· Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Weaponry for CCW
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

I rest my case...Although I would amagin that had he aimed for the torso we would be reading a different story.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
george20042007

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

I'm beginning to see this discussion is focusing on caliber more so than the tool that delivers it. An interesting point of view none-the-less. I think there might be more examples of being under powered being brought to our attention than anything else. But, I do recall many stories of how people were killed with the same calibers as those listed here that some would digard as man stoppers. Even the news media here has weekly stories of how victims have survived multiple 9mm shots.

CCW instructors, as well as other defensive weapon instructors, give advice as to how an assailant should be taken down with your concealed weapon, and caliber is not a part of their discussion.

No doubt, I'm in favor of bigger is better, and I love my 45...whether it is a SAA or 1911 type (I have both and I'll carry the SW1911PD when ever I can). But, I most often have to carry .380 auto's because they are the easiest to conceal. And I believe that's why so many carry under powered weapons.

So, what's the answer Confused
Keep it coming...
Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

George,

Thing is caliber probably plays a bigger role then the firearm I think. Sort of like Hunting rifles most are more or less the same in dependabilty but that doesnt mean a Bolt action rifle in 223 will be as effective on a grizzly as a bolt action in 30-06 for example Smile

You need the right tool for the job and with firearms its you need the right caliber for the job. Cool

Dimitri

george20042007

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

Right again Dimitri. But, it seems as though the bigger is better crowd may give up the larger caliber just to have something that can be concealed. I know that because I am one of them. I just can't carry every where the caliber I really want to because I can't hide it's signature.
That's the problem until the cooler months come around when I can where the right kind of clothing.
Keep it coming...
Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

George,

Sometimes a big pistol isnt practical, so you use a smaller caliber pistol to suit the need. Smile

Mind you there are ways around going to a smaller caliber like getting a ParaOrd Slim Warthog. 6 Round magazine (single stack) and the smallest 45ACP out there (I belive). Stainless Steel, 6.5" long, 4.5" tall and only 30oz. Smile They even have "regular" double stack 10 round magazine versions of the Warthog too. Shocked

www.paraord.com/produc...html?id=76

PS. I dont think in Arizona I'd ever wear a jacket or thick clothing, probably fall/spring weather for me even in the coldest part of the winter. Very Happy

Dimitri

george20042007

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

Dimitri, it's still hard to beat the KelTec P3AT in 380 auto for concealed carry. It weighs 11.1 oz. with 7 rounds loaded. The only concern would be whether it has adequate stopping power.
Keep it coming...
Dimitri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

George,

Not saying the ParaOrd is better, just showing off the smallest 45ACP pistol out there Wink

I like the KelTec SU16 rifles but I think they are restricted here and I never got my restricted license. Mad

Dimitri

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

george20042007 wrote:
I'm beginning to see this discussion is focusing on caliber more so than the tool that delivers it. An interesting point of view none-the-less.

So, what's the answer Confused
Keep it coming...

George old mate, you are may right in thinking that caliber is uppermost in most people's minds when buying a pistol, but I think that most would put very similar thoughts into buying a pistol as they do a car....

1. What brand of car would I like?
2. What is the intended use of the car?
3. What sort of power (engine) do I need to do the job..V8, 6, 4 cyl, diesel
4. Do I need a 2 door, 4 door or small bus or truck for my needs?
5. Can I customise it to make it better for me?

I believe that the same questions are applied when buying a pistol...
Brand, Use, Caliber (power), Size, Personal touch.

So, what is the answer? Confused Everyone will have a different answer because each will have a slightly different use for the tool they are purchasing.

Just wish we were allowed to have a CCW here in Australia. Crying or Very sad

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
george20042007

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

Vince you make an interesting point. But, I think people make physical size more important than caliber when it comes to conceal-ability.

I too wish you could have laws in your country that would allow you to carry concealed for your own protection. I could only hope that the law makers in your country could see the sense in having laws enabling their citizens to be on par with those who don't abide by the law. It sure does make it easy for criminals to have their way. Wouldn't it be something if it were the law makers to become victims of law breakers.

I hate to see governments that won't listen to what their citizens want. What a topic, but, this isn't the thread to take that topic further.
Keep it coming...
tracker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

Dmitri, I definitely need more information on that Utah ccw permit. Y'know being in Manitoba and all, any other states you know of that do that ? In terms of caliber, the old expression about the .22 that hits the mark being better than the .44 that misses comes to mind, but to me that just means get yer butt out there and practice with yer .44.

Friend of my Dad's had a nice 1911 .45ACP when I was a kid and I've had good "reports" on both the ParaOrd and the Colt Commander for a smaller .45

Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

Tracker,

They have Utah teaching sessons in Canada! Dont even have to go to Utah to get the permit! You could carry in 28 states with that one permit! Very Happy

I'm too young to do it (need to be 21) Sad

Email them and ask if they are going to do one in Manitoba Wink They did one in Ontario in September I think and a few Canadians on other boards went to it and got there license just now in the mail so it is "real" if thats what your wondering. Very Happy

Dimitri

george20042007

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

Hang in there Dimitri, your day is coming (21st birthday). By the way, when will that be? Andif your planning to get a ccw permit, I hope this thread has been of some value to you Smile
Keep it coming...
Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

George,

I'm in Canada and will probably still be in Canada when I turn 21 so I'll probably get a Utah permit just for fun. Laughing

But this thread was helpful incase I ever do go to the US and carry. Cool

I'm 19 now, I've got to wait till September 2008 to turn 21. I'm a younging. Very Happy :-D Very Happy

Dimitri

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

Just a baby.. Smile ..(sometimes I wish I was.. Sad ..Then again.. Very Happy ..look out girls.. Very Happy ..)

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
glockman55

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Weaponry for CCW Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
George,

I'm in Canada and will probably still be in Canada when I turn 21 so I'll probably get a Utah permit just for fun. Laughing

But this thread was helpful incase I ever do go to the US and carry. Cool

I'm 19 now, I've got to wait till September 2008 to turn 21. I'm a younging. Very Happy :-D Very Happy

Dimitri

Dimitri, It's OK for you to get a CCW permit for the U.S. even though your a Canadian? That's Great. How can you carry from Canada to the U.S.? I know they are very strict on their gun laws, just wondering how that works.
19 wow, I would have guessed you to be older. You seem pretty level headed for your age. Someone did something right when raising you, I was just thinking of the things I have that are over 19 years old...Way too many to list. LOL Hang in there for your permit. I carry a Glock mod. 23..in 40 cal. Love It.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 4 of 11