Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Hand Loading Shotgun Slugs
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Hand Loading Shotgun Slugs Reply with quote

Howdy. I have never reloaded shotgun shells only CF rifle and pistol. I would asume you can load full bore slugs. But what about Sabots do they sell componets to do this. If they do and the accuracy is there it may be a cost effective way to combat the high price of sabots.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Loading Shotgun Slugs Reply with quote

AMEN to that! I was just thinking that after you said how much you paid for the Hornady slugs. I know if i had the products available back then when i used primarily slugs, i would have saved 3 fold!

popgun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Loading Shotgun Slugs Reply with quote

I have seen the sabots available somewhere. Hummmmm ... oh well.
You can get into it using Lee shotshell reloader and get their slug mold, handles, and a melting pot. If you only shoot slugs it would probably be cheaper in the long run to just buy the things. Heck you won't be shooting to many of those sholder breakers anyhow.

View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Flint54

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Loading Shotgun Slugs Reply with quote

Cool Lee makes a slug mold that uses a standard wad cup for the Sabot. I have never tried it but have heard that some have had good results. I would think that the best material would be pure lead as it would expand somewhat but the best feature is that pure lead would hold together where a mixture could start breaking up on bone. Much like a muzzleloader maxi is best made out of pure lead so that it holds together. Cool
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Loading Shotgun Slugs Reply with quote

Shrpshtrjoe, I load the LEE 1oz Drive Key slugs on a Lee Load All press using standard wads. They work fine in my Fausti Stephano O/U 12g.

Lee Precision Drive Key Slug Mold

This link will give you more info Joe.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Loading Shotgun Slugs Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Vince good info. I also found this site www.slugsrus.com they have some good info as well. With the high cost of sabots i may seriously consider loading them my self.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Loading Shotgun Slugs Reply with quote

I thought that maybe it is time to reserect this thread.

I have cast up a quantity of 12g slugs using a 1oz Lee Drive Key mould. I cast a couple of different alloys.....pure lead, a 2% tin / 6% antimony mix and pure Linotype. All weighed within less than 1/10th of an ounce of one another. Now before the purists rip me a new "one" for using anything other than pure lead, I decided to try a harder alloy for increased penetration on mud encrusted pigs.

My loads consisted of an aussie powder called AP70N and a Spanish powder, PSB1, from the manufacturers of RIO Cartridges.

Rio

My initial tests were for pressure signs and "fall of shot" accuracy between the two powders, but as it turned out I got a pretty good idea of penetration as well. My target was a sheet of cardboard attached to a hardwood eucalypus tree...well I was in the field...and suited the purpose.

Five shots, standing unsupported, from 50 metres all landed within a circle approximately 14 inches in diameter, with two of the shots with the same load being about 3 inches apart. I am going to do a little more development on that load. Very Happy Very Happy

The real surprise came when I took the target down to have a look at the remains of the slugs....remember this was a hardwood eucalypt. Well, the pure lead one penetrated about 2 inches and mushroomed nicely,
the 2% tin / 6% antimony pentrated about 4 inches and sort of bent a little and the pure linotype pentrated about 6 inches and can almost be reloaded. All three are shown in the pics below. The rest I couldn't find cause they dug a large furrow through the side of the tree and kept going.

I believe that I am well on the way to developing some good pig "medicine". Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

slugs 1.jpg
 Description:
Left to right:
Pure Lead,
Linotype,
2% Tin/6% Antimony
 Filesize:  21.91 KB
 Viewed:  11109 Time(s)

slugs 1.jpg

slugs 2.jpg
 Description:
Left to right:
Pure Lead,
Linotype,
2% Tin/6% Antimony
 Filesize:  33.47 KB
 Viewed:  11109 Time(s)

slugs 2.jpg

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 1