HuntingNut
HuntingNut
   Login or Register
HomeCommunity ForumsPhoto AlbumsRegister
     
 

User Info

Welcome Anonymous


Membership:
Latest: cav2108
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 12623

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 250
BOT: 1
Total: 251
Who Is Where:
 Visitors:
01: Forums
02: Photo Albums
03: Forums
04: Your Account
05: Forums
06: Forums
07: Forums
08: Forums
09: Forums
10: Forums
11: Forums
12: Forums
13: Forums
14: Forums
15: Your Account
16: Forums
17: Forums
18: Forums
19: Forums
20: Forums
21: Forums
22: Photo Albums
23: Your Account
24: Forums
25: Your Account
26: Forums
27: Forums
28: Forums
29: Forums
30: Forums
31: Forums
32: Forums
33: Forums
34: Your Account
35: Photo Albums
36: Forums
37: Photo Albums
38: Forums
39: Forums
40: Forums
41: Forums
42: Forums
43: Forums
44: Forums
45: Forums
46: Forums
47: Forums
48: Your Account
49: Photo Albums
50: Forums
51: Your Account
52: Your Account
53: Forums
54: Forums
55: Forums
56: Forums
57: Forums
58: Forums
59: Forums
60: Forums
61: Forums
62: Forums
63: Forums
64: Forums
65: Your Account
66: Forums
67: Forums
68: Forums
69: Forums
70: Forums
71: Forums
72: Your Account
73: Forums
74: Forums
75: Forums
76: Forums
77: Forums
78: Forums
79: Forums
80: Forums
81: Forums
82: Forums
83: Home
84: Your Account
85: Forums
86: Your Account
87: Forums
88: Forums
89: Your Account
90: Forums
91: Your Account
92: Forums
93: Your Account
94: Your Account
95: Forums
96: Forums
97: Forums
98: Forums
99: Forums
100: Forums
101: Forums
102: Forums
103: Photo Albums
104: Forums
105: Forums
106: Forums
107: Forums
108: Forums
109: Photo Albums
110: Forums
111: Your Account
112: Forums
113: Photo Albums
114: Forums
115: Forums
116: Forums
117: Forums
118: Your Account
119: Forums
120: Forums
121: Forums
122: Forums
123: Forums
124: Photo Albums
125: Forums
126: PointBlank Ballistics
127: Forums
128: Your Account
129: Forums
130: Forums
131: Forums
132: Forums
133: Forums
134: Photo Albums
135: Forums
136: Forums
137: Home
138: Forums
139: Forums
140: Your Account
141: Forums
142: Your Account
143: Statistics
144: Forums
145: Forums
146: Your Account
147: Forums
148: Forums
149: Forums
150: Forums
151: Your Account
152: Forums
153: Forums
154: Forums
155: Photo Albums
156: Forums
157: Forums
158: Forums
159: Forums
160: Photo Albums
161: Home
162: Photo Albums
163: Forums
164: Forums
165: Forums
166: Photo Albums
167: Forums
168: Forums
169: Forums
170: Photo Albums
171: Forums
172: Forums
173: Forums
174: Forums
175: Your Account
176: Photo Albums
177: Photo Albums
178: Forums
179: Forums
180: Forums
181: Your Account
182: Forums
183: Forums
184: Your Account
185: Your Account
186: Forums
187: Forums
188: Forums
189: Your Account
190: Forums
191: Photo Albums
192: Forums
193: Your Account
194: Forums
195: Home
196: Photo Albums
197: Your Account
198: Photo Albums
199: Forums
200: Your Account
201: Forums
202: Your Account
203: Forums
204: Forums
205: Forums
206: Forums
207: Your Account
208: Photo Albums
209: Forums
210: Forums
211: Forums
212: Your Account
213: Forums
214: Photo Albums
215: Your Account
216: Forums
217: Forums
218: Forums
219: Forums
220: Forums
221: Home
222: Forums
223: Forums
224: Your Account
225: Forums
226: Your Account
227: Photo Albums
228: Forums
229: Forums
230: Forums
231: Forums
232: Forums
233: Photo Albums
234: Forums
235: Forums
236: Forums
237: Forums
238: Home
239: Forums
240: Forums
241: Forums
242: Home
243: Forums
244: Forums
245: Your Account
246: Forums
247: Forums
248: Forums
249: Forums
250: Forums
  BOT:
01: Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
 

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 305
 Pictures: 2361
  · Views: 449358
  · Votes: 1310
  · Comments: 86
 

Support our Advertisers

Killer Quail...
Small Game hunting related discussion
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Small Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
stovepipe
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Sep 25, 2008
Posts: 4877
Location: Pine, Az.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Killer Quail... Reply with quote

Another killer "workout". Laughing

My partner and I covered at least 9 miles, climbed/descended several thousand feet/dozens of gorges/canyons in really steep stuff covered in moon rocks (basalt baby-heads), thorny veg, etc. Both of us took a spill at some point- bent wrist, twisted knee, I got a thorn under my right index fingernail ( Shocked Mad !!!!!).

Fun stuff! Smile

We bumped some birds, but the terrain/vegetation was in the way...so yeh, there's that. But, the short gun's are REALLY paying off on these scramble fests. I think a shot PISTOL would be even better!

Been a lean year. Not giving up. We are going were no uplander's gone before! We will get some, sooner than later. Our feet and legs are like steel now. We can go all day on a small bottle of water and a candy bar in truly horrific terrain.

The odd's are narrowing, and time is running out for the little grey ghosts.



img_20151129_135120130a~2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  198.29 KB
 Viewed:  3396 Time(s)

img_20151129_135120130a~2.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile
lesterg3
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Nov 30, 2008
Posts: 1327
Location: Dixie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Killer Quail... Reply with quote

Speaking of quail, a couple of months ago I took the back road to town, to release another critter that I had trapped well away from the house, and for the first time I saw some quail on the roadside, must have been a dozen or more. This was the first time I have ever seen quail here in Dixie, saw lots as as young man in California, but never here before.

Sorry you didn't get any stovepipe, but I'm sure you'll make up for it.

_________________
"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. "--Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."--James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail Photo Gallery
stovepipe
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Sep 25, 2008
Posts: 4877
Location: Pine, Az.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Killer Quail... Reply with quote

Ya shoulda slayed 'em, Lester! Laughing

Thanks bud, no worries. Still got some elk 'n stuff in the fridge a buddy gave me (out of pitty cuz I've yet a bring home something in the bag! Laughing ).

Tell ya what, the Professor (my hunting buddy and yes, he IS a rocket scientist) is really on to something with the whole short gun thing up here. Elvira only had a 24" tube but it seemed like a goose gun in the tight stuff. Just gota be a little extra careful, it's easy to end up looking down yer own muzzle if you are not careful. I keep my bolt cracked open (see pic) at all times- this trips the dis-connector so it can't go off. If we see something I can rack it closed in a blink. The Professor is 6'4", wears TALL snake boots and carries that little coach gun, all old school green clothing with a red vest and cap. It's a sight to behold, like something out of a Gator movie! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile
Pumpkinslinger
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Sep 22, 2007
Posts: 4490
Location: NC foothills

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Killer Quail... Reply with quote

Les, I remember a fair number of quail when I was growing up. I think habitat loss, feral cats and maybe coyotes put a real hurting on the population.

_________________
Mike

"I ain't no better than anyone else, and there ain't no one better than me!" Ma Kettle

Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 7538
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Killer Quail... Reply with quote

Stovie...I think its time you took skillet and gas cooker with you...spark up cooker and heat skillet, add some butter and with luck a quail will take pity on you and join you for lunch!!!!!!

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
Aloysius
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Nov 03, 2009
Posts: 2133
Location: B., Belgium

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Killer Quail... Reply with quote

Pumpkinslinger wrote:
Les, I remember a fair number of quail when I was growing up. I think habitat loss, feral cats and maybe coyotes put a real hurting on the population.

I"m pretty sure not Stovey caused that... Smile
Back to top
View user's profile
dhc4ever
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 26, 2011
Posts: 2360
Location: Ipswich, Queensland Australia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Killer Quail... Reply with quote

Take a brace and a first aid kit with the cooker.

_________________
Pete

Dont do anything you wont like explaining to the paramedics..............
Back to top
View user's profile
lesterg3
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Nov 30, 2008
Posts: 1327
Location: Dixie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Killer Quail... Reply with quote

As for slaying them, first I did not have a shotgun with me, I was out to release a monster skunk that was living under the house that I had trapped. No, I didn't get sprayed. Secondly, this is the first time in 20 years of living and hunting in Dixie that I have seen quail, even with a gun I probably would not have shot, I may not have much time left but if I do I would much rather the quail become a nuisance before I start hunting them.

One of the things I am doing on this land is trying to manage the forest and pastures. and plant forage for the native animals that are here now as well as those that have become rare. I only harvest what is plentiful, and only when I need it.

I did see what I thought was a partridge two years ago and contacted the SC DNR to question and alert them. I didn't expect to see anything like this here in Dixie and it scared the crap out of me when it exploded from the field. The SC DNR came out and set up cameras and caught a couple of pictures of what I saw. They said it was ruffed grouse that should not be in my area, that they are known only to exist in the far northwestern regions of SC above 2000 feet (I'm at 450 feet), and are becoming very rare. Since then what I initially saw has become three small flocks (I am guessing 10 to 20 birds total, and I am thrilled every time I see them). They absolutely love the millet I planted. The SC DNR wants access to monitor them, I said no. As far as I am concerned they need their privacy.

I am not sure what a grouse tastes like, but they look like partridge to me and I suspect they taste great.

Quail are among the best tasting birds I have ever eaten and I would normally go well out of my way to get some, I could probably do 8 to 10 easy at a setting (not farm raised), followed closely by partridge, but I don't feel there is enough of a sustainable base to start harvesting them. I am not the only one trying to establish an improved environment here, hopefully for future generations of hunters, but also because God charged us to care for the earth and its creatures. Less than a 1/2 mile from my place there is a guy who has hundreds of acres who is in a stewardship agreement with the SC DNR and his land is amazing. The only problem is the traffic of a the DNR employees.

There is only one thing I love more than hunting and eating critters, and that is helping them to thrive.

_________________
"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. "--Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."--James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail Photo Gallery
stovepipe
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Sep 25, 2008
Posts: 4877
Location: Pine, Az.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Killer Quail... Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:
Stovie...I think its time you took skillet and gas cooker with you...spark up cooker and heat skillet, add some butter and with luck a quail will take pity on you and join you for lunch!!!!!!

Shocked

I wish!!!

Smile
Back to top
View user's profile
stovepipe
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Sep 25, 2008
Posts: 4877
Location: Pine, Az.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Killer Quail... Reply with quote

Aloysius wrote:
I"m pretty sure not Stovey caused that... Smile

Mad

Don;t make me come over there!!!
Back to top
View user's profile
stovepipe
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Sep 25, 2008
Posts: 4877
Location: Pine, Az.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Killer Quail... Reply with quote

lesterg3 wrote:
As for slaying them, first I did not have a shotgun with me, I was out to release a monster skunk that was living under the house that I had trapped. No, I didn't get sprayed. Secondly, this is the first time in 20 years of living and hunting in Dixie that I have seen quail, even with a gun I probably would not have shot, I may not have much time left but if I do I would much rather the quail become a nuisance before I start hunting them.

One of the things I am doing on this land is trying to manage the forest and pastures. and plant forage for the native animals that are here now as well as those that have become rare. I only harvest what is plentiful, and only when I need it.

I did see what I thought was a partridge two years ago and contacted the SC DNR to question and alert them. I didn't expect to see anything like this here in Dixie and it scared the crap out of me when it exploded from the field. The SC DNR came out and set up cameras and caught a couple of pictures of what I saw. They said it was ruffed grouse that should not be in my area, that they are known only to exist in the far northwestern regions of SC above 2000 feet (I'm at 450 feet), and are becoming very rare. Since then what I initially saw has become three small flocks (I am guessing 10 to 20 birds total, and I am thrilled every time I see them). They absolutely love the millet I planted. The SC DNR wants access to monitor them, I said no. As far as I am concerned they need their privacy.

I am not sure what a grouse tastes like, but they look like partridge to me and I suspect they taste great.

Quail are among the best tasting birds I have ever eaten and I would normally go well out of my way to get some, I could probably do 8 to 10 easy at a setting (not farm raised), followed closely by partridge, but I don't feel there is enough of a sustainable base to start harvesting them. I am not the only one trying to establish an improved environment here, hopefully for future generations of hunters, but also because God charged us to care for the earth and its creatures. Less than a 1/2 mile from my place there is a guy who has hundreds of acres who is in a stewardship agreement with the SC DNR and his land is amazing. The only problem is the traffic of a the DNR employees.

There is only one thing I love more than hunting and eating critters, and that is helping them to thrive.

Good points and a good cause.

Love it when folks say "those should not be there"...yeh, sometimes something gets dragged in that aint supposed to be there...but most of the time that's how bio-diversity happens. I love stumbling across something new. I didn't know we had Gambles on the Rim- it's 7300' up there, way too high for desert birds. Sure enuf, BRRRRRRRR! Busted a covey mountain biking. The birds travel MILES each day. Some hang out, come back to the same spots, some just keep on trucking.
Back to top
View user's profile
Aloysius
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Nov 03, 2009
Posts: 2133
Location: B., Belgium

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Killer Quail... Reply with quote

stovepipe wrote:
Aloysius wrote:
I"m pretty sure not Stovey caused that... Smile

Mad

Don;t make me come over there!!!

I still have a gun longer than yours... Smile


I think the longest smoothbore here in the house is the Marlin Goose Gun, just one to have, not one to use as it's not what I want for a sweet-pointing hunting gun.


@Lester: you're so right and they are so gratefull. I also see phaisants and hare from my kitchen, and lots of doves and ducks, even roedeer sometimes.
Back to top
View user's profile
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Small Game Hunting
Page 1 of 1
All times are GMT - 7 Hours



Jump to:  


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Advertisements
 


Valid CSS! Valid HTML 4.01!
Click to check if this page is realy HTML 4.01 compliant for speed :)

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of HuntingNut.com.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2011 by HuntingNut.com
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy

.: Upgraded to DragonFly 9.2 by Dizfunkshunal :.