Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

New to reloading
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

ElyBoy wrote:
Also, listen to Bushy on stuff.
He got me through my CCW Class with a 99% shooting score.
Bushy knows what he is talking about.
Eric

Vince wrote:
Bushy, as usual I could not have said it any better.

We are gonna end up giving Bushy a swelled head here if we ain't careful.
Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
Having said that, he does know what her is talking about which is most important.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
lone wolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

The first time I went to use the .280 dies, I discovered the decapping unit on the sizer die has siezed solid. All equipment was stored for the last couple of years in the original container, in a cool dry place. I have tried everyting I know to lubricate the inside of the threads to loosen them enough to free the mechanism. Can I measue the protruding portion of the
decapping pin, to determine if the bottom of the pin holder is contacting the web of the case ? The decapping pin protrudes 0.265" from the bottom of the die. The bottom of the decapping pin holder is up the inside of the unit, but I am unable to get an accurate measurement on it. Any ideas or suggestions (aside from returning the dies to RCBS) ?
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

I already have a swelled head...Born with it...Got it from my dad...

Lone Wolf...If it's like my RCBS .38 Special decapping die, in that it is threaded into the die and locked with a threaded lock ring, try soaking (submerse) it over night in a solvent of some kind like kerocene or some other penatrent. If this doesn't work the only recourse you have, other then getting real rough with it, is to send it back to RCBS or replace/repair it locally...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
lone wolf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

Finally got to the range this morning with my first batch of reloads. I put together some starting loads for several brands of 140 grain bullets for the 7mm-08. For a first attempt they weren't too shabby, especially the five shot group for the Nosler Silver Ballistic tips. All groups were at 100 yards, the best coming in at an honest 1.5" outside to outside. This one definitely shows potential. After the initial results I cannot wait to get back to the bench !!

Thanks for all you help & friendly advice guys !!
lone wolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

Question: when a loaded cartridge is disassembled using a kinetic bullet puller, should the brass be resized ?

Or can it be reloaded "as is" ?

Can live, decapped primers be reused (assuming they do not become contaminated during te process).
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

lone wolf wrote:
Question: when a loaded cartridge is disassembled using a kinetic bullet puller, should the brass be resized ?

Or can it be reloaded "as is" ?

Can live, decapped primers be reused (assuming they do not become contaminated during te process).

Gidday lone wolf.....welcome to HuntingNut mate. Garb a beer, pull up a stump and sit awhile.

I have reloaded cartridges after they have been dissembled, but I quickly found that it is not a good practice. Bear in mind that the bullet has most likely been crimped into place and that involves "squashing" the case mouth. I now, as a matter of course, al least neck size the case. That way you don't ruin the new bullet by shaving the sides or distorting it.

There is nothing wrong with re-using decapped primers.....BUT.....it is either a very brave or very silly man that decaps live primers. Think about the depriming action.....a pin, similar in size to a firing pin, pushing down onto the primer anvil, crushing the priming mixture against the primer cup 8-O :twisted: .....pretty much exactly the same action required to set the primer off, only from the inside instead of the outside. For the sake of a couple of cents it is much safer to fire the primer and refit a new one.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

Regarding using brass after disassembling a cartridge, I'd want to resize the neck to make sure I have good neck tension and bullet fit. You could remove the decapping pin and run the case through the die again. I've done that with straight cases and carbide dies.

With a bottlenecked cartridge you'd have to be careful about the lube though, I woudn't want to run a primed case through the tumbler to remove it. That said, I would want to remove it! Might be easier to just do as Vince suggests and fire the primers before restarting. It would make for some great "dry fire" practice!

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

Pumpkinslinger has it...Just remove the decapping pin and resize the case. Smile

Now here is where I have to disagree with Vince (And I don't do this very often wtf ). There is no problem decapping a live primer. To set off a primer you have to hit it with a sharp blow. Just pushing it out with the decapping pin will not set it off. I have removed lots of live primers due to mistakes made by my reloading equipment (You didn't think I would blame myself for those mistakes did you? Very Happy ) I, however, would wear eye protection when removing a live primer. You should be wearing safety glasses when reloading anyway...

Reusing the bullet should not be a problem as long as you haven't gotten mean and nasty with the crimping. Most rifle cartridges aren't crimped anyway. At least I don't except for my .30-30 rounds and they get a heavy crimp...

Arron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

If you should want/need to decap live primers wear your ears and eyes!
Ear plugs and glasses, for those who have not heard the term before.

I have set off live primers doing this very operation, and my ears were ringing for a few minutes after not a good thing as my left ear is missing about 45% or it's original range. It does work the same way as a firing pin or striker. Another key to not having this happen is too not run the press "fast" and "pop" the the primer or you most likely will set it off.
"Steady is smooth, smooth is fast." Sorry BushMaster but I am going to take a different line of logic on this one from yourn', as I have had it happen. Another thing to beware of on a similar thought is seating a "high" primer in a live round; many have done this but it is VERY dangerous and while 99% of the time you'll be fine, but what aboutthat 1% chance? There was one fellow a VERY seasonded loader from another forum who did this with a LEE Auto-Prime unit(just happened to be the one he uses) and he somehow did it just right and set off the cartridge and the bullet rode his nose up his face and over his forehead. While it is funny to see the pictures(mental or otherwise) after, I sure as heck would not want to have that happen to me. Just not what I would consider a fun thing to do in my freetime.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

Arron you must be unlucky or something. Twenty years and I haven't ever set one off.

And I would NEVER reseat a high primer on a loaded round...NEVER!!!

Arron

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

I must be unlucky? OH yeah now that is AN understatement if ever I heard one! The really sad part is Cathy was right above me when it happend and they really snap when they go off in an enclosed space and she NEVER HEARD IT!! I knew that illness she has destroyed her hearing and sense of smell but I would have thought she would have heard it! She came looking for me when I tested a .25ACP outside of the house and it went off, as well as when i tested the 60gr .22LR SSS load in my little semi-auto. Met me at the door demanding to knowwhat the effing
h--l I thought I was doing! I just said, testing a load. SHE WAS NOT HAPPY!! HA HA HA HA HA! Let be a lesson for the rest of ya's.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

Yup...They are quite loud. I've deliberately set them off in the Gun/reloading Room when I've seated them sideways or crushed them just to see if they still work. But they have been chambered in a gun for the test. Love the smell of a fired primer...Reminds me of my Cap pistol days long ago...

Assuming that Cathy is your wife?...All I get out of my wife when I test a round outside the house is "Well? Did it work?"...My range is about 25 yards from the back door of my house...

Arron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

Yes she is my wife. She was completely "citified" before she met me and began her education into the fascinating world of an (ahem) "outdoorsman" he he! Now she is not phased in the least and I am kind of upset now because she is used to it and knows when I am doing something with the firearms or making noise to just kind of ignore it unless a loud noise and no cussing(big clue)or no more noise. Then she is more like well what did you do now? HA HA! Aren't they great? The worst is when I am working on a car, better cover the ears on small children as they have been known to go "deaf and dumb" in the presence of my "experienced cussing ability" OK enough of that, back on subject, keep those eyes and ears protected at all times because you just never know when the F-up fairy is going to raise her UH-GA-LEE head!
lone wolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

Is it acceptable practice to mix powders of the same type (in this case IMR 4350) ? Or do you simply sacrifice the little bit at the bottom of the (soon to be empty) container ?
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: New to reloading Reply with quote

No...Not unless they are of the same lot number. If you just can't stand to use the few remaining flakes for lawn fertilizer, load one or two cartridges (or what ever it takes to use most of the remaining powder) for range practice. But don't mix two different lot numbers...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 2 of 3