· Comments: 86

removing lead fromm 44mag?
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwilson
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: removing lead fromm 44mag? Reply with quote

I'm have a problem getting lead out of my 44mag barrel.I have used Bore shine,pro choice lead remover solevent,a wire brush,a lead remover cloth and altho it has improved i still have lead.I swabed it with bore shine and let it set then repeated the above steps but still have lead.
Handloader

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: removing lead fromm 44mag? Reply with quote

Visit the supermarket or hardware store and purchase some copper scouring pads. Strip off enough of the pad to lightly wrap a 357 brush enough for a snug fit in the bore. Use any bore solvent you have and begin to brush back and forth with the wrapped brush. This is every bit as effective as the commercial Lewis Lead Remover which uses mesh patches attached to a jig.

That said, the important thing is to keep lead from occuring when you are shooting. Leading means either too much velocity or too little velocity or the wrong hardness of the bullet or the wrong or inappropriate lubricant. If you leading is toward the forcing cone it is indicative of too slow a velocity for the hardness of the bullet, thusly, disallowing base obturation of the bullet, gas cutting and leading. If the leading is toward the muzzle end -- too fast.

Getting the proper lube, pressure, and hardness is the fun part of shooting cast bullets. For bunches of great information, visit Beartooth Bullet's website.

Welcome to the forum, post often and contribute.
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: removing lead fromm 44mag? Reply with quote

Shooter's Choice has a lead removal solvent that has worked for me.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: removing lead fromm 44mag? Reply with quote

Welcome to HuntingNut rwilson. Grab a beer mate, pull up a stump and sit awhile...and as Handloader says... post often and contribute

I am assuming that the firearm you have all leaded up is a revolver? Have a mate who used to swear by mercury (quicksilver). He would plug the barrel and pour the mercury in...let it sit awhile then pour it out. Only thing I am unsure about is whether or not the mercury would harm the bore...although from the way he shot it sure didn't.

As Handloader says...revisit your loads mate...there is something not quite correct there just yet.

Dallan...this topic might be better off in the Reloading or Guns and Firearms Section mate.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)

Last edited by Vince on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grumulkin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: removing lead fromm 44mag? Reply with quote

I have heard that Krano Kroil is good for removing lead.

I don't have any personal experience using it for lead removal though since I pretty much always use jacketed bullets.

As for the use of mercury, I doubt very much it would harm the bore. The problem would be getting some and disposing of it afterwards since it's considered very hazardous these days.

On the hazardous, theme, when I was a kid, I somehow acquired a couple of pint bottles of liquid mercury with which I entertained myself with no bad consequences that I'm aware of. During the last few years where I live, there have been a couple of occasions where a very small amount mercury has spilled in local schools. You wouldn't believe the angst it caused. All the kids remotely near and some not so near were sure they were getting mercury poisoning and would die or at least be lifelong cripples without emergency treatment.
Handloader

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: removing lead fromm 44mag? Reply with quote

Grumulkin: good point on mercury and our changing social perceptions.

When I was a kid my dad would pour out mecury from a container and let us roll it around the palm of our hand. Often we would put a coin in our palm and see the mercury adhere or not adhere to it depending on its metal content. Times change. Still, I have a bottle of the stuff on hand and it can be used for the most stubborn of lead buildups and is very effective with no harm to the firearm, blued or SS. Used carefully, correctly and responsibly, it is an effective and safe process.

The leftists in our country will go to any extreme to force their viewpoints upon the citizenry. With the recent 2nd Ammendment decision by the Supreme Court, the next target of the leftists may well be components or ammo and among the first challenges may be the issue of lead. It is happening, typically, in a very limited way, kinda like testing the waters. If the shooting public swallows the hype and conforms to the requested programs or the instituted limited bans, then it will expand rapidly. The antis are very motivated in their effort to attack firearm ownership regardless of fact or truthfulness.

I have no idea what they will do about the lead and mercury found naturally on our little planet, but, following their perverted logic, it would not surprise me to see them propose destroying the planet in order to save us all. And to think there are those that believe this election doesn't matter, that we are merely choosing the lesser of two evils! Absolutely amazing and further evidence of a hoodwinked populace.
chambered221

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: removing lead fromm 44mag? Reply with quote

I have used penetrants such as WD-40, LPS 1, Tri-Flow, and Kroil.

IMO they work better than any of the so called lead solvents.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Glenn1022

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: removing lead fromm 44mag? Reply with quote

Mix equal parts White vinegar and Hydrogen peroxide. Plug your barrel and pore it in. Guaranteed to remove lead and will not harm your barrel. I have used it for a couple of years and never had any problems. If you do not think it will work, mix some up in a small cup and drop in a lead bullet....it will turn to black goo at bottom of cup. You will see the chemical reaction to the lead as soon as you drop it in. A 357 bullet will almost completely dissolve in 24 hours and leading in barrels is not that thick. I normally let it stand in the barrel for about 30 minutes then wipe clean and give it a coating of oil.
It is safe and easy to use with ready available components.
I read of another method last night that placing a few grains of Cream of wheat behind the bullet will clean out lead. It was recommended that it was not used in max loads.
I was going to give that a try when I have long shooting sessions out in the field and don’t want to mess with the other method. I will post how that woks out for me.
Try the White Vinegar and Hydrogen peroxide…..you will be surprised. Surprised
chambered221

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: removing lead fromm 44mag? Reply with quote

Vinegar and peroxide, Hmmmm, I think I'll try that next time.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
laurent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: removing lead fromm 44mag? Reply with quote

There was a time I was shooting 500 rds/years in my .44 cal Super Blackhawk and I was using a Lewis Lead Remover Kit made by Gun Specialties.Dont know if still available but was working for me.
Handloader

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: removing lead fromm 44mag? Reply with quote

Glenn1022 wrote:
Mix equal parts White vinegar and Hydrogen peroxide. Plug your barrel and pore it in. . . . .
Try the White Vinegar and Hydrogen peroxide…..you will be surprised. Surprised

Wow! That's a great post Glenn1022. I look forward to leading something and trying it.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: removing lead fromm 44mag? Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:

Surprised Shocked Shocked Shocked Hiding

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
gelandangan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: removing lead fromm 44mag? Reply with quote

First of all, I think this topic is on the wrong part of the forum .. but then again like bushy said, I am testy..

Now, to the real issue..

I use electronics to do this..
place a straight wire in the center of the barrel, suspended by rubber plugs so the wire do not touch the barrel, put in some very weak vinegar solution (1 in 100 of your table vinegar) then put a positive point of a 1.5V d size battery on the wire and the negative point to the barrel.. leave for 2 - 3 hours.
the lead just sort of melt from the barrel and flakes off..

I have only done this on a stainless SW686 barrel tho.. works great..

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Grumulkin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: removing lead fromm 44mag? Reply with quote

gelandangan wrote:
I use electronics to do this.

The high tech approach to gun cleaning! Cool
chambered221

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: removing lead fromm 44mag? Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
chambered221 wrote:

Surprised Shocked Shocked Shocked Hiding

Cheers, Vince

That's rigth, I used a four letter word Laughing

Belive it or not it works. Just be sure to clean it out and use a good rust prevent after.

~George Washington
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 2