Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

One Eye, Two Eyes
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElyBoy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: One Eye, Two Eyes Reply with quote

Hi Gang,
This is my first post on this forum.
I shoot with both eyes open. I was born with a poor right eye.
I have shot ATA Trap for many years, and pretty much live in the duck blind. I guess that I hit my targets OK.
On this one I agree with Bushmaster. I you worry about keeping one eye, or both eyes open, you are not giving 100% attention to your target. If you can hit what you aim at, don't worry about it.

NRA Life Member
Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: One Eye, Two Eyes Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! Howdy Hope you enjoy your stay Very Happy

As for worrying about both eyes open or not I myself dont do that. I just keep my eyes open without thinking. Not too used to closing a eye myself Smile

Dimitri

Flint54

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: One Eye, Two Eyes Reply with quote

8)Well lets see here, one or two eyes? Depends on what firearm is being used, for me I try to use both as much as possible, iron sights both, red dot sights both, low power scopes 2x and lower both, shotgun both, handgun with iron sights both and above 2x scopes one eye. Also with a red dot and low power scopes if the shot is being difficult I'll use one eye.

Actually it really is a personal preference as what may be right for me may not work for someone else. What ever way works for you is the way you should do it. Cool
Handloader

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: One Eye, Two Eyes Reply with quote

Flint54 wrote:
. . . . .

Actually it really is a personal preference as what may be right for me may not work for someone else. What ever way works for you is the way you should do it. Cool

Flint54: I agree with your summary statement. I have seen shooters do amazing things with less than conventional methods; in fact, some have achieved national and state recognition for their shooting skills.

Most of us, in fact, probably learned from someone that told us to keep one eye open (hopefully the sighting eye!) and we began our shooting career under the impression that was the best way to see the target, the front and the rear sight. Later, when using scopes we continued the practice and kept one eye closed. Reprograming ourselves to keep both eyes open, initially, seemed awkward and required some practice to realize the benefits. In that process many revert back to using one eye and often it is because there has been no ardent effort nor supervised instruction on how to keep both eyes open as well as being satisfied with the results they are getting. If someone goes through the process and can't adapt or is content at their level of hunting or competitive shooting then your summary statement is certainly appropos.

For those that learn to and adapt to keeping both eyes open with iron or telescopic sight, many will find their depth perception will be better (3D rather than 2D), their sight definition clearer and eye strain minimized. In action shooting it is a skill practiced by most; watching IDPA or IPSC matches confirms the "two eyes open" technique for the top performers (yes, there are exceptions). Hunting situations allow a broader field of view by increasing the peripheral vision. If skilled competitive trap or skeet shooters are observed, most will keep both eyes open.

Keeping both eyes open when shooting is another tool that can improve results. It requires practice and, sometimes, supervised lessons to be able to master it and most that do master it find it is worth the effort and rewarding.

But, like you say, it ain't for everyone.
sniper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: One Eye, Two Eyes Reply with quote

When I was a little tad, my dad said close one eye when you aim. No doubt he had done this all of his life. I always did that, and now, if I open two eyes, I have real problems, although I realize the benefits of two eyeballs. Soooo, I do the best I can with one. Old habits die hard. Or not at all... Shocked Confused wtf
wy111

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: One Eye, Two Eyes Reply with quote

Stop bickering you "youngsters". I reached my "Heinz" this year, wear glasses, false teeth, wooden leg, hearing aid, back support and have a 23 year old daughter who cripples the rest of me.
No, joking apart, only the glasses and daughter are true, but I use both eyes for my shotguns, but only one for my rifles. Normally, I think, as mine are, your scopes are adjustable for your master eye and when I am shooting, my vision is not too impaired. Maybe later in life, I will have to wear my glasses for my shotguns(Maybe just to find them), but hopefully a long while before I need them for my rifles.
I have shot for just over 40 years and have always used the same methods without any problems
Dave
george20042007

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: One Eye, Two Eyes Reply with quote

Welcome Dave...I don't know who's the senior here, you or I, but, I think if we took a survey most would say one eye for shotguns, one eye for long distance shooting with scoped rifles, two eyes for tactical (within 25 feet) & two eyes for laser sights. I'm not sure about pistol & revolvers yet as I usually use two eyes with iron sights.
Keep it coming...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 2 of 2