Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

How-m-I-doin? (target photos)
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How-m-I-doin? (target photos) Reply with quote

Hey! I didn't paint those walls. The house came with that ugly green in one of the bedrooms, now an office. Wife hasn't gotten around to painting it yet.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How-m-I-doin? (target photos) Reply with quote

Yer excused...

But add "Paint over the Fugly green walls in the office" to the Honeydoo list......

fnuser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How-m-I-doin? (target photos) Reply with quote

Hey Suze, I'm not hurt I just don't get on here as often as some. You can probably tell by my outfit I'm not that serious, I was just warning you about the sear engagement that is critical to safe operation I've seen several different old timey methods of modification including shimming under the sear (not reccomended) to welding up between the double humps in the military triggers and shaping them to a single sharp peak to approximate what several of the commercial manufacturers performed including F.N. It sounds like you are ok if you can't strike it with a rubber mallet and fire it. As to my endowment that is meant to encourage others to become involved as they feel led. I've also had the privelige of sharing pancakes and coffee in person with Bushy and I've never thought he was objectionable in any manner. I didn't read all the posts in the 7 pages of attention you have attracted did anyone mention Bold triggers? I've installed several and they are as straight forward as it gets with simple to follow instructions. but they are usually set from the factory. I haven't purchased one lately but they were the "budget trigger" I suggested to customers not wanting a "Jewell". I appreciate your flirtations but I'm taken.

fnuser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How-m-I-doin? (target photos) Reply with quote

Is that 30-06 load yours? or factory? I've always had the best luck with 165 Hornady's old Spire type. But I don't think you should change anything if thats yours at 100. for the old 8x57 I like the speer 150 with BLc2 powder. What has taken me the longest to learn in reloading is to find a charge weight I can live with and vary my seating depths til my groups fall in tight. When you do this not only are you varying the jump to the lands but you're also slightly varying the pressures as smokeless is sensitive to volumetric changes.

Suzanne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How-m-I-doin? (target photos) Reply with quote

Fnuser!!! Yes! Now we're talkin shop. I did try to see if the action would fire if I banged it on the floor a few times (didn't fire) and I also dry fired it lots of times to see if it would hold up (it does) then I went out and shot it. Seems to be a nice modification. I did look at other triggers you can buy with all that fully adjustable stuff, but I didn't want to modify it that much because it's a C&R that I really love. And actually I'm not sure they address the grainy creap feel of the sear. Maybe they do. This was cheap and easy. Anyway I put a scope on it, but without drilling and tapping and I can easily replace the rear sight.
Yeah the 30-06 load is Win748 44gr. (the only powder I could get at the time) and I used 150gr sp Hornady bullets. I played with the overall length a bit and came up with 3.215 which turns out fine. You mention BL-C(2) powder, I used that in my 30-30, haven't used it in the 8mm. The stores here have always stocked what is popular and I found a new sporting goods store here that stocks whatever they can get. You can't necessarily find what you just ran out of, but at least you can get a substitute. Name of the game right now I guess. I want to try the lever revolution bullets Hornady has for the 30-30 too. I hunt pretty close-in anyway, but the ballistics on that bullet show quite a difference from the blunt nosed 30-30 bullets. Thanks for helping me out!

Suz

P.S. yeah we're goin for a billion pages.........it's fun tho! New friends, what the heck!

stovepipe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How-m-I-doin? (target photos) Reply with quote

wiersy111 wrote:
Well I just got done cutting up a nice slab of New York Strip.... now thats a hell of a good idea steak and ice cold beer.

Great.

Now I'm starving again. Thanks. Mad

Hey Grandpa! GETTA HAIRCUT! Laughing

(yeh, I'm jealous....aint had hair like that since '74 Embarassed )
fnuser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How-m-I-doin? (target photos) Reply with quote

I hear ya, If look way down on the list in Gun and Firearm Discussion I got a thread titled New Project or something like that. I'm building a .280 Ackley on a 29" 1-8 twist Hart stainless with a Wthby Vanguard Action (Howa) I got it shooting but am having a heck of a time compiling loads for it as I want to shoot the 180 Berger's I'm corresponding witha guy that't doing roughly the same project and was able to chrony some rl25 loads for him but so far his preferred powder is is rl22 I saw 2 or three jugs of it sitting around for a week but I was pretty sure I had some at home and didn't want to contribute to the rush on components in case somebody really needed that stuff. When I set down at the bench I had less then 1/2 a cup in there. So I came up with a rl25 load to try and kept going. Now I go back and the rl22 pile is dried up. Thats the way it goes, but yeah some of those quicker powders like blc2 and even h335 and (i like finding ball powder loads cause they're easier, It usually takes a little more research but it pays off in production time.)h380 work great in the old 8x57, umm where was I. oh yeah no the grit goes away it all gets replaced by new honest to goodness modern production drop-in stuff. But I respect your wishes as to keeping it original I have some like that too. But if you ever get it scoped you might as well complete the deed and do that trigger. The sin is comitted either way you might as well get some satisfaction.

Suzanne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: How-m-I-doin? (target photos) Reply with quote

Wow!! I just looked at your thread that is so cool to be able to come up with an idea for a gun and just go for it. Does it have the new Weatherby trigger group on it? I've tried their 7mm and loved every second of it. The trigger was adjustable too, really nice. Building is too involved for me, and I suppose you have a lathe. When I was in the Navy I met a guy that built radio controlled helicopters from scratch on his lathe. They were amazing to look at and it just makes you wonder if he had time for anything else (like eating and life) because they were so complicated. My guess is you can do anything with a metal lathe. I just got my second wood lathe, actually on my birthday, and after 20 yrs using one I'm still learning. Like you said with the powder I found some Varget and have been looking for it since December, they had 5 jugs of it and I bought one, shoulda bought 2! Things could be turning around though.

Suz

fnuser

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How-m-I-doin? (target photos) Reply with quote

No, I'm using the Timney aftermarket, its a 3 position as opposed to the 2 that comes factory also You can adjust out the creep, My lathe is an old Atlas 10"x52" with optional gear box and taper attatchment it also has power crossfeed which makes facing a breeze. I tried adjusting the trigger and it always had some detectable creep. If you like wood I just did a piece in English Walnut its on my picture album if you want to see it that one is the 8-280 Ackley or .320 Howell whichever you prefer thats mentioned in the beginning of that thread done in the classic style. I've got a Blank coming in myrtle fom Wenigs that I'm going to do in a kids caliber next like .243, .250, .257, .260 or something like that and I've got another English blank that actually nicer then the other that I'm saving back for a .256 Newton. I was in Oregon last summer, Corvallis actually and saw some nice myrtle used on a bartop in a breakfast joint that had a bunch of vegetarian stuff and good coffee too. I think thats the part of the world that has alot of Myrtle, I had sweet potato pancakes that had some onion in them very interesting. I like Myrtle because it's lighter than wal nut but has most of the other positive characteristics too. The color is neat also, kinda old honey or amber. I found some Reloader 22 and they said they'd hold it for me till tomarrow afternoon. It's good to have friends.

fnuser

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How-m-I-doin? (target photos) Reply with quote

That English piece is in Fiearms too that may be easier for you to find there are 2 views of it my fav is the one that shows the ebony grip cap I made.

Suzanne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How-m-I-doin? (target photos) Reply with quote

Oh very nice Fnuser!! I bet you gave them some atta-boys for that walnut too. It's beautiful! I got onto the Wenig site to look them over, (never heard of them before) was interested in the myrtle wood but didn't see any, only walnut and laminate. You must have special ordered it? You seem to be quite the craftsman!! I had a friend that was a timber cruiser on the coast (Coos Bay) who set aside some myrtle wood for me and shortly after he gave me the wood he died. The wood sat around my shop for quite a while, I wanted to honor him somehow by making his wife something out of it but it was hard to think of what would be appropriate. I came up with a rocking chair. His name was Tip, I always called him Tipster. His wife didn't want the chair, didn't want to be reminded, she had lost another husband to a hunting accident and just wanted it all behind her. I have the chair and so it's a remnant of the Tipster to me. I love myrtle wood and have made lots of stuff out of it. It's not particularly hard, but if they can make gunstocks out of beech then they can use myrtle, it's harder than beech. Another wood you can only get in Oregon is Port Orford cedar, a really nice smelling wood. They used to use it in wooden boats for it's resistance to rot and water. It's a bit rare to find now, but if you search the older boat marinas you can still find some stashed away for some old fishing boat repairs. I tried to get an Indian crafter to make a flute for me out of the cedar and she wouldn't do it, it makes her sneeze to use it. I love the smell. Myrtle is used a lot in the tourist trade here, like redwood in California, all the touristy stops on the coast hiway have myrtle wood crafty stuff and you start to hate the looks of it, till you make something out of it, then you fall in love with it. I have some spalted myrtle that I'm trying to figure out something to do with but it's so spongy I doubt I can do any bowl turning...that would be cool tho. Don't you love Oregon? It sure beats the harsh Arizona summers I came from. No shortage of water!

Suz

fnuser

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How-m-I-doin? (target photos) Reply with quote

I live about an hour away from Wenig's and stop in from time to time they have alot of stuff that's not advertised, there are over 100 semi inlets in stock at any given time just laying around. And if you have something in mind they'll bring out the board and show you and you say yep that's the one. 2-3weeks later the semi shows up on your doorstep via fedex. I've seen spalted maple, but not myrtle. It's too bad you can't soak it in something that would set up clear and hard in the grain. Kinda like freezing it so it could be cut. I used oil on that english rubbed in by hand using 600 grit so it made a slurry with the dust and filled the grain. I like using that and have made alot of friends happy that way its really not that hard, the dust mixes with the oil and sets up faster and harder then the oil alone. When you get the grain filled you can go back with oil alone wiped on very thin so that you are almost squeaking it on. Even when you hold it in the glare it's nice and smooth. I've lost acouple of old buddies that were probably old enough to be my father or grandpa and I always tried to buy something at their sales. Ya know, the widow gets all this stuff by default and doesn't know what to do so eventually after the kids pick through it she'll have a sale or something. Wayne Wilson was a local rifle looney and when I was a kid fresh outta the army I ended up with a .270 that I couldn't find any bases for to mount a scope and it had two safetys on it a trigger safety and a bolt safety. the trigger safety didn't work so someone suggested I take it to Wayne. I took it in there and he said "Where did you get that?!" I had picked it up in a trade and told him so. Wayne says " Thats a Mannlicher Schoenauer" and fixes the trigger safety hands it back to me and makes a phone call. We had a Westley Richards dealer in Springfield back then and he told me to ask so and so he'll sell me a set of bases. That was the beginning of a friendship that lasted the rest of Wayne's life when he died his collection was sold to Westley Richards and I bought one of his Mannlicher-Shoenauers in 30-06. That story still gets me I'm glad Wayne's widow got some money for that stuff and I didn't have to deal with her directly. Wayne never did charge me for that safety.

Suzanne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How-m-I-doin? (target photos) Reply with quote

I love stories like that, thank you for sharing that. You've inspired me to get that myrtle out and make a bowl. I looked it over this evening and it seems it's not all punky and I think I can turn a large bowl. I'll post a photo maybe tomarrow and you can see it. Really would make a nice blank but when it's spalted you have to be really careful or it'll break apart as you're turning it. The colors on it would be really nice as a sort of natural camo if you could get the spalting in the right spots for the rifle. Yeah you got a nice gun in that Mannlicher-Shoenauer, I've read about the smoooothness of the bolt and the sweet double set trigger, I guess you could find one as a C&R.....I'll have to look up the values first....not enough money to keep me in undies right now, but that sounds like you got yourself a nice find.

Suz

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: How-m-I-doin? (target photos) Reply with quote

Eugene/Springfield and Coos Bay. Hummmm...

Suzanne...Recognize this?

dscf0162 (small).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.12 KB
 Viewed:  7574 Time(s)

dscf0162 (small).jpg

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Suzanne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: How-m-I-doin? (target photos) Reply with quote

This is a trick question...Diamond Peak with the Three Sisters in the background?? Wanna go on a horse pack? Beeeeutiful shot! I've never seen that angle before, nicely done. I got to go horsepacking into the Sisters Wilderness area, my boss invited me along and he even had a very rude Keiger mustang for me ride. The trip started out with some truck problems, got part way up the McKenzie and had to turn around to get the truck taken care of. It was hot and we didn't want the horses to get too bound up in the trailor while the truck was being repaired (don't remember the problem) so we took turns walking them around in the parking lot, which got some attention of course. Got the truck done right and headed up the McKenzie again. We got to the staging area for horses and packed a small pack horse and headed out into the wilderness. Well it was so late in the day that my boss decided we should trot for 3 #$@ing hours. My horse being a good lil Indian was short legged and his was huge and in the lead. Half running and half trotting took it's toll on me and the horse. My black haired beauty decided to duck it's head about every half hour or so, trying to launch me off. I hung on for dear life the whole way bouncing along and dodging a launch now and then and my legs were getting like rubber. When we finally got where we were going, there was a little lean-to with a wooden deck and a place to string the horses. So wonderfully beautiful and a nice very wet pasture for the horses to munch, a little stream to put the beer in, little ponds to refresh in, mmmmm
it was pretty. Ok that was the fun part. We spent the next few hours setting up dinner and a tent. Finally went to sleep and at about 2am my boss wakes up and gets me wide-eyed by saying the horses (that were strung up nearby) had taken off. Thankfully we found them and hobbled them and strung them up again. Next day we went on a short day-trip, my thighs and butt totally willing (not) to do that, I was more willing to recuperate. Spent another night and the next morning we headed back home. Well the fun wasn't over yet, the brakes on the truck failed. Soon after we got off the dirt road and back on pavement (down hill all the way) the brakes went out and we had to very carefully pick and choose our way down the McKenzie Hwy. Got into town and honked our way through intersections hauling 3 horses and sweating like crazy. Totally fun.......Wouldn't mind going with someone that knows what the heck they're doing! Was he trying to get rid of me or what? Something I just thought of....he read his bible before gong to bed each night. Maybe he's a bit prone to trouble and needs some assistance to get through each day, I dunno. He is a very nice person and has since retired. Bushy I don't know what Missouri is like, but do you miss Oregon?

Suz

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 7 of 8