Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

What kind of bow are you hunting with?
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FALPhil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of bow are you hunting with? Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
On the other hand, my Barnet Quad 400 (they call it the Quad AVI now) lets say is only 150 pounds so you can cock it without any aids, and it shoots a 475gr bolt w/ the head to get to its advertised speed of 345 fps, and delivers more energy on the target then the Excaliber Exomax which is their biggest that requires a cocking force of 225 pounds and only shoots a 400gr bolt at 355fps.

Dadgummit! Now I have to rethink my strategy. I hate when that happens! Shocked
Dimitri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of bow are you hunting with? Reply with quote

Phil,

My bow is a nice bow and it really fits me well when its in my hands. I really love it. Wouldn't trade it for another crossbow. It took a long time of trying out different crossbows in my hands to select this one, and when I selected it the "power" of the crossbow was just icing on the cake and I had to have it. So I bought it. Laughing

Want to know something to make you think about it alittle more Phil ?? The scope package of the Quad AVI is only 400$ at Cabelas, The Quad 400 package (same as mine, and as far as I can tell its the same crossbow as the AVI) is on clearance for 350$ .... The Excaliber Exocet package is 770$ and the Exomax package 820$. Just something to think about. Wink

By the way Excaliber Crossbows must sell a heck of alot more then the rest of the companies combined around here, cause all I see is people buying Excalibers like the Exocet and the Exomax, if I mentioned this at any location hunters here gather they'd say I'm nuts and for you to get a Excaliber. Confused

And no I do not work for Barnett or own shares in them. But I am just very pleased with my purchase. Smile

Dimitri

d_hoffman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of bow are you hunting with? Reply with quote

I've been wondering if a person could make up a pair of 12ga sabot that would fit an arrow for the front and the back of the arrow that could be used with a 1/2 charge of powder and fired out of a single shot shotgun.
Just a thought.

FALPhil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of bow are you hunting with? Reply with quote

d_hoffman wrote:
I've been wondering if a person could make up a pair of 12ga sabot that would fit an arrow for the front and the back of the arrow that could be used with a 1/2 charge of powder and fired out of a single shot shotgun.
Just a thought.

Kinda like a harpoon gun?

Dimitri, is this the sale you were talking about?
www.cabelas.com/cabela...hasJS=true
Dimitri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of bow are you hunting with? Reply with quote

Interesting idea, and might be able to get away with calling it a "non-firearm" as long as it goes slower then 500fps ... but they still might call it one for the hunting regs here. Confused

Dimitri

d_hoffman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of bow are you hunting with? Reply with quote

You'd probably have to use a 22" cross bow bolt and a mechanical broadhead.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of bow are you hunting with? Reply with quote

d_hoffman wrote:
Just a thought.

Gidday Hoff. The front round is easy....a speargun powerhead fitted to the front of a shaft. The rear shouldn't be too hard either...something like a balistite cartridge that the military used to project a hand grenade off a rifle.

Not too sure about the ballistics of it though. The front of the "arrow" would be terribly nose heavy so it would probably need a fairly high trajectory to "get out there".

Wouldn't be terribly accurate, but it sounds like a real fun project. Maybe the guys from Mythbusters would be interested in doing the development work. Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
robfromaz1977

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of bow are you hunting with? Reply with quote

I have 3 PSE's. One is an old one that was put together with new limbs on an old riser. Another is a Rageous thats about ten years old. My new bow is a year old Mach X. I like all of them. I took my biggest bull elk with the Rageous back in 2003 that scored 372 gross.
Bukmastr
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of bow are you hunting with? Reply with quote

d_hoffman wrote:
Just a thought.

When I was a kid, one of my buddys used to stuff wooden arrows with the feathers removed and cut off at the knock out of a .410 gauge shotgun. He would remove the bb shot by cutting the top of the shotshell off and stuff the arrow right down the barrle... Just used it plinking around the yard, it didn't seem real reliable, but probably could be tweaked into working better.
I thought it would be neat to use for shooting carp if rigged properly, but shooting them with a fire arm is illeagle here..

I am currently shooting an old Bear code compound that is about 10 or 12 years old. I bought it in a pinch when I ran my old reliable Darton Vipor over with my truck. I needed a bow that had good axle to axle lenth do to my ape arms and huge wing span Laughing It was the only bow that fit me, besides a mathews bow that at the time was somewhat new and made a loud clicking noise every time I pulled it back due to a string stop. They seem to have resolved that issue quickly...
Back to the origanal post, its hard to believe the Drenlen was loud when shot? A freind of mine shoots one and his is pretty darn quiet next to my bear code... The reason I have not replaced the old bear bow is becuase a friend of mine is about to release a new bow to the market and I have been waiting for its release. I am actually working on it to. I am helping with the machineing and some minor design on the cams. Its called the LoBo and its being manufactured by Lone Wolf custom gear, the same Guy who origanally invented the Lone Wolf treestand line... He has an awesome new cam design that removes a large portion of hand torque which is one of the biggest problems with maintaning consistancy with compound bows. Here is a picture of one of the proto-type modals.

hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of bow are you hunting with? Reply with quote

Bukmastr wrote:
d_hoffman wrote:
Just a thought.

When I was a kid, one of my buddys used to stuff wooden arrows with the feathers removed and cut off at the knock out of a .410 gauge shotgun. He would remove the bb shot by cutting the top of the shotshell off and stuff the arrow right down the barrle... Just used it plinking around the yard, it didn't seem real reliable, but probably could be tweaked into working better.
I thought it would be neat to use for shooting carp if rigged properly, but shooting them with a fire arm is illeagle here..

I am currently shooting an old Bear code compound that is about 10 or 12 years old. I bought it in a pinch when I ran my old reliable Darton Vipor over with my truck. I needed a bow that had good axle to axle lenth do to my ape arms and huge wing span Laughing It was the only bow that fit me, besides a mathews bow that at the time was somewhat new and made a loud clicking noise every time I pulled it back due to a string stop. They seem to have resolved that issue quickly...
Back to the origanal post, its hard to believe the Drenlen was loud when shot? A freind of mine shoots one and his is pretty darn quiet next to my bear code... The reason I have not replaced the old bear bow is becuase a friend of mine is about to release a new bow to the market and I have been waiting for its release. I am actually working on it to. I am helping with the machineing and some minor design on the cams. Its called the LoBo and its being manufactured by Lone Wolf custom gear, the same Guy who origanally invented the Lone Wolf treestand line... He has an awesome new cam design that removes a large portion of hand torque which is one of the biggest problems with maintaning consistancy with compound bows. Here is a picture of one of the proto-type modals.

I'm not a moderator, but maybe this post should be moved to "stuff for sale"....

Bukmastr
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of bow are you hunting with? Reply with quote

Not trying to sell anything... That was rather rude... I simply was hired to do the manufactoring of the Cam's by a freind, (I am a machinest not a salesman) and am excited about getting a chance to purchase and test a bow... That is what this thread was about, wasn't it?

hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of bow are you hunting with? Reply with quote

I am rude, and stubborn, and will never apologize for either. Are you or are you not involved in the manufacture and sale (for a profit) of this bow?

Bukmastr
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of bow are you hunting with? Reply with quote

No. I work for Quad Metals as a machinest and make cams for the bow, thats it, I get paid by the hour regardless whether I am working on cams or widgets, I get no funding, or money, from that bow...
Am I excited about it, and about getting the chance to make bow cams rather than the usual boring machine parts? Heck yea! And there is nothing wrong with that... My only guilt is that the Guy who invented the bow is a friend of mine... I am the one that talked my company into bidding on machineing his cams... But NO I get nothing, not one penny out of his bows.

hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of bow are you hunting with? Reply with quote

Bukmastr wrote:
No. I work for Quad Metals as a machinest and make cams for the bow, thats it, I get paid by the hour regardless whether I am working on cams or widgets, I get no funding, or money, from that bow...
Am I excited about it, and about getting the chance to make bow cams rather than the usual boring machine parts? Heck yea! And there is nothing wrong with that... My only guilt is that the Guy who invented the bow is a friend of mine... I am the one that talked my company into bidding on machineing his cams... But NO I get nothing, not one penny out of his bows.

This is getting way off the original post, and I WILL apologize to the original poster for that.

I'll go slow so you can follow along:

The COMPANY you work for (Quad Metals) is being PAID by Lone Wolf to produce cams. The COMPANY (Quad Metals) you work for is paying Dan by the hour(you said so yourself). Therefore, Dan has an intense interest in the success of the this bow.

Dimitri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of bow are you hunting with? Reply with quote

Joe,

Thats like saying just cause I have made mining equipment at work I got a interest in said mining equipment. Machinists get paid by the hour not by the job. Confused

Dimitri

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 2 of 3