Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

7mm Remington Mag good or bad?
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Reply with quote

Anyone for a stick or two of dynamite?? Concidering my physical presents (heighth and weight) I'll stick with my .30-06. I haven't found anything I can't put down with it. Anyone see that gopher I hit the other day? He went some place. All I found was a smudge on the ground next to the [bullet] hole (crater)(180 gr soft point).

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
mossbak
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Reply with quote

True, but a 7 mag can really reach out there though...
4rum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Reply with quote

Having only one caliber would put a damper on a lot of threads here too!
1895ss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
Anyone for a stick or two of dynamite?? Concidering my physical presents (heighth and weight) I'll stick with my .30-06. I haven't found anything I can't put down with it. Anyone see that gopher I hit the other day? He went some place. All I found was a smudge on the ground next to the [bullet] hole (crater)(180 gr soft point).

My brother has a 7mm and he likes it... I don't have one and don't need one. I have enough deer to Elk cartridges lets see 6mm, 25-06,30-06, 45-70 and a few others.... Very Happy
Bushy, I saw a few funny little bits of fur out here in the snow and I was wondering what that was............ Very Happy

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Reply with quote

Could be...I was told when I moved into this place I might have a few armodillas digging holes about the place...No I won't...I've been think of a .22-250 or something on that order. Haven't decided.

The 7mm Remington Magnum has been around for quite a while. I remember seeing a few when I was much younger. My hunting partner of the 1970s had one. It did him fine on deer and elk. If memory serves me wasn't the 7mm Rem Mag one of the first commercial "popular" magnums?

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Dimitri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Reply with quote

I belive so Bushmaster if your disculde the H&Hs. And even the H&H's never sold I dont belive like the 7mm Rem Mag did and still does. Smile

However it seems that the .375 H&H is the favorite for 9 year olds hunting large bears. Shocked

Dimitri

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
Anyone see that gopher I hit the other day? He went some place. All I found was a smudge on the ground next to the [bullet] hole (crater)(180 gr soft point).

Hey Bushy....I was outside last night and saw a red mist flash past way over here in Aussie......couldn't have been your gopher by any chance? Laughing Laughing

I have never actually used the 7mm Remington, but I have used a lot of calibres all around it, from .308 up to 45.70 and whilst I'm sure there is a niche for it and it is a well loved calibre by those that have it, I really don't think that I will ever need one.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
PaulS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Reply with quote

The 7mm mag sold a lot of guns and then at the end of the first season there was a bunch of used 7mm mags for sale used. I guess there were some problems with shooting at animals that were too close or having bullets that were made for the velocity of the magnum. They have fixed the problem with bullets but most of those magnums are on lightweight guns and have a kick that is anything but comfortable. I have a couple of 30-'06's and have no need for a magnum. I am thinking about a 257 Roberts. Not that I need one but it would be nice to have one now that it is an honest round and not a wildcat.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
hunter63

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Reply with quote

The 7 mag was rated in a "recoil" study, (wish I had the artical) as the lowest of the high, or highest of the low.
Big jump up to the .300 win mag.

Although the first time I shot it, planning on an "out west trip", did a sight in, then "practiced", from several positions, firing, the working the bolt for a second shot etc.
Put about 60 rd's thru it that day and can't even tell you what all colors my shoulder was after the day.

Standing to the side, but behind he shooter, you could still feel the blast.

I still think it's more of a "push" the a "slam" against you.
The 30-06 seems to ME the harshest recoil, 'sept maybe my 3-1/2 mag, 4 Hevi-shot, thru a extra full turkey choke. That will set you free. Gotta really want to kill a turkey.

So, as the 7mm short mag, 300 short mag , an others come and go, I will be depending on "Elviria, queen of darkness", to do my dirty work.

BillP
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Reply with quote

There is no question the 7MM Mag has a reputation for vicious recoil. I don't know if the cartridge itself deserves this. Because it's thought of as an "elk rifle" they tend to build them sort of light. I expect that's because elk hunters do a bit of walking up where the air is thin and don't want to lug around a lot of weight. As for being LOUD Shocked I won't offer any excuses.
d_hoffman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Reply with quote

Handloader wrote:
The 7mm Rem Mag is a fine cartridge. It's history and success shows that it is almost as good as the 30-06.
All the ballistic tables I've read puts the 7mag a good margin ahead of the '06.
d_hoffman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Reply with quote

hunter63 wrote:
The 7 mag was rated in a "recoil" study, (wish I had the artical) as the lowest of the high, or highest of the low.
Big jump up to the .300 win mag.

Although the first time I shot it, planning on an "out west trip", did a sight in, then "practiced", from several positions, firing, the working the bolt for a second shot etc.
Put about 60 rd's thru it that day and can't even tell you what all colors my shoulder was after the day.

Standing to the side, but behind he shooter, you could still feel the blast.

I still think it's more of a "push" the a "slam" against you.
The 30-06 seems to ME the harshest recoil, 'sept maybe my 3-1/2 mag, 4 Hevi-shot, thru a extra full turkey choke. That will set you free. Gotta really want to kill a turkey.

So, as the 7mm short mag, 300 short mag , an others come and go, I will be depending on "Elviria, queen of darkness", to do my dirty work.
The Savage 110 I had was just a sharp snap for recoil, definately manageable. I'm 5' 7" weigh 165 and that's all it does to me. The '06 has more recoil for no more power than it's got.
Grant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Reply with quote

I've got a Savage 110E-D in 7mm. I like it. It's very accurate and has lots of horsepower. The only reason I bought it though was a buddy of mine was out of work and needed the cash. It has a bit of a kick to it, but the performance makes up for the bit of a stiff shoulder after taking it to the range. Would I buy another 7mm Rem Mag, yeah, probably would.

Handloader

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Reply with quote

d_hoffman wrote:
Handloader wrote:
The 7mm Rem Mag is a fine cartridge. It's history and success shows that it is almost as good as the 30-06.
All the ballistic tables I've read puts the 7mag a good margin ahead of the '06.

Hello d_hoffman: it depends on what is being compared in the ballistic tables. Due to caliber differences, one comparison can be made by bullets of similiar sectional densities. Or we can compare bullets with similar ballistic coefficients and their attendant velocities. Depending on how we wish to approach these comparisons, the 7RM and the '06 are so close in performance within practical and realistic hunting ranges that many other issues are more critical (the skill to use the firearm, for example). In terms of highest energy (ft/lbs) the edge goes to the '06, owning to the heavier bullets it can use, but, not by much.

Still the 7RM requires a lot more powder and a longer barrel to achieve a par status with the '06. This usually results in notably heavier rifles, often chosen by adolescent types seeking some macho image or the ignoratti. But, not always. Still, heavier rifles, of course, accelerate the wear of the sling/swivels and footgear, boots and socks, and are suspected of being a cause in premature impotence and hemorrhoids. This is why older and wiser hunters prefer, mostly, lighter rifles and, often, have more children that, usually, are more intelligent. But, the muzzle blast and flash from the 7RM seem to compensate for these minor sacrifices for many owners, something the poor ole '06 owner cannot claim.

One has to admire the tenacity of Bob Hagel in promoting the 7RM, much as Layne Simpson's more recent attempts to have his 7STW commercialized and legitimized, afterall no one wants to the the parent of a bastard cartridge. Exaggerate anything often enough and people actually begin to believe it! But, the shooting public was slow to respond in both cases and it took a lot of articles to create any marketability.

We all make choices. But, compared to the fabled and historic '06, the 7RM could be considered as simply a heavy varmint rifle. IMO, of course. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
jeh7mmmag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 7mm Remington Mag good od bad? Reply with quote

"In terms of highest energy (ft/lbs) the edge goes to the '06, owning to the heavier bullets it can use, but, not by much."

"highest energy (ft/lbs) the edge goes to the '06," Better look again!

"heavier bullets it can use, Agreeded

longer barrel to achieve a par status with the '06. wrong

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 2 of 9