Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824166
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

ATI Road Agent
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stovepipe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: ATI Road Agent Reply with quote

My new custom upland gun.

Long pop guns don't work here. The birds and small game here live in brutal scrub, cat-claw and are well educated (I've seen to that!). Toss in ravines, rocks, climbs, steeps, etc.- you get it. Ya need something feather light and super-fast for snap shooting.

Enter the Road Agent. Custom made for the job.

12ga, 5.3 pounds, 18.5" tubes, 5 screw in Benelli chokes, nice butt pad (recoil is horrific!), auto-cock hammers on opening, and something unique to a shotgun: A de-cocker. Yup- flip the safety lever down and the hammers drop- off the pins. No need to un-load for ravines, fences etc. After you cross jsut pull the hammers back one click, ready to go. Beautiful piece too. Rubbed Turkish Walnut, matte oxide finish on the tubes, laser etchings on the alloy receiver.

I load the left tube with #7-1/2 using an IC choke, and the right tube with #6 and a MOD choke. It patters well with Federal and Winny game loads, tight for the gauge, too. It's very devastating stuff in a very small package. Rabbits get rolled HARD. I also carry #3 steel waterfowl loads in my pocket for yote's. 2 have seen the light from aprox 40y- right in the boiler room, they got rolled good and didn't get back up. We have a serious problem with lots of large yote's this year. I called two in with my quail call. BAVOOM! with the waterfowl loads. Gone. Hope they pass the word around their campfire- "hey, don't come in on quail anymore!!! Joe got smoked!"... and maybe I can break them of their quail habit.

Steel waterfowl loads in this thing? The recoil is off the charts.

Been out 3 times this season since opener on the 6th. Been jumping nice bunches of Gambles but they are just too quick and seem to put something thick and tall between them and my gun every time. Then, they disappear over a cliff etc. Won't be long til I find a dim-witted straggler- then it's pop! In the bag. They are chatty and responding to calls, though. That's the fun part for me. "chi-CAA-co"!

Super nice piece. Super happy. Tailor made for my area and useage.

20171019_163020.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  167.43 KB
 Viewed:  4881 Time(s)

20171019_163020.jpg

20171019_162915.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  163.75 KB
 Viewed:  4882 Time(s)

20171019_162915.jpg

20171019_163056 (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  126.51 KB
 Viewed:  4883 Time(s)

20171019_163056 (1).jpg

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ATI Road Agent Reply with quote

Looks good Stovey...a real neat looking coach gun. I really like the decock feature as well. Them little buzzy buggers will slip up and scream across in front of you one day mate and I’m really looking forward to the outcome.

Check out the Recipe Section mate...you should be happy.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
slimjim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ATI Road Agent Reply with quote

What a beauty, stovey!

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Aloysius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: ATI Road Agent Reply with quote

Now you're getting somewhere. HOw do you plan to shoot it? Carry it decocked and cock 1 hammer while you start aiming and cock the 2nd after shooting the first?
Or are you going to carry that rifle cocked and ready to shoot?

I like these old belgian doubles very much. They don't have a decock system nor screw-in-chokes, but they are so sweet.
And they are even more fun when you start reloading your own using black powder (or Pyrodex). The same volume BP and shot. For wad you go searching at your local clay-range for plactic wads (for long shots). For short distances you use 3 or 4 pieces of toiletpaper (depending on what you need to fill up the cartridge).
Don't use the toiletpaper wad when environment is dry and could easely catch fire... I know where I'm talking about...
did I mention to use clean toiletpaper, not the recycled stuff? Smile

Stovey, I get the impression that when you cock your shotgun, you don't see the hammers anymore, is that right? I love that vew over the barrel between the ears of the hammer. It's a good aiming aid and now for your gun they removed the 'ears'???
stovepipe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ATI Road Agent Reply with quote

Got my arse handed to me today, Vinny. Pot will be empty again tonight. My new spot dried up fast. Time to move on. I have a few new spots in mind and the season is young so...when quail hunting is good it's GREAT. When it's slow or zilch, it's pretty tough with nuttin' ta show for it but thorns in yer pants and worn out boots! But I've been doing this a long time and know the drill. And when yer on the birds, it's even sweeter after a dry spell.

Tanks Slimmers!

Aloy- I don't like "rabbit ears" in my view. I love the low profile, auto-cocking hammers. No sight blockage. The center rib is also 'dished' like a sight window and the bead lines up in it like an express sight on a double rifle. Pretty cool features all over that gun.

I carry hammers back, safety off, finger indexed out of trigger guard. Crossing fences or ditches (read canyons lol) I drop the hammers with the decocker. After crossing, pull back one click on each and I'm ready to go again. Killer little gun.

And the yote's were at it again...just after sun up, across the gorge...yip-yip-yeeep! Time for a night hunt. Need to smoke some more of those.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ATI Road Agent Reply with quote

Stovey, in my mind any hunt is a good hunt, and even better if you bring home the meat. So, enjoy your ‘strolls’ through the oolloo and take the opportunity to learn something new about them little buggers every time you go out mate.

I do like the sound of your new gun mate...I reckon it would be deadly up close.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 1