Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Cabelas In Canada
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Cabelas In Canada Reply with quote

Looks like Cabelas is opening a store in Canada.
www.realtree.com/commu...hp?ID=1212
There stores are great.........
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabelas In Canada Reply with quote

I really wish Cabela's came to Ontario then Bass Pro. Smile

Cabela's has more things that interest me then Bass Pro. It seems to me Bass Pro is more "family and the outdoors" while Cabelas has more "serious" items. Smile

Dimitri

tracker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Cabelas In Canada Reply with quote

OH MY GOD!!! They're selling out a legend!! Oh well, guns is guns, at least it's close, I just have to drive an hour to the city of dirty water.

keetoowah

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabelas In Canada Reply with quote

I'll never get you out of there.

or come to think of you might not get me out of it

1895ss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabelas In Canada Reply with quote

Over the years I have purchased a lot of hunting related items from S.I.R. I always received prompt, friendly and courteous service from S.I.R. I will miss them, but then again Cabela's I'm sure will be as good. I hope they open a store near me soon.

Weinbender

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Cabelas In Canada Reply with quote

Cabelas in Winnipeg??????? I like!!
i personally dont mind SIR either but every time i went there the only nice people i met where the ones working in the clothing or knife department. the gun department guys were mostly hard to talk to and every time i looked at a gun i would get this feeling as if they are thinking of me as a little piece of shit city boy.
and price wise, SIR is EXPENSIVE!
i could get the same ammo and gun accesories in Canadian Tire for a few bucks cheaper.

and they say the SIR in winnipeg is the largest outdoor outfitter in canada!i am sorry if i offend anyone, but back in Germany we had hunting stores that big in a village. absolutely no choice of guns, although they are improving and they dont bring out their hoard of used guns and sell em anymore. we bought our ORiginal Marlin Goose Gun for $150, perfect condition except the stock my dad refinished. our Steven Double Barrel Shotgun also in great condition for $200, Coeey M60 .22cal, was in bad shape but we finished her up nicely and put a 3-9X40mm scope on that i still have to sight in. these are just some examples but of the 10 guns we have, 9 are used but in great condition and we didnt even spend $1000 on all of em. now thats what i call a family pack! Very Happy Very Happy

Daniel

tracker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cabelas In Canada Reply with quote

Daniel,

SIR's "size" is basically based on their mail order business, not the retail outlet. I have to say I agree with you on some of the people in their gun department. Most of the store are very courteous but a couple of guys in the gun department treat customers like they don't know anything. They are knowledgeable guys for the most part, but I think they're probably tuning up their act a bit with Wholesale Sports opening up around the corner and offering better prices on the same products.

Weinbender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Cabelas In Canada Reply with quote

Yeah like i said, they improving but i would be very thankful towards SIR if they sold more Army Surplus stuff like ammo, guns, and clothing. cheap but effective, for example the SKS, cheap ammo but plenty of power and accuracy to kill pretty much anything u want as long as shot placement is good. its semi auto too so thats good if Pooh the bear is running at ya! and if that doesnt do the job then u still got the bayonet as a backup.

btw i took ours off, and attempted to sharpen it like a knife, doesnt work too good or i just dont know what i am doing but atleast its sharp enough to penetrate flesh with sufficient force. looks kinda neat now, i made into a tanto blade style and smothed out the edges.

i prefer buying used guns as long as they are in excellent condition, because if u buy a brand new rifle, u have to shoot the barrel in and that can be costy depending on ammo price of caliber. i dont reload so i pay like $28 w. tax already for a box of 20 .300 win mag, and those are the cheapest ones i can find in that caliber. atleast its got a lot of power and its good down range too. 180 gr bullet at 3000 fps is not too bad.

Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabelas In Canada Reply with quote

Daniel,

I wouldn't use the 7.62x39mm round for shots over 100 yards on deer, and not on bear or anything bigger then deer myself. But thats just me. Smile

I'll take my FN49 any day with my bayonet over the SKS any day if a bear is charging at me. Shocked

Dimitri

tracker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabelas In Canada Reply with quote

Daniel, I don't know if they still will do it after Cabela's takes over, but SIR usually puts out sales flyers a couple of times a year with old military surplus, kind of whatever they have around I guess. Also, when the army and navy surplus down across from the Bay finally closes out, I understand SIR is supposed to pick up any left over inventory so they should have some surplus gear if not rifles.

Weinbender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Cabelas In Canada Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
Daniel,

I wouldn't use the 7.62x39mm round for shots over 100 yards on deer, and not on bear or anything bigger then deer myself. But thats just me. Smile

I'll take my FN49 any day with my bayonet over the SKS any day if a bear is charging at me. Shocked

Dimitri

I personally dont understand why the 7.62x39 round is so underestimated. its almost as wide as my .300 mag but lacks a little of the lenght and less powder, but otherwise this is a great round. but i would say that it wouldnt be the best gun to use over 100 yards due to iron sights and semi autos are not that accurate after a certain distance but overall the SKS is a great rifle. tho ive been considering buying a Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R, thats a 180 gr bullet almost excactly the same as a .300 mag and i heard its a good robust and powerful gun and its cheap and so is the ammo.

Daniel

Weinbender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Cabelas In Canada Reply with quote

tracker wrote:
Daniel, I don't know if they still will do it after Cabela's takes over, but SIR usually puts out sales flyers a couple of times a year with old military surplus, kind of whatever they have around I guess. Also, when the army and navy surplus down across from the Bay finally closes out, I understand SIR is supposed to pick up any left over inventory so they should have some surplus gear if not rifles.

Yeah we get the flyers from SIR but the only surplus guns they have are SKS and mosin nagant most of the time, they had the British Enfield and German K98 for a little bit they cost $300 and id rather double that and buy a Model 700 SPS DM in 300 mag or 308.

i never knew there was a military surplus store accross the bay. Surprised Sad otherwise thats where id go.

Daniel

tracker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Cabelas In Canada Reply with quote

Hey Daniel,

Did you say you already have your PAL or you're just about to get it? The test is something you could probably sleep through by the way. If you have it, and your interested in milsurp, check out www.firearmscanada.com. You can't buy anything without the PAL but there's been a couple of good deals on there.

Weinbender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Cabelas In Canada Reply with quote

well i did both tests when i was 12 but now i just have to send my application for an PAL away when i turn 18 in a week so its all good. and i did better on the tests then the other adults attending classes! later they went up to my dad and talked to him and found out why that was so!lol Very Happy

and thanks for the site, ill check it out!

Daniel

Dimitri

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabelas In Canada Reply with quote

Weinbender wrote:
I personally dont understand why the 7.62x39 round is so underestimated. its almost as wide as my .300 mag but lacks a little of the lenght and less powder, but otherwise this is a great round. but i would say that it wouldnt be the best gun to use over 100 yards due to iron sights and semi autos are not that accurate after a certain distance

Daniel,

The 7.62x39mm Russian is of the same energy of the 30-30Win, and is in line with the American 5.56x45mm NATO (223 Rem) and similar "intermediate power" rounds. Which are in my opinion good for up to 100 yards on medium game like deer for clean kills. I'm not under rating it just rating it at the level most other rounds of that similar power are used as bush guns at closer ranges. Smile

Other rounds like the 7.62x54mm Russian, 303 British, 8mm Mauser (like my FN49), 308Win, and the like are "Full power" rounds. Which in my opinion are good for over 100 yards but under 300 yards for clean kills on medium game and under 250 yards on larger game like moose, bear, elk and the like.

Then you have "Overly powered" rounds like most magnum rounds, which in my opinion are not good over 400 yards on any medium/large game animal.

But thats just me. Smile

Dimitri

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 2