No staff members are online!

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one?
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:
..... black powder is completely new to me and Im making it harder by making it myself...

Increase your life insurance policy!

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Elvis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

poked a weighed 45grains B.P. in case,tetrapack spacer,slice of earplug,topped off with 395grn hollow base cast...will see what happens when trigger is pulled. no air space in case...

pete4d

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

If we hear from you again, I guess it all worked out . Cheers Laughing

All kidding aside , that should be a good starting load , you may want to stay away from the foam type wad as they may melt in the barrel , try and use some material that will burn,,,,,, just my thoughts on matter. Cheers

When the SHTF I'm gonna hunker down until all those idiots kill each other. up-date

The secret to enjoying life is to never take it too seriously, as you will never make it out alive!

I'm on the watch list are you ?
slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

Elvis, are you still there?!?!

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
inthedark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

some of the old timers who shot black powder actually use corn meal or creme of wheat as filler in their cartridges. They keep the loads upright and then load singly at the range.

War is sweet to those who have no experience of it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach - Pindar 518-438 BC

Be Copy now of Men of Grosser Blood and TEACH THEM HOW TO WAR
pete4d

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

inthedark wrote:
some of the old timers who shot black powder actually use corn meal or creme of wheat as filler in their cartridges. They keep the loads upright and then load singly at the range.

In some of my deduced loads of the 303 .I use grits ,boy it smells good on every shot......mmmmmm Cheers Popcorn Cheers

When the SHTF I'm gonna hunker down until all those idiots kill each other. up-date

The secret to enjoying life is to never take it too seriously, as you will never make it out alive!

Elvis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

yip still in one piece...still waiting patiently.

Elvis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

well it goes bang and big hunk of lead flies out end and puts big holes in things... the 45grn BP load was very mild...sort of like a 2 1/2" .410 load...the 45grns of 2208 on the other hand starts to have a tad of check slap.... we manages to put holes in 8" square we were pointing it towards at 30-40 yards which it all I hoped for at beginning....didnt try to get fancy of shoot a group...might do that later,today was about making sure it was safe and worked...am I happy??? very much so.

pete4d

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

. Cheers Sounds good , now you can start working up , the right load . Have a good day . pete

gemihur

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

Do you guys get IMR Trail Boss down there?
It has gained great popularity in the resurgence of Cowboy Action Shooting here in the states.
A very light an fluffy powder designed to be very volumetric. It fills a case and doesn't weigh diddly! I put only 13.0 grains of the stuff in a 45-70 case to fill it and seat a cast 340 gr. bullet from the Lee mold 457-340-F and it shoot like your holding a .410 shotgun!
It is an easy solution to the shoulder punishing outcome that usually results from the use of my 45-70. note: Do not compress Trail Boss... leave room in the brass to accommodate the bullet seating.
Try it, you'll like it!
inthedark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

pete4d wrote:
inthedark wrote:

In some of my deduced loads of the 303 .I use grits ,boy it smells good on every shot......mmmmmm Cheers Popcorn Cheers
What I would give to be able to get grits in Canada. None of the stores carry them. You can get ground corn but no grits.

War is sweet to those who have no experience of it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach - Pindar 518-438 BC

Be Copy now of Men of Grosser Blood and TEACH THEM HOW TO WAR
English Mike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

gemihur wrote:
It has gained great popularity in the resurgence of Cowboy Action Shooting here in the states.
A very light an fluffy powder designed to be very volumetric. It fills a case and doesn't weigh diddly! I put only 13.0 grains of the stuff in a 45-70 case to fill it and seat a cast 340 gr. bullet from the Lee mold 457-340-F and it shoot like your holding a .410 shotgun!
It is an easy solution to the shoulder punishing outcome that usually results from the use of my 45-70. note: Do not compress Trail Boss... leave room in the brass to accommodate the bullet seating.
Try it, you'll like it!

Hmm. Might have to look at that for my .38spl plinking loads. Never been all that happy with 10% filled cases using slower powders.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

English Mike wrote:
gemihur wrote:
Try it, you'll like it!

Hmm. Might have to look at that for my .38spl plinking loads. Never been all that happy with 10% filled cases using slower powders.

Have a look at Bullseye mate...I used to load 2.8gr or 3 gr in my .357 cases from memory.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

gemihur wrote:
Try it, you'll like it!

revive thread time.
interesting thing about trailboss loads in the big case....pressures using TB are HIGHER than some of the smokeless loads for same velocity.

Ive managed to knock over a few wallabies using this rifle and sorted some better sights for her.
also sorted a really good duplex load...7 grns smokeless (2219) with 50 grns of homerolled blackpowder ontop and the 400grn cast projectile on top... goes bang nicely ,MUCH MUCH cleaner than straight HRBP,slightly less recoil than the 45grns of 2208.... and cheap as chips.
still havent managed a deer with it yet....plenty of time .

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

.45-70? Those wallabies must be hard to kill.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 6 of 7