCEPT of course the DC3 which entered service in 1935. The only replacement for a DC3 is another DC3. Very Happy Smoke jumpers used a 1946 model just this last May to jump to a fire (in Texas for the very first time) in Big Bend National Park.

Here's a cool story on why the Aussies turned down a DC-10 for firefighting tanker duty. But not because of old age although they are 1970's vintage.

wildfiretoday.com/2010...australia/

We also still fly DC-7's for fire fighting in the Forest Service and they were produced from 1953 - 1958. Of course, I'm not making light of your point on cracks and stresses since it was a 1957 Model C-130 I think which lost it's wings over a California wildfire five or six years ago. Correction: 8 years ago. Time flys. It was June 17, 2002.

Here's to great old aircraft. Cheers

Long live the "collection of parts flying in loose formation!" Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7562
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie F-111s Reply with quote

tcknight wrote:
Long live the "collection of parts flying in loose formation!"

Here, Here!!

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
radar
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Oct 01, 2008
Posts: 1108
Location: North Island New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie F-111s Reply with quote

About 25 years ago I lived in Palmerston North which is about 30km from Ohakea which was NZs biggest Airforce base (when we had an attack wing) and saw an air display by F111s from Brisbane - FKN Awesome, same display had an F15 which took off the runway then did a power climb straight up acelerating until it passed through the sound barrier.

All NZ had was some A4 Skyhawks - We don't even have them now. Mothballed about 10 years ago by a Labour Govt. You know? the skyhawks were older than me!!! Bit like the family axe 3 new heads and 2 new handles.

Anyway I would dearly love to attend an real airshow in either USA or GB and see all them big boys toys doing it!

_________________
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail Photo Gallery
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7562
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie F-111s Reply with quote

radar wrote:
I would dearly love to attend a real airshow in either USA or GB and see all them big boys toys doing it!

Ah, yes! The sound of freedom!!

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama
Page 1 of 2
All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next



Jump to:  


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Advertisements
 


Valid CSS! Valid HTML 4.01!
Click to check if this page is realy HTML 4.01 compliant for speed :)

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of HuntingNut.com.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2011 by HuntingNut.com
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy

.: Upgraded to DragonFly 9.2 by Dizfunkshunal :.