Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820723
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Hunting alone is crazy?
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Hunting Alone....
It's safe I do it all the time.
60%
 60%  [ 20 ]
It would be neat to try sometime.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I can see why people do it, I might try it.
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
It's not a good idea, so I wouldn't do it.
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Its really not a good idea and I'd never do it.
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 33

tracker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

I hunt alone or with a couple of partners that I know really well. Alone can be a lot safer than some of the people asking to come with me (see some of my previous posts, LOL) I certainly agree with 1895 about a bit of common sense, that says it all.

And what's this about hunting in trees we'd still have tails? You mean you guys don't have ....never mind Embarassed Embarassed Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

twofifty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

Dimitri - Another good question might be:

do you travel and sleep in grizzly country, alone and without a rifle?
Dimitri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

No, just starving over populated thank to the no Spring bear hunt anymore black bear country when I go camping I'm unarmed. Laughing

Dimitri

keetoowah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

can you really be alone in the woods anymore anyway?
I hike alot off the beaten path seems I am always running into people. would figure the same for hunting.
and here in Montana 1 out of every 4 people hunt. + tourists that come here.
kids have to take extra credit and do it in camp at night as not to fall behind in school.
so its not like the good ole days when you were alone you were alone.
cant really call yourself alone if you have all the toys of communication with you.
regards

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

Unarmed? Dimitri? Do you know the word "FOOD"?? Very Happy

It's still possible to hunt alone. Where I go a cell phone won't work anyway. besides I don't own one and I refuse to become a slave to one.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

Bushmaster,

Well for one when I go camping I'm in Provincial and Federal parks so I'm not allowed to be armed with a firearm. Laughing

I do carry my "utility" knife which is a 6" (lenght of blade) fixed blade knife in the P37 pack I bought and used this last summer or before that kept it in my old pack. Smile

I wonder how good I'd do with one of these bears. Shocked

Dimitri

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

With a knife? Not good...Not good at all...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
fireball 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

i do believe just haveing a knife along is like driving down hill with no brakes, just use the hillside to stop. yeh right. i believe in the b.s. motto be all you can be,no be prepared yeh that's it . oh hello mr. bushmaster. dave. Smile

Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

Fireball,

I'm sort of kidding about using the knife for defence, I carry it so I can wood fiddle mainly or cut wood for fires etc. And maybe cut a section of blue barrie plant to eat. Laughing

If I did end up seeing a bear and it attacked me well if I make it back I'll tell you what I did. ROFL

Dimitri

fireball 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

Very Happy mr.d. i was just kiddin' also so your knife has a 6" blade? who makes it? the knife i usually care is 14" long but then again it's more of a survival knife, it's a kabar. marine issued. dave Laughing

Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

Its a Schrade Old Timer knife with a molded green handle I picked up for cheap (5$ at clearance when the company closed its doors in 2004) because I liked Schrade's knifes and they were all on clearance and most were gone so I bought it was it was the last one left. Smile

Dimitri

freedyf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

Good crap, It's getting slow on this stuff. Let's get some action going. My favorite knife is a WWII, Marine Corps Machette, weighs about 3-4# lbs. Great for clearing brush, wittling a tooth pick. picking your teeth, cleaning your fingernails, splitting a pelvis or just scaring off the unwanted visitors. sharp enough to shave with. But I also carry a Buck Skinner, Sharpened to a point ( It's usually rount nosed). Holds a great edge. You can pound it with a rock on bones and it still holds up. Also carry a Victorian Tinker,(Boy scout knife), for close and personal work. I like to hunt alone but enjoy friends at nightfall around the campfire. With a toddie and a wthiteman's fire (big one). (indian fire, stand close, whiteman fire, big fire stand away). Semper fi. Freedyf

Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

Neat Freedyf! Smile

Never owned a machette myself. Smile

Dimitri

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

freedyf wrote:
My favorite knife is a WWII, Marine Corps Machette, weighs about 3-4# lbs. Great for clearing brush, wittling a tooth pick. picking your teeth, cleaning your fingernails, splitting a pelvis or just scaring off the unwanted visitors. sharp enough to shave with. Freedyf

Marine Corps issue??? Some years back we had a Company of US soldiers from Hawaii on exchange and we issued them aussie gear, which included a machete. One of their Officers saw one of them with it, wtf Shocked went very pale and went crazy, screaming "TAKE THEM BIG KNIVES OFF'N OUR SOLDIERS.....THEY'LL KILL ONE ANOTHER WITH THEM!!!!!", so they had to hand them all back in. Haha :haha: Haha

I have two machetes...one that is original and the other I have modified a 'little' to serve a purpose. I'll get my knives together and take a pic so I can post it.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Morax

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting alone is crazy? Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
freedyf wrote:
My favorite knife is a WWII, Marine Corps Machette, weighs about 3-4# lbs. Great for clearing brush, wittling a tooth pick. picking your teeth, cleaning your fingernails, splitting a pelvis or just scaring off the unwanted visitors. sharp enough to shave with. Freedyf

Marine Corps issue??? Some years back we had a Company of US soldiers from Hawaii on exchange and we issued them aussie gear, which included a machete. One of their Officers saw one of them with it, wtf Shocked went very pale and went crazy, screaming "TAKE THEM BIG KNIVES OFF'N OUR SOLDIERS.....THEY'LL KILL ONE ANOTHER WITH THEM!!!!!", so they had to hand them all back in. Haha :haha: Haha

I have two machetes...one that is original and the other I have modified a 'little' to serve a purpose. I'll get my knives together and take a pic so I can post it.

Cheers, Vince

is this one of those aussie "Now this is a knife" kinda things???
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 4 of 5