Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824218
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Problematic Deer
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WileyWapiti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Problematic Deer Reply with quote

So there is a huge debate going on in our town regarding the deer population within the city limits. One lady wrote an article to the local rag suggesting that there be a deer hunt in town, she referenced I believe Sioux Falls that has the city guys out at night with .22's.

Well, as you can imagine, this has not went over well with some of the Birkenstock Lovers, I mean folks in town. Are the deer a problem, yeah, they are everywhere. From the time I get in my truck and drive the 1/2 mile either to or from my car pool lot, I will see on the average 30 deer munching on crab apple trees, wandering the streets, eating bushes etc.

I would like to throw it out there to you guys for your thoughts - here are some items to think about:

Craig, CO, population roughly 8500 people
Somebody shot a buck in town a few days ago (not me, I was out of town, really I was)
DOW is sitting in on town meetings discussing the issue and offering knowledgable support
DOW has no power of authority over controling populations within city
City insurance liability too great - won't cover it
Town suggests planting deer repellant and items they do not like
One guy said he uses a paint ball gun to run them off
Some fools think it is nice to feed them
Literally a couple hundred deer in town

I don't know what else to add other than some towns within the state are issuing limited licenses for such a deal.

I have no desire to hunt them in town, but they are a royal pain in the rear end. My main concern is for the kids, mountain lions have been seen near town where some of the deer hang out. Mountain lions love deer, we have deer and kids, kids are slower and can't jump as high as a deer, mountain lion may learn to love kids because they are slower and can't jump as high - I have kids and I love them, I hate mountain lions, I may learn to love shooting them.

Sound off!

d_hoffman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Problematic Deer Reply with quote

We have almost the same thing here in Ohio where I live. I live in an apartment complex that is on the out-skirts of town. The other day I was about to pull into the complex and over a dozen deer crossed the street and jumped the fence. I'm always seeing deer right outside. I have heard talk about an urban controled archery hunt in certain areas in town. It needs to be done.

Morax

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Problematic Deer Reply with quote

WileyWapiti wrote:
I have no desire to hunt them in town, but they are a royal pain in the rear end. My main concern is for the kids, mountain lions have been seen near town where some of the deer hang out. Mountain lions love deer, we have deer and kids, kids are slower and can't jump as high as a deer, mountain lion may learn to love kids because they are slower and can't jump as high - I have kids and I love them, I hate mountain lions, I may learn to love shooting them.

Sound off!

this was worth rereading! but the trouble i see is if you take the "problematic" deer away the big cats wont have nothing but the kids to fall back on.. hammer some kitties then go for the deer.. better yet hammer the birkinstock gangs and then the deer wont be fed in town to be bringing the kitties in
hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Problematic Deer Reply with quote

Controlled Urban Archery hunts are the way to go.

Several Cleveland suburbs have them currently. Most require that you pass a "proficiency" test before they issue you a permit, and if you want to hunt on City property (parks and such) they assign you a territory. Some municipalities are even purchasing and setting up their own tree stands, then holding a drawing to decide who hunts which stand. At $15 per drawing chance, they are even turning a small profit!

Contrast that with other suburbs that hold a vote every year and the FTH's vote down a controlled hunt, so the city is forced to pay sharpshooters to cull the deer herd. Of course the FTH's protest this too, and want the city to pay for a sterilization program instead.

1895ss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Problematic Deer Reply with quote

There should be sterilization programs alright, but it should be for humans and it should be mandatory for some groups ............ Smile

hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Problematic Deer Reply with quote

1895ss wrote:
There should be sterilization programs alright, but it should be for humans and it should be mandatory for some groups ............ Smile

FTH's?

Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Problematic Deer Reply with quote

hunterjoe21 wrote:
so the city is forced to pay sharpshooters to cull the deer herd..

Where do I sign up ?? I'll even bring my own ammo! Very Happy

Dimitri

1895ss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Problematic Deer Reply with quote

I'll sign up too .....do you think they would mind if I used my 45-70 in the city limits. Ah.... yah .......it's loud but ah .................. very effective at close range!!!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Problematic Deer Reply with quote

It's actually a corporate service, believe it or not. Thry're even incorporated. I cant remember the name at the moment, give me some time, I'll find it.

It's also an incredibaly expensive service. I think they charge the city around $900 each. Don't quote me though. Let me do some searching, I'll post any articles I find.

Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Problematic Deer Reply with quote

900$ ??

Dang, I'd do it for half of that. Razz

Lets see 450$ per deer and one deer per day, thats about 60,000$ a year. Shocked

Dimitri

1895ss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Problematic Deer Reply with quote

Sounds typical though doesn't it, somebody making a ton of money when there are other people that would pay to do the same job and just as good or maybe better at it.

Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Problematic Deer Reply with quote

Yup 1895, seriously though, thats a rediculas amount of money to have someone with a gun do the job.

That kind of money to do that kind of job, well, I'd be buying myself a carbine in 45ACP with a silencer and a NV scope, would get the deer and no one in the neighborhood would even know as they'd be sound asleep. Laughing

Dimitri

1895ss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Problematic Deer Reply with quote

You would have to leave your silencer at the border "Mitri cause they are illegal here ...........just so you know. Very Happy I'm sure you did.

Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Problematic Deer Reply with quote

Yup I know they are illegal here, but thats besides the point, we are talking about Ohio where they are paying 900$ per deer right now where its legal to own NFA firearms (Fully Automatic Firearms, Silcencers, AOWs' etc). Laughing

Dimitri

hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Problematic Deer Reply with quote

The real Hillary is...

They have trophy deer in this suburb. The city is PAYING for a service. Bowhunters would pay a premium to hunt there. The FTH's can't grasp that fact. They could buy all the GREEN TP they want for the school system with the money hunters paid the city....

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 1 of 2