No staff members are online!

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824080
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Mossy 4x4 .300 WM re-eval w/ handloads....
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stovepipe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Mossy 4x4 .300 WM re-eval w/ handloads.... Reply with quote

So, took El Kabong to the range for our first outing.
It's my first "heavy'ish" magnum. I've got rifle experience, plenty, but with sliding open sights mostly, sans our old .280. Now the peepers are fuzzed out good so...time for really cool optics.

Got to my spot- waaaay down away from everyone so the blast would not be so offensive, I was being overly-cautious as I did not know what to expect with this thing and did not want to offend anyone.
Tried to swab the bore but, even with a .22cal jag my .30cal patches were not going down the bore. I found a nice gent a few spots down who was eager to help and gave me some thinner patches. He was really nice, had a killer boomer buffalo rifle and a nice what looked like 6mm BR, plus a ton of gear and a reloading bench. He was ready for anything! I was grateful for his help as well. You really do meet the nicest people on the high-power range.

Finally got set up, put out some paper at 25y at the cease fire, did a quick bore-sight, first hit was a little low/left, fixed it. Swabbed the bore. Out to 50y on paper, one shot center high and swabbed the bore, then gave the target frame to the kids and focused on the 200y 16" gongs and silhouette's swabbing every 3rd shot 'till about half way through the box. Nice healthy *ping!*. Zero'ed the turrets there @ 200y + a few inches.

Tried to hold over with the dot's for 300y but missed, I forgot the dope book I made at home and my brain was overloaded and the math was drawing a blank. My spotter called the miss, I adjusted, hit it next shot. Busted the bottom bolt and now it sways when you tag it. *blang-langa-langa-lang!*

Then to 400y, 2 misses/adjustments, *ping!*. Belly shot on the ram, need to adjust it up a tad.

At 500y the 250m sized ram was pretty small at 6x. No one had whacked it yet and it was clean so I cranked it up to 15x. I tried 3 times, missed each one. Whacked the post once. Time for a break and a snack as at this angle the gun is starting to hop and at this x-power I'm losing the target big time each shot and can't see my misses.

Then went back to 200y setting, confirmed, then back up the ladder but could not get the 500y ram and my spotter had moved on.
This load was a Federal 180gr Power-shok with a Speer Hot-Cor SP. I think the gun likes it as I could repeat hits with recorded settings and finished out the box in 3-4 shot strings letting it cool some in-between.

Tried again after taking a break, and sighting in my .22lr with the scope that originally came with this .300, with a Fusion 180gr load. Could not connect at 400y with this one and it did not like the settings I had for the prior load even though the bullet weights and advertised FPS were the same. I figured they would be close but they were really, really different.
I can't blame the ammo. I was getting tired after 30 rounds on this thing, two handguns and a brick of .22's and my spotter had moved on so I was firing blind, guessing and missing.

I think next time I'll spend more time on paper as I think I went about this sort of backwards, but them steels out to 700y are just too tempting. I'll also go from a bag and adjust the trigger down and work on my hold/technique.

I have an awful lot to learn and I need to work up a load too. There's a lot going on all at once and the math involved to anticipate and/or correct for a shot at a different distance is new to me and overwhelming, but I'll get it. Having a spotter was a big help as the sight pic was way gone darn near every shot so it was next to impossible to see where I missed.

The gun shoots really nice.
The stock is super comfy. My cheek never got bit. No wrapped knuckles. No scope-eye, not even close. The brake did it's job methinks.
The blast kicked up some dust, even from the bench, and would get your attention so I'm glad I parked away from others.
The pressure was intense. I could feel it heavily in my sinus and gums. Big time.
The recoil was minimal. No flinch, no issues. I made a quick supplemental pad out of 1/8" biofoam for under my shirt I snatched from some old moto gear and I think that, the brake and the extra weight from the bipod and upgraded glass made the difference. No bruise's, no soreness, 37 rounds.
The trigger broke really clean and surprised me every time.
The only real take-up is the "safety lever" in the trigger. I'm looking forward to adjusting it down just a tad.
I had no issues at all with either the Bushnell 3200 Tactical Elite scope or the rifle.
It does bounce a bit off the bipod at times/different angles. I had no bag under the butt, and it was lower than I liked, the berms are 8-10' high between 100y ranges. But all in all just simply plopping down the rifle on the bench with a bipod and some ammo it did as expected and then some.

I need some work though but am looking forward to improving and the new challenges ahead.

Last edited by stovepipe on Fri May 28, 2010 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
slimjim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Mossy 4x4 .300 WM first run... Reply with quote

stovepipe wrote:
I think next time I'll spend more time on paper as I think I went about this sort of backwards, but them steels out to 700y are just too tempting.

Stovepipe, I've been waiting for your report to see how well your new addition shot. From your description, I can tell you had fun but ... those long range targets were tempting and they suckered you in! I second your recommendation to spend more time on paper. Different bullets/cartridges with the same velocity don't equate to the same POI. They can be inches apart and group very differently. I had spent a lot of time with my new rifle out to 300 yards and knew exactly where every shot would go. When I stepped out to 500 yards, it was like I knew nothing about how each load would shoot. Only 1 our of 4 loads shot where I expected. They all have different 100-yard zeros. The bullets you have are good for breaking a rifle in and shooting out to 200 yards but I wouldn't expect flat-based bullets to have a good trajectory past 300 yards. You may have a magnum cartridge to push up their speed but I think you need to have some boat-tail bullets to shoot out as far as you want and be satisfied with your results.

I would suggest shooting/zeroing at 200 yards with the two rounds you have and some other to see what your gun likes. Do at least 3-shot groups and give time for your barrel to cool. I can only do 2 shots then have to wait 5+ minutes for my 270 to cool down so its not warm to the touch. If you want to hit that ram at 500, you will need to pick a bullet that groups 2 inches or less at 200 (1 MOA). You have a 1:10 twist which means it will do well with the heavier bullets with the high BCs that have the flat trajectories that will go the distances you want. To really maximize your gun's accuracy potential, you may want to start reloading.

Better luck next time and I look forward to seeing the posted pictures of your groups.
stovepipe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mossy 4x4 .300 WM first run... Reply with quote

Copy that, thanks Jim. Kinda what I was doing with the 200y and letting her cool thing. Good advice on the long range BT bullet too, thanks! I can put paper out to 200y at my range too so....but the walk is a pain! hahaha. When the gongs are fresh sprayed I can see my marks clearly and that's what suckered me in. I could stack 'em @ 200y if I held well but the cannon is a boomer so it eats ya up...I shouldda gotta .308! hahahaha.
slimjim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mossy 4x4 .300 WM first run... Reply with quote

stovepipe wrote:
the cannon is a boomer so it eats ya up...I shouldda gotta .308! hahahaha.

Easy on the joking around! I've been thinking of getting a 300 Win Mag which is why I'm interested in your experience.
stovepipe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Mossy 4x4 .300 WM first run... Reply with quote

I was suprised at the lack of recoil.
From what some said I expected the bipod legs to fold up and come home with a nice shiner. Really wasn't bad at all, not sore, no bruises.
Total rifle weight is now 9lb, 5oz, empty.
The pressure wave is pretty intense, though. The brake does it's job but at a price. I would not want this thing parked next to me blasting away, that's why I went way down to the end.
I'll bet it's a great shooter if both ends are supported by bags, the propper way, gonna try that with the bipod on for extra weight.
stovepipe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Mossy 4x4 .300 WM first run... Reply with quote

Here's my hide:

it_rifleline.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.28 KB
 Viewed:  8519 Time(s)

it_rifleline.jpg

stovepipe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Mossy 4x4 .300 WM first run... Reply with quote

Here's the ranges, 100y to first berm, 400y at the tree, out to 700y left/rear, target stands are 4x4 w/ PVC frames:

it_riflerange.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.63 KB
 Viewed:  8518 Time(s)

it_riflerange.jpg

slimjim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mossy 4x4 .300 WM first run... Reply with quote

How many shooters use this range?!? It looks like the shooting line is 100 yards long!

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
stovepipe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mossy 4x4 .300 WM first run... Reply with quote

There's gotta be 30-40 benches there. That's just the high-power line. I only go during the week due to crowds and mall-ninja's and stuff. The old school, serious rifle shooters come out during the week and they are classic old school sporters, hunters and comptetive shooters. They let me on with Boomer (pistol) cuz the bbl is over 10".

I go here as often as work permits... one of our members shoots here too I'm pretty sure!

www.angelesranges.com/...index.html
Aloysius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mossy 4x4 .300 WM first run... Reply with quote

Now I'm jealous! May I ask what a member has to pay yearly?
I'll give you an example here: nearby we have a shootingclub with 5 (or is it 6?) lines of maximum 25 m, price: 120 euro/year. We also have a big militairy range, much cheaper, lot of members, much longer (3-400 m and once a year 1 match on 7-800 m), almost no shelter, always wind and lots of sand AND last year we got such caliberrestriction that all fun is gone. So no .300 WM anymore, even the .308 Win only with very restricted amno. (but we are still allowed to hunt rabbits with a .300 WM or a .375 H&H, even a .338 LM or a .50 BMG is OK in the hunting field, but not on the shooting range Smile )
I think our most expensive shooting clubs would cost around 300-350 euro/year/member (so if the rest of the family would like to join...) and no, it's NOT drinks and meals included, not even targets!
So guard your civil rights because it starts with a list and next are licenses and obliged membership and visits at shooting clubs... and always fighting fire-arms-eating politicians and public servants...

Sorry. But it's a mighty fine range you've there and it seems that the first contacts with my favourite caliber went all OK... is it healphy to drive a Ferrari and leave the handbrake on? Smile

I forgot to mention that on the 120 euro range you also get high lead contents in your blood for free... because it's indoor and the suction sucks!
stovepipe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mossy 4x4 .300 WM first run... Reply with quote

50$ to join, 30$ annual.

Oh brother does it get WINDY up here as I've shot in 3/4 and full value 25-45 mph winds- Paper? yeh right, grab yer goggles and try and hit the steels, better have see-through flip-up's if ya got glass too or the objective will be TOAST....

It also darn near burns to the ground every year.

This place has been here a loooong time. Many little private ranges on the property too. And the reloading store is like Willy Wonka's for shooters man!!! Wish the RL store was open Monday's though. Grrr....
Aloysius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mossy 4x4 .300 WM first run... Reply with quote

Slimjim, just to poke you a little on your boattail: did they have a BT 100 year ago for the 45/70? And do you know at what distances that caliber was used? When I remember it correct the flight of the bullet took 13 (or was it 15?) seconds before it reached the target...

What does a BT do once the bullet left the barrel and as long as it travels supersonic (so in front of the shockwave)?
chambered221

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mossy 4x4 .300 WM first run... Reply with quote

Sweet !!! Your going about it the right way !!!
Get some trigger time in and get familiar with it. It doesn't matter that you missed some, what matters is your getting the concept and an idea of what it takes. Have fun with it then when you start getting somewhat comfortable with things start getting serious then.

Nice range !!! Mad I'm jealous !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
slimjim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mossy 4x4 .300 WM first run... Reply with quote

stovepipe wrote:
50$ to join, 30$ annual.

Did you forget a 0!?! Nothing is that inexpensive in CA anymore!
slimjim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mossy 4x4 .300 WM first run... Reply with quote

Aloysius wrote:
Slimjim, just to poke you a little ...

All poking accepted and deserved. The 45-70 can go a long way, 1000+ yards, but you got to lob it in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 2