Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Obama letter
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kickstand
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Obama letter Reply with quote

Hello everyone, hows this for a first post

armedandfree.wordpress...but-quick/

Dear Kurt:
Thank you for contacting me regarding gun policy. I appreciate hearing your perspective on this important issue.
I respect the Second Amendment and responsible gun ownership. But I am also concerned about the human consequences of guns falling into the wrong hands and being misused. I do not find objectionable the goal of keeping firearms out of the hands of children, terrorists, gang members and criminals in general. The question for me is how to best accomplish that goal without abridging the rights of hunters, sportsmen, and other legitimate gun owners. As I consider gun legislation, I will work to find the appropriate balance between these two objectives.
For example, Senator David Vitter (R-LA), in response to complaints about the confiscation of firearms during the recovery from Hurricane Katrina, offered an amendment that would prohibit such confiscations in areas hit by natural disaster. I voted with Senator Vitter on this amendment. On the other hand, I support the re-imposition of the ban on the sale of assault weapons that expired in September 2004 because I believe these guns are used primarily for criminal rather than sporting intent. I also support requiring gun manufacturers to install child safety locks on all of their products.
Again, I have always believed that the Second Amendment protects the right of individuals to bear arms, but I also identify with the need for crime-ravaged communities to save their children from the violence that plagues our streets through common-sense, effective safety measures. I do not believe that these two principles – the individual right and the rights of a community to maintain public safety – are contradictory.
On June 26, 2008, the Supreme Court endorsed that same view. Although it ruled that the D.C. gun ban went too far, Justice Scalia himself acknowledged that this right is not absolute and subject to reasonable regulations enacted by local communities to keep their streets safe.
Anyone who lives in a large urban center like Chicago is aware of the terrible toll gun violence is taking on American society. As a statewide elected official who has traveled our state extensively, I appreciate how strongly sportsmen, hunters and collectors feel about their rights to own firearms. But I am convinced we can more aggressively attack the problem of gun violence without interfering with the rights of responsible gun owners.
Again, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to keeping in touch.
Sincerely,
Barack Obama
United States Senator
ElyBoy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Obama letter Reply with quote

Welcome Kickstand.

First---I hope that you aren't an Obama operative sent here to fill us mushrooms full of bull.

Second---Obama's "letter" sounds much like a Priest that was at my Parish when I was the Parish Trustee.

I heard this same stuff from him at Parish Council meetings, and in private.

I moved to my current Parish where both of our Priests hunt, and our head Priest was raised on a farm.

Eric

NRA Life Member
froeal_1132
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Obama letter Reply with quote

Obama will say whatever he can to get you to vote for him. Quite frankly I don't trust him at all, and never will.

How can he say these things and be supported and paid by some of the most left wing anti-gun supporting groups in the country? PETA, Moveon.org. All of these groups want us to live in a socialized society where the government controls everything we do, and if we object they will take their big money supporters and file lawsuits.

You can see this lawsuit crap first hand by Obama's group threatening to sue the media stations that are running the NRA adds about him.

The guy is crooked in every way possible!!!

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Obama letter Reply with quote

Welcome to the HuntingNut

I don't buy it for a second
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Obama letter Reply with quote

The simple fact that he thinks that the Second Amendment has something to do with "hunters, sportsmen, and other legitimate gun owners" shows that he doesnt' understand it or doesn't care what it really says.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
TRBLSHTR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Obama letter Reply with quote

Mad I personally find his knowledge of so called "assault weapons" to be less than adequate.He states things about terrorists and gangs-bla,bla,BS!He is either quite misinformed,or just "wagging the dog"when the numbers of civilian owned "assault weapons in the US has to be in the MILLIONS,because after the sunset of AWB#1 it has to be the fastest selling market in the firearms industry,or maybe a second only to handguns!And since the sunset of AWB#1-the streets have not run"red with blood"of Americans due to the (evil "assault weapons")ownership of [semiauto sporting firearms].More Brady bunch BS! Mad Censored Rant

PaulS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Obama letter Reply with quote

Since there are already laws in place to keep the guns out of the hands of children, gang members, terrorists and criminals in general, we don't need more laws. As for the ban on military style weapons, where would we be without military surplus weapons? The springfield sales after WW II provided the citizens of the United States with inexpensive, good quality, rifles for hunting and target shooting.
I am unsure what Obama means by "legitimate gun owners". By the fact that we are citizens of the United States, we are legitimate gun owners unless we have committed a felony, been adjudicated mentally defective, or addicted to alcohol or other drug. I believe that there are hundreds of "assault" weapons in the hands of citizens for each one in the possession of criminals. He doesn't understand that:
1. We can't rely on the police to protect us from those who would do harm.
2. We have a right to use equal power to protect ourselves.
3. You cannot legislate to criminals - they don't obey the laws
4. Crime cannot be prevented through the restriction of the rights of the law abiding community.
5. The laws are in place to prosecute those who break them - not those who MIGHT break them.

I was born a free man and I will die a free man.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
OntheLasGallinas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Obama letter Reply with quote

PaulS, Well said!

PS, The libs will never understand the second amendment, or most other rights guaranteed by our Bill of Rights and Constitution.

Cary

Handloader

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Obama letter Reply with quote

Obama's success is based on his appeal to and cultivation of perceptions at which his has been masterful. Substance is often lacking, details are scarce, but, he has a way of instilling and tapping into a pool of hope that promises a trade off of personal liberty for security.

McCain's depth of experience and knowledge is a contrast and gives those that appreciate rational thought a viable choice. But, McCain (as of today) is behind in probable electoral votes and even some of the undecided states have been moving toward the entitlement messages of Obama.

We watch October's approach and expect the "October surprise" that will sway the election one way or another. It adds some stress to those that are constitutionalists, along with a biased media that keeps beating Obama's drum. The diversion of emphasis from national security to that of the economy works for Obama the worse the situation becomes.

Hang on, its gonna be a bumpy ride.
dust54

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Obama letter Reply with quote

Welcome to the site Kickstand, sit down, grab a beer, and enjoy the conversation.

PaulS says it best, I can not improve on that. Obama is a lawyer, enough said on that. Remember Politburo, er I mean politicians, will say and do what gets them the most votes or gets them what they want (example: President Clinton waived the gun ban for China to import 365,000 assualt rifles to the US).

The anti gunners do not see firearms the same way most people do, they would discribe all firearms as assualt if they thought they could get away with that type of discription.

NRA Certified Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
AGI Member
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Obama letter Reply with quote

Handloader...What you are trying to explain is that obama is preaching a "free ride" and the young and liberals will go for it...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
stovepipe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Obama letter Reply with quote

To quote Biden- 11/2003-

"...banning guns is an idea who's time has finally come..."

Guess who's Obama's running mate is....

If it was up to Biden, Billary, Gore- the only peeps that'd have guns would be the crooks. They have all the 'right's', after all.

When's the last time anyone saw a felon filling out a DROS?

These uber-libs are clueless, and, getting more so everyday.

Sorry for the neggo first post...I'll due an intro shortly.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Obama letter Reply with quote

That's OK...obama/bidden has every real American in an up roar these days.

Welcome to this fine site. grab a beer and pull up a stump and absolutely join in...

stovepipe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Obama letter Reply with quote

Copy on the up roar....

Thanks fer the welcome boss.

Cool
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Obama letter Reply with quote

I escaped Ventura County a little over two years ago...

Boss? Confused Not me...Mr. Dallan is the boss... Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 1