· Views: 344906
  · Votes: 1306
  · Comments: 85

Support our Advertisers

Cheap slug guns
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil Martin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Cheap slug guns Reply with quote

Pennsylvania has extensive deer hunting areas where rifles are permitted and other zones that are restricted to shotguns, bows or muzzleloaders. I have muzzleloaders and a compound bow. What I needed to hunt some of these populated but deer rich areas was a slug gun.

The hang tag prices of some new rifled-barrel slug guns gave me chest pains. The used gun market was the obvious choice. A favorite gun shop sold a vintage (read older) Remington 870 12 gauge with a corncob forend and gorgeous stock for $100. It was topped off with a B-Square saddle mount and a 2 1/2X scope. Out to 75 yards, this rig will get the job done. That is adequate for my requirements since many deer are taken at 50 yards.

Yesterday, the same gun shop sold me a classic (also older) 16 gauge Remington 870 also with a corncob forend and lovely stock for $100. I asked why it was so cheap and the answer is it did not have choke tubes. Now I may be able to set up another slug gun for my nephew. It does not have to be expensive to get a slug gun. Anyone else cobble up a slug gun? All the best...
Gil

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap slug guns Reply with quote

Howdy Gil. I hunted pa for almost 25 years and hunted chester co for a lot of them i have had many slug guns. I think my favorite was a ithica deerslayer one nice slug gun there not that cheap though. Right now i have two barrels for the 1100. But i prefer to have a shot gun set up for slugs only. Im looking for another 1100 for that purpose now. I live in ne md and i don't think it's going to be to long before they make my county shotgun ( i hope not) but i have done quite a bit of sluggin so i will live through it if they do. Some of the mossberg 500s can be gotin pretty cheap and with the rifled barrel are fairly accurate. I like semis though so i will look for another 100 and have it drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Flint54

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap slug guns Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes My cheap slug gun cost me $35.00 total! I picked up an H&R Topper in 12ga at a garage sale. I had some Williams sights and some JB Weld that I put them on with 9 years ago then with a bit of spray paint for the finish and sighting it in I was all set. It may thump the shoulder a bit but its a joy to carry all day. It shoots @ 3" at 50yds & I am able to hit a paper plate with no trouble at 75yds. It has put quite a bit of venison on the table without a loss. Don't underestimate the raw power of a slug. Exclamation
grimel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap slug guns Reply with quote

I have a Mossberg 500 combo (28" mod, 24" smooth slug) for cheap (amazing what $130 can buy). It collects dust seeing how I have a Beretta 1200 auto (and am looking for a Browning A-5).

Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Gil Martin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: shrpshtrjoe Reply with quote

I grew up in Chester County, PA. Do you recall where you hunted? All the best...
Gil

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap slug guns Reply with quote

Howdy Gil. I hunted all over chester co. Near kaolin witch the area is now a golf course. New london, in london grove twnshp, west grove and avondale area( lived in avondale for 16 years) Hunted a real good orchard out back of the long wood area off of rt 926 then some guys came in and leased it and lost it Sad . Much of the land i hunted is now developed. The white clay creek preserve is still there for archery and muzzleloader. If i found a good spot again i would get my nonresident again. We also had a good spot in Bedford Co and it got sold Sad so hard to find spots anymore. I have a good one here in Md i can walk out my door and be in a stand in 5 mins Very Happy and there is only 2 of us that hunt it. I miss the runs to up state pa for deer and turkey. I have probably hunted in half the counties of Pa. Good ol days Smile

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
MOX-CT
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap slug guns Reply with quote

I would like to suggest the Ultra Slug Hunter by H&R 1871, it's a single shot with an extra heavy rifled barrel and a Weaver rail for a scope. I'm guessing they are about $180. I have 4 of them, two in 20 gage and two in 12 gage. They all shoot 3 inch patterns at 100 yards using Federal Sabots 1-1/8 ounces. Here is the website: www.hr1871.com/firearm...&subcat=17

Coalition of CT Sportsmen member
Northeast Big Buck Member
Buckmaster Member
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap slug guns Reply with quote

Welcome to the site Mox-CT
MOX-CT
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap slug guns Reply with quote

Thanks

Buckmaster Member
Knifeboy

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap slug guns Reply with quote

I have never shot a slug. That is unheard of out here in Arizona.
I would really like to hunt deer with a shotgun slug out east. I will have to try and set that up sometime.

Knifeboy

MOX-CT
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap slug guns Reply with quote

Knifeboy, and like you I would like to do some long distance shooting/hunting. I did go to Wyoming once but concentrated on Mule Deer and Antelope. That was great, but I keep hearing about Praire Dogs and Coyote/Bob Cats. WOW Very Happy

Buckmaster Member
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 1