Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824072
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Terrorists to use Yote traps to kill people
By Popular Demand: Discussions related to Varmint Hunting
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrorists to use Yote traps to kill people Reply with quote

hunterjoe21 wrote:
How is a snake 25% non-venemous?

Just being a little facetious guys. Of the probably hundreds of species of snakes we have here in Australia only a couple aren't venomous.

I didn't realise that yotes were so dangerous. They appear to be similar in size to our dingo, only with less body bulk. Takin' babies from houses...damn, that's not good. I strongly suggest either a dose of 1080 poison or a good solid lead injection delivered at about 3000 fps.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Morax

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Terrorists to use Yote traps to kill people Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
hunterjoe21 wrote:
How is a snake 25% non-venemous?

Just being a little facetious guys. Of the probably hundreds of species of snakes we have here in Australia only a couple aren't venomous.

I didn't realise that yotes were so dangerous. They appear to be similar in size to our dingo, only with less body bulk. Takin' babies from houses...damn, that's not good. I strongly suggest either a dose of 1080 poison or a good solid lead injection delivered at about 3000 fps.

Cheers, Vince

told ya before i dont mind the snakes its those dang spiders you got there i dont like! yeah vince take a dingo, put him on a diet, then give him an additude, basic coyote.. good for nuttin but catching lead, oh and keeping ACME in business

img24619_wiley.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  190.29 KB
 Viewed:  14083 Time(s)

img24619_wiley.jpg

OntheLasGallinas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrorists to use Yote traps to kill people Reply with quote

Vince,
My issue with poisonous snakes is that I've been bit by a copperhead (about 4 months ago), and, that was on the porch.

Morax

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrorists to use Yote traps to kill people Reply with quote

OntheLasGallinas wrote:
Vince,
My issue with poisonous snakes is that I've been bit by a copperhead (about 4 months ago), and, that was on the porch.

ummm OUCH!!

my wifes sister when they were younger brought in a handfull of "worms" to feed the fish in thier fishtank. yup you guessed it baby cottons! donno how she didnt get bit..
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Terrorists to use Yote traps to kill people Reply with quote

OntheLasGallinas wrote:
Vince,

Surprised Didja bite the bugger back mate? I would have....with the flat of a long handled shovel delivered from about 2 metres up.

Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Laughing

I am assuming that the copperhaed is venomous....I know the snake we call copperhead out here most certainly is.

Cheers, Vince

OntheLasGallinas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Terrorists to use Yote traps to kill people Reply with quote

I stepped off of the porch without shoes and the sucker bit me below my ankle on my right foot. It was dark and I couldn't see what bit me, but the sensation is unmistakable. You know you're bit by a snake. And, yes, they are poisonous. I saw the grass moving where he was and I held him down with a garden hoe and hollered to my wife to bring a flash light so I could see what species it was and when I saw it was a copperhead, all I could say was aw shit. I told my wife to run back in the house and bring me a zip lock bag while I smashed the suckers head in. My wife was panicking. I just got mad. Heck, in my country, I've been raised around snakes my whole life and I know better than walking outside without boots. I've been bit on the boot about 10 times in my life by rattlesnakes. Anyway, I live about 15 miles from a rural hospital, and I thought I was going to die on the trip. Not from the snake bite, but by my wife's driving. She was driving about 80 mph on our dirt road. When I got to the hospital, about 30 minutes after I was bitten, the bite wound was on fire. That sucker felt like a blow torch was held to my foot. I walked in and threw the snake (inside the plastic bag) on the receptionist’s desk and she abandoned ship. She took off screaming and wouldn't come back until I removed the snake. I didn't want some intern asking me if I was sure that the snake was poisonous, so bringing him along was my only answer to that. My leg wasn't even swelling at this point. The doctor looked at it and told me that it didn't look like he gave me much venom. I told him that I thought he was wrong, the way it felt. He left me on a gurney to make his hospital rounds and by the time he got back my leg was double in size all the way to the knee. He then panicked and told me that he should have started me on anti-venom. I thought Duh! He gave me 3 vials of anti-venom along with a tetanus shot, antibiotics, and benidrill. I felt pretty good by the next morning, so I got up and walked out of the hospital, despite my doctor’s objections. I went to work the next day and by 10 am, the anti-venom started wearing off. I left work and drove myself back to the hospital. I had to admit that the doctor was right. I wasn't ready to be released from the hospital. He gave me another vile of anti-venom and kept me for another day. I was shocked when I got the bill. It was 1$13,000 dollars. I'm glad that I have insurance. It took about 3 months for the swelling to go completely down. It still feels a little lumpy in the area, and the fang marks are still visible.

Cary

Last edited by OntheLasGallinas on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Terrorists to use Yote traps to kill people Reply with quote

From the sounds of things mate you are damned lucky.

As a general rule I don't worry about snakes...other than the Tiapan and the Tiger snake. Both are extremely venomous (Tiapan venom is the worst in the world oz for oz) and very aggressive.

$13 000......that would have been enough to put me in the hospital for at least another month...probably Intensive Care with a heart attack !

At least you can laugh about it now mate....could have been worse, a lot worse.

Cheers, Vince

OntheLasGallinas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrorists to use Yote traps to kill people Reply with quote

I've always been lucky. I always tell my wife that everything that goes bump in the night better watch out (including snakes). I consider myself the ultimate preditor! Ha Ha!

Don't get me wrong, I don't consider myself a cold blooded killer, like some hunters I know. I love to watch and be around wildlife, and make selective kills for food only. I quit horn hunting years ago. Once you've killed several large bucks, the thrill isn't there anymore. Last year I was watching several large turkey toms crossing the field behind the house. I picked up my 270, that I keep by the back door, and scoped them out. Two had beards dragging the ground and one had multiple beards (it looked like about 4). The one I picked was a young jake with a beard about 3 inches long. I figured that he wouldn't be so tough. This is the first turkey that I've taken from this ranch since I bought it in 1980. I'm just not a bird hunter. I do like a wild hog though.

Cary

Crackshot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Terrorists to use Yote traps to kill people Reply with quote

I never started "horn hunting" My family had always hunted for food and that ideal always stayed with me. "food first" IF there are horns great! A friend can make me a knife with horn handle. Very Happy
On the subject of Coyote, We live in south central Michigan, 10 minutes from Ohio. And we have them killing cats and raiding chicken pens here with frequency. I just started hunting them and have in 2 years shot 50 and not made a dent in the population.
On the subject of coyote traps being used to kill people!!!??? Just how dumb do they thing most folks are? wtf

Glenn1022

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrorists to use Yote traps to kill people Reply with quote

Glad you got over the snake bite. That’s bad luck. I was hit by a rattle snake and he got one fang in on the top of my right ankle bone when I was 10. Got little to no venom in me but it looked horrible for several weeks. Dad told me to shake it off and go play or fish or something to that nature. He thought I was pulling his leg. I felt fine but several hours later it was looking kind of ugly and hurt. When mom came home from work I showed it to her and she turned white as a sheet. I barely remember the hospital trip, I tried to find a corner in the back of the bronco to hide as my mom gave my dad a nasty chewing. Turned out I was going to be fine. Doc said that if I was not showing any worse symptoms, then I was able to go home with a shot of antibiotics in the rear. Left a ugly scar and depression above my ankle. Ahhh...the memory’s of childhood.

Coyotes are starting to become a problem here. Mostly around farms. People see them hunting a lot and a few are road kill. I have seen several but could never get a shot at one. Not for lack of trying though. Areas I hunt are thick with brush. Those bunny huggers are couch potatoes that have never seen the real world and know only from what the liberal news media tells them. From that they think they are experts in everything and can tell the rest of us what to do. They don’t have a life….those sorry @#$^%&!*#! Ok, cant get myself worked up before bed but thing like this tend to get under my skin.

I would love to get a nice honker of a buck…I am a meat hunter but I really would like to have a nice monster rack to mount between those turkey feathers. All I have ever managed to get was shrub bucks. One was 11 points….looked like small basket. Largest rack I have procured was a 4 pointer with a 19 3/8 inch spread. Was a nice buck but old and very tough. I would have liked to have seen him in his younger years. I would be great to get a nice 8 pointer or so with nice wide spread. I drool over those TV hunts with all those nice bucks in the 170’s. But I suppose the regular man cant hunt farm bucks without paying a arm and a leg. I will just keep on hunting in hopes that one day I will find myself staring down the sites of a monster buck. Just the thought of seeing one gets me up worked up and ready to go hunting.

Time to hit the sack. Have a long day tomorrow. Hitting the mountains this weekend to pick huckleberries. Pine Mountain VA is a beautiful place. Wild pony’s, camping, hiking and berry picking. Heart of the Appellations. Have not been camping in years and looking forward it.
sniper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrorists to use Yote traps to kill people Reply with quote

OntheLasGallinas wrote:
That's absolutely nuts! I suppose they'll want tax payers to then pay for a coyote welfare program...
Cary

Cary: Haven't you heard about the "Noble Mustang Adoption Program" run by the feds to enable people to adopt and provide good homes for those wild, mean, chicken-brained horses? Mad

We have people here who "love" horses, but have animals that they can't afford to feed, let alone provide even basic medical care. They love 'em so much they let them starve to death, or die of disease or parasites. Mad

Yeah, they round up the mustangs each year, bring them to a central location, give them innoculations, etc...etc...etc, then let them loose. Arrrrgh!
Maybe a spay/neuter plan would be a good idea, but probably 165gr. at about 2600 fps would cost less, and be more effective...not to mention fun! Cool
lesterg3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrorists to use Yote traps to kill people Reply with quote

Back to the yote theme for a moment. Laughing

Having been fortunate enough to pick up about 25 acres, which is even more fortunately surrounded by several 1000’s of acres of open ranch land, tree farms, wild forest, and wild open fields, I am amazed at the abundance of wild life that exists were I hunt now.

And yep, there are a bunch of yotes, only seen one while driving into the place to hunt HOG (I love them too, taste great, wish there were some wild goats though), but tracks are everywhere.

Besides hunting at night, which I cannot do, what are some ideas for attracting these critters within shooting range? Oh, and since I really have a problem killing something that I can’t eat, or get some particle use out of (or do some of you wildmen eat them too?) how hard is it to tan the hides?

I have seen the electronic calls and some of the other lures on the market, but alas I am temporally out of funds and Mizz Dee would kill me. Mad

So ideas of less expensive ways to get these yappers close enough to harvest for hides?

Thanks guys Laughing

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."--James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrorists to use Yote traps to kill people Reply with quote

Les,

Take a look at Varmint Al's El Cheapo caller from this page.

www.varmintal.com/ahun...#El-Cheapo

The last time I priced out the parts it was less than $50.00 (I didn't price out the exact parts he used, but substituted what I could find locally).

English Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrorists to use Yote traps to kill people Reply with quote

sniper wrote:
.....165gr. at about 2600 fps would cost less, and be more effective...not to mention fun! Cool

Horse is good eating too - it's only cultural taboos that keep it off the menu.
hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrorists to use Yote traps to kill people Reply with quote

Dunno if I could eat one (taboo), but I would have no problem shootin' one....

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting
Page 2 of 3