· Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Remington 870 Wingmaster 16
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mossberg Moose
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Remington 870 Wingmaster 16 Reply with quote

After buying and collecting/refinishing a dozen Mossberg bolt action 16 gauges, I bought a Remington 870 Wingmaster 16 gauge pump shotgun 28" barrel in very good condition & nice checkering, full choke 2 3\4" chamber. serial#S672886W. Can anyone tell me a little about what I've got? I'm guessing it is a late 50's gun and I plan to use it for upland game and would like to find a IMP or MOD barrel for it at a reasonable price.
You can actually still see it at: www.gunbroker.com/Auct...m=62271011
It's going pheasant hunting with me tomorrow and I'm bringing a back-up = Western Field M550B (Mossberg Model 500B), 16 Gauge C-Lect Choke® Pump Action
1895ss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Wingmaster 16 Reply with quote

Welcome Mossberg Moose, here's what you've got ......... hope it helps.
www.remington.com/libr...master.asp

Mossberg Moose
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Wingmaster 16 Reply with quote

Thanks, but that site doesn't make any sense. As best as I can tell from it, the gun was made in 2002. It just says Remington 870 Wingmaster on the reciever, but with the limitation of 2 3/4" shells and the forearm, make me think it is a 1950 version ?

Can I hunt ducks/shoot steel shot through this old / full choke barrel ??

It accounted for my 2 pheasant limit last weekend with only 2 shots. Had to use non-toxic because of where I hunt (used Bismuth rather than steel).
1895ss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Wingmaster 16 Reply with quote

remington.custhelp.com...d=f2Njjupi

Gil Martin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Wingmaster 16 Reply with quote

From the style of the forend cuts, it appears that your 16 gauge dates from the late 1950s or early 1960s. I have earlier model 870s with the tootsie roll forend and later ones with different checkering patterns. Look at the website below to determine the date it was made. There is a two digit code on most Remington firearms and that will denote the year of manufacture. You may be assured that your gun was not made in 2002. Hope this helps. All the best...
Gil

oldguns.net/sn_php/remdates.php

Handloader

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Wingmaster 16 Reply with quote

Sidenote: early 870 16ga shotguns were based on the smaller & lighter 20 ga action whereas current 16ga are based on the 12ga action. The weight difference is considerable.
Mossberg Moose
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Wingmaster 16 Reply with quote

It does handle more like a 20 gauge than a 12. I just got info back from Remington on the serial number. I have yet to hear about if I can shoot steel shot through the full choke barrel. I brought home 2 more pheasant this morning with it using Bismuth (it took 3 shells today). The second part of my question was: "Can I hunt ducks/shoot steel shot through this old / full choke barrel ??"
Thier reply from Remington on the age of the gun from the serial number is:

Remington Information <info@remington.com> wrote:
Response (Gloria) - 12/19/2006 11:35 AM

hank you for contacting Remington Country. Your Model 870 was produced around 1972.

From other responses, it appears I have a mis-match 870, I've taken the forend off and it has a 12 stamped on it on the under side and another reader advised that the butt stock is most likely from a newer version 870.
moose2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Wingmaster 16 Reply with quote

More than likely you will find that you can shoot steel out of your old 870.
What will probably happen, though, is that after time your full choke will gradually be degraded to something less than full choke, depending how much steel one shoots through it. Myself, I went through a similar situation with my old 870 12 ga. I shot steel through it's full choke for a number of years. I debated getting a new barrel for it, but opted to have choke tubes installed in the old barrel. It works fine and was a good decision for my circumstances, plus now the old 870 is alot more versatile.
Good Luck with your trusty old 870.--tr

faithfarms
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Wingmaster 16 Reply with quote

Just joined this site. I realize this is a very old posting. Hopefully you have not shot steel shot through a full choke bbl. That is damaging & potentially dangerous.
There is a number on left side of bbl that you can use for date of mfgr of bbl. Here is a web site you can use to look up the date:
armscollectors.com/sn/remdates.php
Of course, that does not tell you anything about the receiver. Taking butt stock off & looking at that was a good suggestion.
If it is truly an early weapon, which sounds like it is not, then a modern bbl will not fit. I have that problem & want an early bbl. I have a bbl for a modern 870 Wingmaster 16 ga that won't fit mine. Let me know if you still need one & we can work out something. I got mine from gunbroker.com though ebay sometimes has bbls. bueno suerte!
Mossberg Moose
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Wingmaster 16 Reply with quote

I just got another Remington 870 Wingmaster on GunBroker.com with a MOD choke barrel and I've confirmed that it was produced in Nov 1966. I checked with Remington on the age of the first one from the serial number and Remington Information <info@remington.com> wrote: "Your Model 870 was produced around 1972."

Over the past year I've seen several of these Wingmaster's with the tootsie roll forend and it appears that was an option rather than just an early model identifier. My "new" (produced Nov 1966) has the very nice checkering pattern and it appears to be all original. It also has 28 stamped on the under side of the forend (seems lighter), the '72 has a 12 stamped on it. The only difference I have been able to find is that the '66 butt plate is curved to fit the stock but the '72 is flat with a white plate and nice kickpad.

Don't worry about the steel shot, I'm using Bismuth, which also became extremely hard to find this year (used up what I had in stock).
faithfarms
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Wingmaster 16 Reply with quote

Glad to hear about bismouth vrs steel. Could have een bad for you & the bbl. I think my bbl is a 28" mod. If you still want one I will check to make sure. My email is: phone @ clover.net
Interesting fine about the tootsie role fore end. I had not heard that. Good to know at auctions!
Please let me know if you find a bbl for the old style 870.
I also have several Mossberg 190's (16 ga bolt) like you described. That was my first shotgun. Just found I have 3 now. If you want another one, I could probably part w/ one. Thanks!
Mossberg Moose
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Wingmaster 16 Reply with quote

faithfarms, I've also got about a half dozen Mossberg 190s, so I really don't need another one. I do have a extra stock for a 190KB that I refinished that could use some hardware to make a great gun. If one of your 190s is a KB, I may have something you can use. What I bought was a kickpad, but what I got was the wood stock and a kickpad. I just happed to be refinishing another 190KB so I was able to confirm exactly what it fits. It is a very good looking black walnut./
redrhino84 @ sbcglobal.net
faithfarms
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Wingmaster 16 Reply with quote

which is a KB & how do you tell? How much do you want for the stock?
Mossberg Moose
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Wingmaster 16 Reply with quote

It will be stamped on the barrel right after the 190. If you do not have a 190KB, my stock will not work with other 190s, I've tried and it doesn't fit. send me an e-mail at my e-mail address (end of last input) and I'll send a picture of the stock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 1