Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824229
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

BEST LOAD FOR BLACK BEAR
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUCKBUSTER
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: BEST LOAD FOR BLACK BEAR Reply with quote

ANYBODY SHOOT BEAR W/ A MUZZLELOADER? ANY SUGGESTIONS ON 50 CAL. LOAD AND BULLET?
1895ss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: BEST LOAD FOR BLACK BEAR Reply with quote

BUCKBUSTER wrote:
ANYBODY SHOOT BEAR W/ A MUZZLELOADER?

I'm always dressed when I go out shooting any of my guns, but welcome aboard BUCKBUSTER, and quit hollering............ Smile I have no suggestion on a load for you though........... Sad

tracker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: BEST LOAD FOR BLACK BEAR Reply with quote

1895ss wrote:
I'm always dressed when I go out shooting any of my guns, (

how very reassuring Smile Smile Smile

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: BEST LOAD FOR BLACK BEAR Reply with quote

Black bears aren't armored like tanks, but they are a bit thicker than a deer. For that reason, I would avoid using a saboted pistol bullet, as they don't penetrate as well as some other ML projectiles.
If you are a bullet caster, Lee makes a really inexpensive mold for a 50 cal Minie ball that works very well in my 50. I would feel quite confident hunting black bear with the Minie ball, which weighs about 360 grains.
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: BEST LOAD FOR BLACK BEAR Reply with quote

Jack wrote:
Black bears aren't armored like tanks, but they are a bit thicker than a deer. For that reason, I would avoid using a saboted pistol bullet, as they don't penetrate as well as some other ML projectiles.

Black Bear die easy and bein' savvy on shot placement is what counts.......

I'd poke one with a 240 XTP/110 grains of Goex and never think twice about it.

It'd be almost like cheatin'...............
roklok

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: BEST LOAD FOR BLACK BEAR Reply with quote

I have to agree with Jack on this one, I have never shot a bear with a muzzleloader but if I was going to try I would use a fairly heavy full caliber conical. As far as black bear dieing easy, I guess any animal on the planet will die easy if hit perfectly. The thing with black bears is there are so many different sizes and even a small bear is heavier boned than a deer. If you encounter a truly large black bear (500 lb plus) and hit a shoulder I would have much more confidence in a heavy conical to penetrate to the vitals. I have witnessed a smallish black bear hang onto life with amazing tenacity on one occasion. My buddy shot one a bit far back with a 30-06 which clipped one lung. We found it still alive in some thick stuff about an hour later and he shot it again with the '06 in the shoulder, bullet angled forward breaking the spine and exiting the neck right behind the ear on the off side. We approached and found the bear still breathing. I gave my buddy my .357 loaded with 140 grain hollow point because he didnt want to blow another hole in hide with '06. He shot it with .357 through the lungs and it just kept on breathing. No change whatsoever. So he shot it again in the chest with '06 which finished it. I am sure that if he had put the first shot squarely through both lungs that would have finished it but in the real world things are not that easy, especially if you are not hunting over bait.
tracker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: BEST LOAD FOR BLACK BEAR Reply with quote

roklok wrote:
but in the real world things are not that easy,

Everything that needs to be said about any kind of hunting right there. Amen to that Roklok

Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: BEST LOAD FOR BLACK BEAR Reply with quote

Bear ain't deer for sho.....and their vitals ain't in the same place in relation to where they are in a deer.

Deer hunters hunting bear who put a slug in a bear where they would a deer will come up short....and in need of more holes.

Knowing bear anatomy is golden, knowing when not to shoot is priceless....

Bear die easy if you understand that............
keetoowah

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: BEST LOAD FOR BLACK BEAR Reply with quote

anything dies easy if you understand it.

wouldnt you say??

Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: BEST LOAD FOR BLACK BEAR Reply with quote

Killin' stuff is hard to make idiot proof.......

Not much on the NA continent I'd fear pokin' a saboted pistol bullet into via scoped inline and stiff charge of Goex FFg.....unless I lost complete touch with common sense and my own savvy.

There's limitations on both sides of trigger and if you work within them boundaries you can rule the world............
BUCKBUSTER
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: BEST LOAD FOR BLACK BEAR Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'm considering using a 300-350 grain barnes x bullet w/ 110-120 grains pyrodex. Anyone used these bullets in a ML. Info from randywakeman.com sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Just wanted other opinions.

This will be my second bear hunt. Dropped a 400 pounder last year w/ a .270 wsm but want to try ML this year.
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: BEST LOAD FOR BLACK BEAR Reply with quote

Wakeman is a pimp for Savage and extolls a lotta BS in that regard.....have argued plenty with him on other things and thus my opinion.

I use Barnes X's in my CF's and can think a Barnes X out of a ML could only mean good things.

My standard for a long time has been the XTP nonmag bullet since I found out they are so good at killin'.

I must admit I'd been wanting to try the plastic tipped Barnes ML X's since they came out.........
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: BEST LOAD FOR BLACK BEAR Reply with quote

1895ss wrote:
I'm always dressed when I go out shooting any of my guns, Sad

Dang.....thank goodness for that. I mean, a naked 1895ss Marlin shooter EEEEEEWWWwwwwww.......that is one scary thought.
Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 1 of 1