Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824024
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting?
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
POP!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Reply with quote

Absolutely. 44 357 or the 500 (in camp)

1895ss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Reply with quote

Dimitri, do you think the total hand gun ban Mad they are talking about will happen in your Province? Most if not all other Provinces will opt out by the sounds of it.

Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Reply with quote

1895ss,

In 2 years I dont plan on being in Ontario anymore. If they do it doesnt mattter to me. I'm pretty much all set to join the Navy after I'm done Tool and Die at the college now Very Happy

After the Navy who knows I'm thinking I might get myself a little farm with the money I'm gonna be saving while in the Navy in Alberta or oddly enough where you live. wtf lol I'm just joking sounds like a nice place over there thats why I'd think about moving there. Very Happy Cheers

Dimitri
1895ss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
1895ss,

In 2 years I dont plan on being in Ontario anymore. If they do it doesnt mattter to me. I'm pretty much all set to join the Navy after I'm done Tool and Die at the college now Very Happy

After the Navy who knows I'm thinking I might get myself a little farm with the money I'm gonna be saving while in the Navy in Alberta or oddly enough where you live. wtf lol I'm just joking sounds like a nice place over there thats why I'd think about moving there. Very Happy Cheers Dimitri

Well you are more than welcome to move out here. Alberta seems to be getting crowded in areas but not so for Sask. We do have a few more freedoms it seems. Very Happy

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Reply with quote

Well Hi dimitri...Nice to see ya....Single actions safer...Yes and at the same time no...depends how you carry them. In the brush if the hammer is exposed on a single action...Well you can guess. And getting a single action into action takes a bit longer. Not against SAs, In fact I love them...Double actions and auto loaders will get into action faster if needed...and because of smaller easier to protect hammers might be a better bet. I know a lot of people that carry one or the other two and swear by them...You pick...

GroovyJack...Do ya think ya may have dug the hole at the same time as you kilt-em...Easier to burry I guess....

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Reply with quote

Bushmaster,

Thanks for the reply Smile

I always assumed if you had a SA and had the hammer down it would be safer then a DA if something get stuck in the trigger gaurd. Cool

The original 1911's are the only SA's auto's around for the most part I think. I'm not sure but I'm sure a company offers a DA version nowadays to compete with Glocks and the like that are DA. Confused

1895ss,

Just wondering what type of game is there and fishing ?? I know books say this and this and that but I want to find out from someone who lives there and doesnt just write about it Razz Very Happy

Dimitri
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Reply with quote

Dimitri...The only safety feature on any firearm is YOU. All the rest are designed by man and are destined to fail...I carry a single action, either my Colt SAA or my Ruger Blackhawk SAA, when I am on a ride into the mountains for longer then a day on horse back in an open top holster (Bianchi Lawman) with a hammer strap that goes behind the hammer to prevent it from being cocked and it still can happen. With any outside hammered hand guns or rifles take particular care to insure that you know where the muzzle and the hammer are and protect-em at all times.

My other side arm that I take almost everywhere else is my Mod 19 S&W. I tend to prefer wheel guns in the wilderness over auto loaders...'Course I AM a bit old fassion...But I do know what works...At least for me...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
1895ss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Reply with quote

I sent you a PM Dimitri so as to not get off topic. Thanks Smile

mikekuzara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Reply with quote

In camp I carry my M1911,(cocked and locked) my dad caries his Ruger 357 Mag Blackhawk (serial number 4551 by the way, he bought it brand new).
When actually hunting, I don't see the point. I have a much more powerful gun in my hand, that also doubles as a handy club if I run out of ammo. It would take too much time to drop my rifle and draw a pistol. Most times I will pack a ruger MK II in my pack, just in case I get lost and need to pop squirrels or rabbits, it makes much less of a mess than shooting them with a 30-06.

Set a man on fire and he is warm the rest of his life.
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:

If I did carry for hunting I'd carry a Ruger BlackHawk in 41 Rem Mag it seems like the way to go. Razz Its Single action so the trigger cant engage the hammer right ?? If so I rather get that then the DA Redhawk. Single Actions are safer no ?? Confused

Dimitri,

Just have to chime in for a second.......Like Bushmaster say's....the only safety is you, and in essence, just keep your finger off the bang switch and you'll be fine Very Happy And as for your hunting selection, that's just fine Cool

Although depending what you get a feel for....DA or SA, is totally up to you and what you are comfortable with. Me, i can't shoot a SA (SAA style frame, not Bisley frame because i can shoot those Very Happy ) worth a damn but DA there is no problem for me at all and it all has to do with my level of comfort with the revolvers.

Other than a 1911 is a Browning High Power that are still around, but you are able to "tune" a 1911 to your shooting style better.
As for DA to directly compete with Glock......Well.... (I am however partial to Glock and always will be) I'd say as far as simplicity, and ease of care, Glock has cornered the market with the least amount of moving parts (and parts in general) as well as accuracy and reliability (not once has any of my Glocks failed on it's own, only by the fault of myself making it stove pipe through trial and error while tuning and smithing it). Although and to give some "unbiased" info, HK is also a DA i would consider to be able to compete with Glock, and has so very well!

Outside of "Poly guns" you have Para Ordnance (canadian based) which now produces a DA style pistol with their "LDA" models which i really do like, very reliable. Sigarms is another top company.....although i have a VERY high bias against them for stress cracks in a pistol i owned from them, i understand it probably was an isolated incident.....but nonetheless i don't trust them "for me and me only" because some of my friends have owned and carried them without a flaw, and with reliability and accuracy.

I could go on about many other pistol/revolver insights, more personal preferences and opinions based upon usage, but that would take all day. Cool

Hopefully this gives you some ideas and if you have any other questions, PM me at any time.

Dimitri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Reply with quote

I do realize that safty is up to me Very Happy And I do realize a persons actions cause AD's 90% of the time as well :).

The thing is I like to be 100% safe. Hense why I thought a SA is safer since the trigger cant engage the hammer. I can admit though I know nothing about handguns and only ever handled a couple at Hunting Shows here.

I'd prefer a revolver over a auto anyday for hunting. I wouldnt think I'll need more then 6 shots on a animal and if I did I'd probrobly slap myself after. Embarassed Auto's just dont seem right in a hunt sorry for any of you that use them. Its a personal reason I think revolvers seem more "hunting weapons" then auto's.

Now I cant remember the make but out of the pistols I've handled I really liked this one 1911 with wood grips. The SIG I think didnt feel right being all plastic. I might be young but it doesnt feel right using plastic instead of metal and wood Very Happy

Dimitri
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Reply with quote

Dimitri,

I do understand you want to be 100% safe, but you have to understand it isn't an action, but a state of mind.....If "You" feel it is more safe, then mentally you started a reaction in your mind that it makes you feel more comfortable, to do, or carry/shoot a SA.
But handling and shooting as you know are two different things....and take it from me....I've bought MANY guns just because "they felt good" initially, but after shooting i ended up loosing out because of selling a used gun.

I hunt with both revolver's and auto's, and have a good feel for both depending on my individual situation. However, a bad rep for the auto came when hunters excessively underestimated potentials and didn't use the right ammo/gun combination or bad shot placement. Many people hunt with different semi auto makes and models, and prefere this to revolvers, not because of capacity, but because of expierence and different expierences with them. You never know, you may come to like a semi auto once you get to try one. Very Happy

With the "plastic" i like and prefere it....why? Because of weight, reliability, and modern advanements in polymers make them indeed stronger than many of the lightweight and regular metals. I've carried a Glock model 22 everyday for 10+ years with not one hicup. I now carry between a Glock 23 and a Glock 27 because my friend wanted my Glock 22 and i traded for my now Glock 23. So if the "plastic" thing scares ya, don't let it because i've honestly put over 150,000 rounds through my Glock 22 (and how many my friend has now, i don't know) but it's still kicking, and good! I tried that with a regular 1911 and i had quite a bit of slop, with accuracy being compromised. Don't get me wrong though, i love the feel of a modular frame 1911 and have shot thousands of rounds without problems either....but damn their heavy. Razz

I can almost guarantee once you have the ability, and get more into pistols, the flavors are limitless, but the knowledge gained is priceless! Wink

Dimitri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Reply with quote

10Ring,

Now thats alot of bullets through a handgun Shocked

Well maybe after I'm done college I'll find myself a guided hunt down there and try pistol hunting seeing as I dont think anywhere in Canada they allow it.

The first handgun I'll probrobly ever get to use is a SIG 226 (I think based on my planned job path in life). Maybe it will make me like plastic frames. Razz

Dimitri
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Reply with quote

Dimitri,

Definately try it out, i guarantee with even either you will have a great time.

And just to let ya know, the Sig P226's have a stainless steel slide and an alloy frame.....the Sig Pro (with the SP prefix) has the polymer frame.8)

Take care,

10Ring

Dimitri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Carry a Sidearm when Hunting? Reply with quote

10Ring,

I didnt know that. I feel lost and confused when it comes to handguns. Sad

The Canadian Forces issues to the Navy, AirForce and Special Forces P225's and P226's instead of the standard issue Browning Hi-Power.

Tell me though what is your take on the SIG verse other types of pistol and would a SIG in 40 S&W or 357SIG be ok for hunting ??

Dimitri
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 2 of 7