Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Cold aging?
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squirrelbait

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Cold aging? Reply with quote

She says the smell gags her??????
Got me, it's the best........ with carrots, and any kind of meat..........
or by itself. Used to just throw that and potatoes on the table sometimes when I was a single dad....loved it.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Cold aging? Reply with quote

Boiled Cabbage, Mashed Potatoes, and some sort of meat (like Deer to keep it on topic) makes a good meal Very Happy

Dimitri

Spacedone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cold aging? Reply with quote

boiled cabbage is just sick!

i grew up and everyone aged there deer. i thought about it when i got to be a adult and realized aged meat is rotted meat. you hang it until it starts to rot and hopefully take it down before the rotted taste sets in.

the english used to hang pheasants by the neck until the body dropped off.

you wont buy old meat from the supermarket but you will rot your own deer.

isnt there something just wrong with that?
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold aging? Reply with quote

Hey Einstien...(Spacedone)

Beef bought in stores is "aged" waaaaay more, due to the simple logistics of Meat Processing In Massive Quantities......than the 5 to 7 days suggested here.....for cooled venison.

You think ANYTHING you buy in a supermarket is Fresh..?

Am thinkin' I've encountered your "perspective" before.......and let you know what I thought of it.
Spacedone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold aging? Reply with quote

i worked for national beef. we killed 1000 head of cattle a day, hung the cattle skinned it , cut it up,packaged it and shipped it the same day under less than 40 degree temps, it was then flash frozen and shipped at temps under freezing. it was transported frozen to supermarkets world wide and was never ever allowed to taw above freezing. once in the markets it is kept frozen until it is cut up and put in the store coolers {if its not put out that day i dont buy it}.

any meat kept above freezing starts rotting. even frozen meats has a shelf life before it goes bad. living bodies have lots of bacteria in them. which freezing kills or makes dormant, once the body dies the bacteria starts growing breaking down the proteins.

i then worked 10 years as a paramedic and averaged hauling 8-10 people a year to the hospital for food poisoning from eating badly kept meat.

aged meat IS rotted meat.
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold aging? Reply with quote

Tuff to beat those "beef credentials".........

Am thinkin' if too many nitts are picked over "rotten" meat.....we could starve to death.

Venison...5 days...head down....hide on....below 42 degrees....then properly handled/processed....won't make a soul sick.

Unless you fear your food..................

Heard once that Indians and Mountainmen usta once in a while age it right down to something called "Jerky"....IIRC.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold aging? Reply with quote

Wildwalker,

Jerky isnt "Aged" its dehydrated over a small fire, or you can do it in your oven for a few hours at 100F I think (my memory is faded alittle). Smile

Fur traders in Canada would mix barries and the like into the meat when they dried it (like the Natives showed them) and it was a healthy snack they could eat all winter without it spoiling Smile

Dimitri

moose2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold aging? Reply with quote

Like alot of folks, I have always aged my deer for at least a week, weather permitting. Always hung head down. MikeK has hit the nail on the head. The aging process does breakdown the fibers and makes the meat alittle more tender. I wouldn't let anyone else process my game but myself. God only knows what goes on in those places.--tr

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Cold aging? Reply with quote

We hang our deer carcass, hide on, overnight only in a closed shed. The area we hunt is pretty cold so spoiling isn't a problem. We drag our miserable butts outa bed before sunrise and start the butchering. Never had a problem yet. To be honest I've never considered "aging" the meat to tenderise it......food for thought though. I usually "rest" the meat for a bit after cooking and that seems to help with tenderising a little.

squirrelbait wrote:
Dimitri, ya gota know. There are only two things my said she would refuse to cook.......liver and boiled cabbage Crying or Very sad

Gidday squirrelbait. There are some things I would crawl a mile over broken glass to have a bit of and Braised Cabbage with Corned Beef (Corned Silverside) and a mix of mashed potato and sweet potato is one of them....... Very Happy Very Happy . The way my wife cooks the Braised Cabbage is easy and great. She finely chops some bacon rashers (enough for taste) and onion then lightly fries it in a pan. She then shreds the cabbage, puts a little water in the pan with the bacon and onion then adds the cabbage and cooks it till the cabbage is tender. Add a little water when cooking if necessary. Make a nice white sauce for the meat too.
Mate....this is to die for, you have to try it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

As for liver...UUUGGGGHHHHH...that and kidney, its OFFAL !!!
Mum used to make a liver and bacon dish for Dad for breakfast and he loved it. She called it Lambs Fry (liver) and Bacon. It was fried in a frying pan and braised in a thick gravy. I liked the gravy on toast but couldn't come at the liver. The texture of the liver would make me gag. As for kidney...not a chance in hell would I eat that stuff..uuuggghhhhh, BLERRRK!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Cold aging? Reply with quote

Vince,

I've noticed most people dont like Kidney or Liver in my life. Some of them after me telling them I like the stuff even started to feel like they were going to vomit Confused The thought of someone eating it was so "discusting" according to them Very Happy

Also Vince, your mother seems to have plenty of unique recipes. Surprised

Dimitri

Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold aging? Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
Wildwalker,

Jerky isnt "Aged" its dehydrated over a small fire, or you can do it in your oven for a few hours at 100F I think (my memory is faded alittle). Smile

Fur traders in Canada would mix barries and the like into the meat when they dried it (like the Natives showed them) and it was a healthy snack they could eat all winter without it spoiling Smile

Dimitri

Was refering whole heartedly to the period of time predating the Cabelas Catalog full of "food processing gadgets".......

Back in the day, red meat...and fish...were dried on wooden racks in the sunlight or on warm rock surfaces (by "the Natives"). A small fire was used more for the purposes of smoking.................

My point is reiforced by your own words...."it was a healthy snack they could eat all winter without it spoiling".

If meat can be dehydrated/dried/jerked/....and I called it sarcastically..."aged" into a healthy unspoiled food proven from centuries of use, how can Einstien claim it to be rotten after only a few days hung in a cold house......?? Our digestive system is capable of compensating for what he fears.......................

Am betting if he only knew what lurked in his wall to wall carpet...he'd rip it out and buy some Pine Sol..........................
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold aging? Reply with quote

wildswalker,

It was made over the fire as far as I learnt, fur trading is a big part of history in school here and I'm pretty sure they made it over a fire slightly away from it as to not cook it like you would normally Smile

Dimitri

Spacedone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold aging? Reply with quote

your ignorance doesnt beat my facts.

ignorance kills more people a year than everything else put together.
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold aging? Reply with quote

Quote::
"In South America, where there has been a plentitude of meat for hundreds of years, simple drying traditions survive, at least among the poor. The Native Americans on the arid southern borderlands sun-dried venison and buffalo, and one can still find dried beef in the form of tassajo, which is made with strips of meat dipped in maize flour, dried in the hot sun and wind, then tightly rolled up into balls to be carried easily on journeys. The modern American jerked beef" is derived from thin slices of air-dried meat called "charqui." This originated in Peru and was used to preserve excess game after large hunts, though later beef was more usually used. Charqui, a vital food for the western pioneers, was often broken up and crushed between large stones and then boiled before eating."
---Pickled, Potted and Canned: How the Art and Science of Food Preserving Changed the World, Sue Shepard [Simon & Schuster:New York] 2000 (p. 34)

"Jerky...Beef that has been cut thin and dried in the sun. The word comes from the Spanish charqui', which appears in English in 1700 as a verb, jerk' than as a noun in the nineteenth century. Jerky, in the form of pemmican, was a staple food among the native Americans on the plains. It is very rich in protein and may be cooked in a soup or smoked, but more commonly it is sold as a meat snack' in the form of a thin stick sold at convenience stores and bars. In Hawaii, jerky is referred to a pipikaula."
---Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink, John F. Mariani [Lebhar-Friedman:New York] 1999 (p. 171)

That took a total of Two Seconds to google up...........

What was it you were saying about "aged" meat....it's bad for you?

Sun and or air dried is pretty well aged...ain't it? I believe it is refered to in that quote somewhere as being a "staple".......

Mmmmmmmmmm........................
PaulS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold aging? Reply with quote

Jerky will only keep, if it is kept dry - add water and the process of rotting starts up. Lots of people get sick from poorly prepared or stored jerky. It is salted to preserve it and to keep it dry. It was and is a great way to add salt and meet to a diet of beans and bread. The native Americans added the berries not so much for flavor as for the acids in the berries. That kept the meat from spoiling too. In the Pacific North-west the natives dried salmon, trout and about everything the could. That was what Lewis and Clark had to eat when they ran out of dog meat (that they traded the natives for.) Some of the party did get sick from eating the fish and dried meat. They (Lewis and Clark party) didn't know how to keep it dry while travelling down the Columbia and Snake rivers.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 2 of 3