· Views: 824106
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

"Black" Gun Recommendations
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chambered221

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "Black" Gun Recommendations Reply with quote

Hey Joe

Once you get this RR bought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have a cool 9MM M4 style gun that would make a nice little brother!!!!!!!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "Black" Gun Recommendations Reply with quote

Something deleted this the last time I typed it....

I see 9mm as a close range personal defense round. We have one here (Walther P99) that I bought for the wife to use in case I'm not here and she needs to defend herself at home.

Big D,

On my recent forte's into the semi-auto rifle world, I also came across several M1A rifles. Today I had a wood-stocked Scout model in my hands, and almost forgot about the Ar's.

Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Black" Gun Recommendations Reply with quote

Heh Joe! I got a Walnut stocked M1A on order. But they are out of your budget if buying new and for the most part used they can be pricey as well. But I fell inlove with them the first time I held one when I was a little teenager, so I vowed to get one no matter what the cost!. Smile

Still I am starting to think the well stocked gun safe has a variarty of semi-automatic firearms including both a AR-15 and a M1A. Smile

Dimitri

hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Black" Gun Recommendations Reply with quote

D,

Outta my price range for sure, but still nice! The "Guy" at that shop carried one when he served, and you could see his appreciation for them. Oh yeah, the scout model was selling for $1400 US.

hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "Black" Gun Recommendations Reply with quote

Big D,

He also had a SOCOM II. I guess I dont understand that one....

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: "Black" Gun Recommendations Reply with quote

Ah yes the Socom II the one that was meant I guess to compete with all the black rifles that have a whole lot of rails for attachment of lasers, optics, and lights etc.

Doesn't strike my fancy too much, only rail I'd ever end up using would be the top one for a scope, and perhaps if I can afford one a UNS to attach forward of my scope. Smile

But then again if you want to use a UNS or flashlight with a M1A you can always get one of these top rails that look more "clean" and nicer in my opinion:

www.amegaranges.com/st...iniM14.php

Dimitri

jbird22cal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "Black" Gun Recommendations Reply with quote

Hmmm. My two cents worth. I went with the Ar-Platform for its modularity. I thought one gun, many purposes. I found myself changing triggers (single stage to 2 stage and back) butt stocks for balance etc.

I started with one Varmint bbl. rifle and then added a m4 contoured carbine. I found myself changing things out so much that I had enough spare parts to build a third one. With a myriad of accessories to choose from it's easy to go nuts.

Hanging out at the local gun shop that truly enjoys the ever so politically incorrect firearms. I have been exposed to many different AR-Types.

The brands I recommend are: DPMS, Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, and Stag Arms. I personally use mostly DPMS parts, but do have some Bushmaster and no name parts in there somewhere.

Most parts around I have found while out and about are good parts. If you are looking for a picatinny rail type forend, like on my m4. I highly recommend a Aluminum one over plastic. I had bad experience with a plastic one. I forgot the name brand at the moment and can't tell you which one. So if you go with AR most parts can be "shopped around for."
NOTE: If you Decide to assemble an AR-Rifle. The trigger guard in some cheaper parts kits, is not always the propper size to accept the retaining roll pin. Check it first before assembling. I broke my RRA reciever when the pin stopped half way. ( I had it welded it's solid)

Complete AR assembly is rather straight forward, short of bbl. instalation to the upper reciever. Which Requires vice blocks and of course a wrench.

S&W is making a AR type. Big Green Remington, has thrown in to the fray with a few AR options. I have not checked the availability of them yet, but from a few quick looks they appear to be contracted with Bushmaster based on the options.

I noticed you are looking at 7.62, If you like to drool like I do, check out the FALs from dsarms. They are neat in my opinion and quite a bit spendy. I haven't priced any out in awhile but I believe the basics may be just over the top of your budget. I don't recall if they have fluted chambers like H&K G3s or CETMEs from which the brass is done after squeezing them off.

Any way, I applaud you for looking into something like a "black rifle." It's an American tradition to collect and/or sportorise military rifles. I am happy to help you any way I can. I'll post my 3 for Ideas. Good luck and have fun.

Rifle Details:

From top:

1. Mostly DPMS, Tri-rise upper, 20" bull bb. 1-9 twist .223 Rem. - Stock Finish

2. Mostly DPMS. 16" M4 type bbl. 1-9 twist, 5.56 (missing muzzle Break - Replacing with a cooler one), Custom Finished in Grey wolf and matte black

3. RRA - Reciever, DPMS upper, Magpul Trigger guard, 16" heavy (car wight) bbl with stadard 20" length forend and site plane. 1-9 twist 5.56 - Due To be refinished from current funny looking finish to custom black and tan finish.

Note: Please leave out the finishes for now.

3ar_hnt_nut_600w.jpg
 Description:
Works in progress.
 Filesize:  99.33 KB
 Viewed:  7520 Time(s)

3ar_hnt_nut_600w.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

" I am not trying to be better than you... I'm not even trying to be Holier than you... I'm trying to be better and Holier than I was yesterday!" - jbird22cal
chambered221

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Black" Gun Recommendations Reply with quote

Joe

I see the 9MM as a toy, I leave the defense stuff up to Mr.45ACP and Mr. 12 Ga.

Anyways, I shoot 3 gun matches evry now and then, I'd like to have the RR 9MM for those matches that are close quarters.

We have also been known to break out the AR's after a IDPA match and run the COF with them.

Just food for thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: "Black" Gun Recommendations Reply with quote

Thats it I'm going to save up and get my Restricted license by the end of next year! Its going to be my next gun purchase. That Rock River NM AR-15 A4 will be mine! Very Happy

I just found out that they are importing Rock River's Pistol AR-15 magazines legally here with a capacity of 10 rounds in them, which are legal to use in the AR-15 rifles (or other rifles using the same NATO STANAG magazines). Very Happy

Dimitri

hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Black" Gun Recommendations Reply with quote

jbird,

Great lookin guns.

On #2, do you have a problem "seeing" the front sight when you use the holo-sight?

Oh yeah, the Remington version you mentioned is actually a Bushmaster. They are owned by the same corporation.

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Black" Gun Recommendations Reply with quote

So is DPMS! Wink

Now Remington was working with DPMS when they developed their AR-15's (before being bought up by the same company) so I do not know if they are using Bushmaster or DPMS to make these new models.

By the way Remington owns Marlin now too! Smile

Dimitri

hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "Black" Gun Recommendations Reply with quote

Ok, I told you I wasn't keepin up with this stuff....

Lemme see if I got this straight....

Bushmaster, DPMS AND Big Green are all the same corporation?

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: "Black" Gun Recommendations Reply with quote

hunterjoe21 wrote:
Bushmaster, DPMS AND Big Green are all the same corporation?

Your forgetting Cobb and Marlin as well.

Bushmaster (fully owned) and DPMS (fully owned I belive) and Remington (minority owned) are owned by Cerberus Capital Management ... Cobb is owned by Bushmaster and Marlin is owned by Remington.

Dimitri

jbird22cal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "Black" Gun Recommendations Reply with quote

hunterjoe21 wrote:
jbird,

Great lookin guns.

On #2, do you have a problem "seeing" the front sight when you use the holo-sight?

Oh yeah, the Remington version you mentioned is actually a Bushmaster. They are owned by the same corporation.

Thanks, So far I haven't had a problem with the sight setup. I still have some movement for zero. The Eotech allows me to move up and down to keep the reticle off of the front post. with the backup sigts alone I can see throuh clearly.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

" I am not trying to be better than you... I'm not even trying to be Holier than you... I'm trying to be better and Holier than I was yesterday!" - jbird22cal
hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "Black" Gun Recommendations Reply with quote

jbird.

Take the buttstock and grip from #1, put 'em on #2....

NOW we might be talkin........

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 3 of 6