Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824058
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Where to aim?
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

The guys in the Gilli Suits got this stuff figured......noone in that game frets up hill or down hill lest it be Extry Extreme.......goat hunters huggin' rocks see Extry Extreme.

I subscribe to that theory in general......it never don't work.

First deer this past season was a lasered and second guessed 280 yards, no room at all for relyin' on point blank as it was a thread the needle deal in Heavy Timber....I shoot less that theory with zero qualm....

The kicker was I had no time/worries on the barrel tipped down about 20 degrees......

My confidence in my gear remains unshaken......
mc223

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

I have only had one miss on an elk with the trusty old 300. it occured on my second trip for the wiley wapiti. Probably the most difficult shot,even for the most experienced hunters. Downhill at appox 30 deg. 200 yds quartering away. my shot went low and behind the opposite front leg. This was due to my inexperiance at that time and the reduction of kill zone at that angle. I have not run across that scenario since that day, but I have mentally practiced it nearly every day since.

Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

No amount of computer generated voodoo can replace practice, practice, practice, practice, practice....................

When you are confident in your gear and all the mysterious stuff is snuffed...things like this leave no worries.......
gelandangan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

I must be a sucker for punishment, to bring out this ol' topic again..

Browsing the net I came by this page
www.scilowcountry.org/..._study.htm

and there, I found and I quote:

"Based on the data collected in this study we feel that the best shot placement for deer is the shot directed at the shoulder. Traveling an average of only 3 yards, deer shot in the shoulder traveled significantly less distance than deer shot in the heart, lungs, or abdomen. Also, with such a short distance of travel, deer shot squarely in the shoulder did not generally leave the hunter's sight. In this study, the broadside shoulder shot essentially gave results similar to what most hunters expect from a neck shot. "

So, shoulder is the point to aim aint it?

Also, it is interesting that the study shows that the caliber choice makes little difference in the result.

So there..

Flame me if you must Smile

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

gelandangan,

Its not your information so we wouldnt be flaming you Very Happy

Now I'm going to be the first to say if your hunting with a 50BMG I dont care how big that deer is its going to drop on the spot after a chest area shot but a 22LR might not have the same results. Laughing

One thing you got to rememeber is that a sholder shot depending on the angle will also do quite abit of damage to the chest (lungs and heart). So you need to factor that in to. As well as if the deer are "actually" dieing from the sholder shot or just cant walk alway thats why they are found so close to the point they were hit, Confused even when hitting the lungs and heart in another path the deer maybe "dead" in the sense it doesnt have a working heart to beat but it might still have enough energy to let it run alot more then a sholder shot because its legs are still intact. Wink

That reminds me 50's are legal for deer hunting here too. I wonder if anyone hunts deer with them. Shocked

Dimitri

sniper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

gelandangan wrote:
. And all my knowledge so far were read out of books, magazine or the web.
I generally aims to the center of the quarry's chest.

1. Where is considered the right aiming area for a four legged animal if they have their buttock facing you square on?

2. Where to aim if they are squarely facing you with their head on the way?

3. Is it true that ultra slow caliber like the .300 whisper would kill better than a fast 308 win? If it is, could I load my 308 to be ultra slow as well? would it bother the accuracy? or would it be dangeorous (due to the large empty space in the cartridge shell)?

4. why does the sun rises from the East?

Gelan.

1. That's called a "California heart shot", and is not recommended. Very unpukka, old boy!

2. Visualize the animal's vitals as a soccer ball sized mass in the chest. Then shoot for the center of the ball, from whatever postion your game is facing. You may have to shoot through other parts to reach the vitals.

Side shots, non-dangerous game, vertical crosshair snug against the front leg, horizontal crosshair ~1/2-1/3 up the body. KAPow! Gottim!

Dangerous game, crosshair on the front leg, shoot through the bone mass to cause splinters, hit the vitals and break the critter down, so he is less likely to chew on or otherwise rerrange your personal backside.

3. The .300 Whisper should be named the .300 LOUDENBOOMER. Don't go screwing around with loading up, down, or sideways! Use your .308, good 165-180gr factory loads, and FEAR NOT!

4 I always sort of thought that things were a bit bassackwards in Australia, but technically, the sun doesn't rise, the earth rotates towards the east. Of course, there is always the fact that below the Equator, coriolis force is somehow reversed, and water flows down the drains in the opposite direction than it does above the Equator... All very confusing.

VINCE! Where is that guy when you need him?

Anyway, welcome. This is a good place to be!
wncchester

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

Hello mate, I think your joke was well received, we just wondered if your whole question might also be a joke on us!

I shoot for a specific "spot" IN my game, not ON my game. The ideal kill shot punches a hole in a grapefruit sized area almost exactly half way between the critters chest top and bottom lines and inline with the front legs. IF we aim for that small inner ball, we can kill it if the bullet penatrates far enough. Butt shots are poor because few hunting bullets will give that much penatration and, even when they do, the bowel carnage makes cleaning the mess out too much of a chore.

The biggest obsticle to a fast and precise shot at this ball-sized kill zone comes when we have to figger just where it is at the moment of shooting. But, if we work all year round to train our minds to look at every photo or TV or movie deer, hog, etc. as if it were our next game target we can eventually train our subconcious minds (the only part I use some days!) to almost aim and fire for us when the time comes.

Immediately focus your thoughts on every critter or image of one, immediately visualising the horizontal wire half way up and the vertical wire centered between the front legs, from any angle, and think "fire". Eventually, that "mind shot" will lead you to hit the kill zone, everytime. If you can't see halfway up it's likely because he has his butt in the way so avoid that shot.

And I agree with you, the head shot is a sure killer IF the critter doesn't move his head. I had that happen once and I've never repeated the mistake.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

Gidday Gelan...hope your Christmas was good...and sorta sober, and that your New Year...hey, thats tonight Very Happy ....will be the same mate.

OK....I have to agree with what all the other guys here have said. "Shoot the ball" and you have achieved. Head shots are good if you can achieve them, not always possible for a myriad of reasons, neck shots are also good, but nothing beats turning the heart and lungs into mush for stopping a critter, be it deer, goat, dingo, pig or roo.

As for the Texas/California heart shot....it certainly would not be my choice of shot. As wncchester says.....too messy, especially if you are "meat shooting". I also think that there is a "dignity" thing there as well; its not exactly gentlemanly to pop a round up the "tan track" wtf Shocked Shocked .... just doesn't sit right with me, and neither will the poor old critter if you don't hit him squarely. Confused Laughing Laughing Laughing

Follow the "directions" described by wncchester and sniper you won't have any problems. Shut down the "engine room" and its all over.

sniper wrote:
I always sort of thought that things were a bit bassackwards in Australia, but technically, the sun doesn't rise, the earth rotates towards the east. Of course, there is always the fact that below the Equator, coriolis force is somehow reversed, and water flows down the drains in the opposite direction than it does above the Equator... All very confusing.

VINCE! Where is that guy when you need him?

Hey, snipes old mate.....I'm here....just thought you might be digging your hide.....or just digging yourself into a hole. Laughing Laughing Laughing You are doin' ok...you don't need my help just yet mate. Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

I now dis-advise headshots out here in the USA... Chronic Wasting Disease is a reality for almost every state, and its found mainly in brain and spinal tissue. I dislike the thought of headshots spreading that material around more than is necessary. Give me a good old fashioned broadside shot through the vitals.

-DallanC
Grant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

I don't know but as the years have gone by and I've taken more and more animals, broad side is the only side. I have taken a few head shots over the years and never had a problem, but taking out the lungs or heart are the way to go. I don't even like quartering shots as a general rule. Shot straight through the rib cage and no measurable meat damage which is just as important to me as the fact the broadside heart or lung shot put em down quick and clean.

Grant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
As for the Texas/California heart shot....it certainly would not be my choice of shot. As wncchester says.....too messy, especially if you are "meat shooting". I also think that there is a "dignity" thing there as well; its not exactly gentlemanly to pop a round up the "tan track" wtf Shocked Shocked .... just doesn't sit right with me, and neither will the poor old critter if you don't hit him squarely. Confused Laughing Laughing Laughing

Vince, I agree completely. Just isn't right to shoot a critter that way. Gotta have respect for the animals we harvest.

I stopped a buddy of mine from shooting this Mule Deer buck one time cause, well, the buck was actually breeding a doe at the time and I just couldn't let a guy get shot while getting laid. That has to be against all sorts of codes of conduct...... Very Happy

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

All shots that will give a clean and quick kill are good shots. Gut shots and from the rear forward are NOT good clean and quick kill shots. In my (notso) humble opinion anyway...

Keep it in the engineroom. And out of the boilerroom.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
d_hoffman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

1895ss wrote:
gelandangan wrote:
I feel a bit silly.
I have been hunting/shooting for about 7 years now. And every one of those "hunts" is self tought. I have no, so to speak, teacher in the game. And all my knowledge so far were read out of books, magazine or the web.

I can stalk my target up to about 25 meters (about 27 yeards I think) repeatedly in a bushy locations. And I could regularly hit a target the size of a cigarette box at 100 meters with my ruger 77mkII - .308WIN.

I generally aims to the center of the quarry's chest. I certainly do not feel confident enough to shood at their head (it is small and moves a lot). Be it goats pigs, or deer. Some time they drops right a way, some time they runs away and I have to chase after them with great difficulty to place a mercy shot at their head when holding my muzzle againsts the skull.

Now, having established my background, I have a few questions.
1. Where is considered the right aiming area for a four legged animal if they have their buttock facing you square on?

2. Where to aim if they are squarely facing you with their head on the way?

3. Is it true that ultra slow caliber like the .300 whisper would kill better than a fast 308 win? If it is, could I load my 308 to be ultra slow as well? would it bother the accuracy? or would it be dangeorous (due to the large empty space in the cartridge shell)?

4. why does the sun rises from the East?

Thank you in advance.

Gelan.

I smell something wrong here................ !
ME TOO !!! Yuck
#1 If you've been hunting for 7 years my first question is why would you be asking questions like these and,

#2 If you can stalk up within 25m's, borrow Bushy's 30-30 "jack handle"

#3 If you're any kind of a marksman then you should be able to pick shots such as the back of the head or upper neck while heading away, and like Bushy said, a head shot is good given a clear shot with no brush in the way that is.
Morax

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

a smoke pack at 100 yards is eye ball shot at 25 yards....
rdncktink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to aim? Reply with quote

Have to comment on the Texas/California shot
hay as long as you take him out to diner afterwords and use enough (okay gotta keep pg-13) "assitence" on the bullet it would be different. But I guess since I'm am a California and do live rather close to the Bay that I think a little different.

As for the "mid coitus" issue, at least he would have died happy, not so much for the doe though. Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 4 of 7