No staff members are online!

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Want to start reloading 30-30 rounds, any good advice?
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Want to start reloading 30-30 rounds, any good advice? Reply with quote

Hey Arron......

Please show me where I've posted anything deemed unsafe, anywhere on this forum or the net for that matter, or broadcast unsafe reloading practices or a lack of concern for children..........

I'm halfway through raisin' six of them BTW, and can claim therein, an unblemished track record so far........

It should be required anyway, that on every newborns azz, a tattoo which reads, "Caution.....Life can cause Death".

The failure here was to offer advice to a newb on an entry level less an exorbitant amount of funds shelled out.

Where I've been is around the block and back, and have found most things thought as SOP by the masses to be unnecessary Voo Doo, and I feel zero shame expounding upon that which I've experienced......

Show me where I advised Mr. Big Dean to lay out extra cash on a tumbling unit that's not even really needed to begin with......

Show me where I told him only one reloading manual would suffice.....

Show me where I advised him to lay out even more extra cash on a progressive, without him having mastered a single stage and unknowing if he even wants to pursue the endevour to "Bushy's" master level.....

It's human nature to use a newbs querry to brag upon that which we have "progressed" to....a useful venue to lay out all that we own to glean justification for it and to show it off, regardless if we really think they will need that much just walking through the door.

The problem YOU, and "Bushy", and a couple others, have is...with all your believed Voo Doo and thought to be required processes and gear, it just kills y'all to admit there's simpler and easier, and thusly less expensive ways to do things.

Therefore thinking outside the box is a tuff task to take, as most can be very blind in hindsite.........

Personally, the funds I've neglected to spend on tumbling, on a fancy progressive press, and on a few of the other "required" items....have gone towards investment in componentry......which translates into more ammo, which is what it's all about anyway. Not a bad notion for a newb to absorb...I'd think.

And as usual, any advisement I put forth is for the benefit of the original poster for him to weigh against that offered by others.

My advice here is frugality with the reloading fund until he masters the basics and decides he wants more....please show me where that approach is a mistake.

I was taught that way and I'm glad of it.....................

I should add by the way that I MADE a tumbler, variable speed even, for a pitance, years back...that used the very same media boasted about here, and performed the exact same function as "Bushy's" expensive store bought unit.

I didn't have tumbler money at the time but I thought I needed one. I'll make no appologies that I learned a lesson in that tumbling is a PITA and that there's easier ways to get better results.............
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to start reloading 30-30 rounds, any good advice? Reply with quote

OK guys lets just stick to advice about reloading the 30-30.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
tracker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to start reloading 30-30 rounds, any good advice? Reply with quote

shrpshtrjoe wrote:
Joe

I was thinking it was kinda nice to see someone getting in trouble with the moderators that isn't me Very Happy Very Happy

but seriously folks, thanks joe, if these dudes aren't careful I might learn something Very Happy

1895ss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to start reloading 30-30 rounds, any good advice? Reply with quote

Sorry Joe but it's comments just like this one, and there's more, that get some peoples nickers in a twist.........

wildswalker wrote:

The man's been told that a blue million times already, by most everybody.

Your idea's on gear aint the only ones out there
, and I do believe he was soliciting different views.

Get over yourself.

As for reloading the 30-30, all you need is a starter kit and go from there. Many company's incl RCBS, Lee and others have them. And by all means get a Lee Factory Crimp Die for rifles with a tube magazine, it is a must. It works so much better then crimping with your seater die.

Handloader

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to start reloading 30-30 rounds, any good advice? Reply with quote

+1 on Bushy's recommendation of Lyman #48 and the paper towels for tumbling.

RE: case cleaning. I use a Dillon with corn cob and Dillon media cleaner and it usually requires about 30 minutes at the most.

Having loaded for 30-30 (I have a M94, 336 and a 788 Rem so chambered), I find it one of the pleasurable cartridges to load and shoot. I use a lot of cast bullets and have hunted with jacketed 170gr for a few decades.

I believe case resizing is a critical aspect of loading the 30-30. Especially in the M94s which have a bit more action stretch under pressure. For me, I resize only to the point that the round enters the chamber with just the slightest resistance. Case head separation in rimmed cartridges and lever actions are more common because the head spacing is not as exact as with bolt actions. Again, like Bushy, I crimp in a seperate operation.

Too, if using a case lube pad, it is important to remove any vestige of the lube from the loaded round. Several methods are commonly used, but, rolling the loaded case over a terry cloth towel that has been wetted with alcohol has worked well for me.

No cartridge has taken more deer in N America than the 30-30, a testament to the hunting skills of those that have used them for generations. It has a resplendant history and is a viable cartridge as much today as yesteryear. FWIW, my 788 in 30-30 is among the most accurate of my rifles --- so much for the myth of "inherently inaccurate"!
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Want to start reloading 30-30 rounds, any good advice? Reply with quote

shrpshtrjoe wrote:
Joe

And that differs how from other chamberings..?

Or to reloading in general.......from a new guys point of view?

This site is just to funny......
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Want to start reloading 30-30 rounds, any good advice? Reply with quote

1895ss wrote:
Sorry Joe but it's comments just like this one, and there's more, that get some peoples nickers in a twist.........

wildswalker wrote:

The man's been told that a blue million times already, by most everybody.

Your idea's on gear aint the only ones out there
, and I do believe he was soliciting different views.

Get over yourself.

Sometimes the truth hurts.............ey?
Handloader

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Want to start reloading 30-30 rounds, any good advice? Reply with quote

Personally, I don't mind spirited discussion about any given subject as it broadens the information available. Point, counterpoint has merit. That said, keeping the information on track is best done, IMO, by keeping things beyond the realm of personality or ego.
tracker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to start reloading 30-30 rounds, any good advice? Reply with quote

Handloader is absolutely right, I think it's own big dean to tell us if he has enough advice now so we can just get down to hurling insults for no good reason.

IMHO some people are so good at being...aw never mind...I'll just stir everything up again and Dallan and Joe will have to kick my butt.

Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to start reloading 30-30 rounds, any good advice? Reply with quote

How 'bout a series of threads to point and counter point at free will with all knowing before hand that it's likely a measured pizzin' match to begin with.....

Would be a chance for the "pro's" to air their expertise, and well, me and who ever has the ballz to counter it.

I absolutely fear no name called me by any Net Wizard.

For those not yet aware it might be interesting to find out Lottsa Myths can be busted...........
keetoowah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to start reloading 30-30 rounds, any good advice? Reply with quote

Hmm sounds like a
testerone pulling who's is bigger contest in here again
my my Wilds with all those "show me' comments you sure your not from Missouri?

tracker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to start reloading 30-30 rounds, any good advice? Reply with quote

wildswalker wrote:
How 'bout a series of threads to point and counter point at free will with all knowing before hand that it's likely a measured pizzin' match to begin with.....

Would be a chance for the "pro's" to air their expertise, and well, me and who ever has the ballz to counter it.

For those not yet aware it might be interesting to find out Lottsa Myths can be busted...........

Well Wilds, I'm no Net Wizard, nor a pro on anything, but if you ever do anything that I think it's worth calling you a name over, I'll be sure to, so far I just can't see how yer worth the bother.

keetoowah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to start reloading 30-30 rounds, any good advice? Reply with quote

and if they're true pros' then they really dont need to show off their expertise, unless they are over compensating for something smaller.

I already know that the males in here know enough for me to learn from, that no one pro can know all of what these delightful friends know.

Dallan and Joe
funny how you set up a site about shooting and firing things, and
that so many other things can be fired upon and shot up so badly huh>?

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to start reloading 30-30 rounds, any good advice? Reply with quote

wildswalker wrote:

IMO people come here to learn and have fun. This site isn't like alot of the other sites out there where people get in a pizzin match as you put it. People here for the most part treat each other with respect as it should be. We can debate a topic without bein rude or disrespectful. Thats why it has 5000 members and growin. If all you want is a pizzin match then I would suggest another site because we don't do that here.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to start reloading 30-30 rounds, any good advice? Reply with quote

Pretty much what I figured....

Sooooo predictable.

And as far as Dallan anf Joe setting up a site about shooting...

It's that on the surface for the most part, but the clique-ness is almost nauseating.

The big wank comments, to that end, speak volumes.....

I'll leave this thread to the quest for info on reloading the elusive tirty-tirty and dig up some data for the pro's to chew on in another.

Probably start with the Myth that case capacity makes a difference.....that should be a hoot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 3 of 5