Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Mobile version... a preview
Help / Support / How-to's / Discussion related to PointBlank Software and External Ballistics in general
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » PointBlank Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Mobile version... a preview Reply with quote

So back during my Christmas break I took another stab at a mobile version. I got a free months trial of the development software and went to town on it. I've been working off and on for the past month... and am surprised at just how much came together on it. Its nearly to the point I would consider using it myself to track data.

As the trial ends next week I'll have to make a determination on what commercial tier package to purchase. The basic version is $500, but it allows me to release on Android and iPhone with little changes. I'm not sure how much I should charge for this, I would at least have to figure something to break even. I'm open to suggestions Very Happy

Ballistics calculations and output are done. Target management is in progress, but 75% done. I'm working on the serialization now (writing data out, loading it back in). The UI is using default controls and temp images like the logo, those I will change out soon. I would like to be able to export range data as a email or something, that PointBlank on the PC can import... that would be snazzy to plunk data in at the range on the phone, export it to the pc for when you get home.

I have a few major bugs I cant quite figure out fixes for yet... one major one is the keyboard fly out covers edit boxes so you cant see what you are typing. Highly annoying but it's currently not holding me up. Their UI (user interface) tools are TERRIBLE. I cannot precisely position things where I need them to be, its super frustrating!

Anyway its very near to a alpha-testable state... if I go ahead with purchasing after the trial ends, I'll maybe ask for a few alpha-beta testers in the next month or so.

Bottom line, its rough... but it mostly works!!! I'm fairly pleased with things.

A sneak peak running on my many years old HTC Thunderbolt (ignore the blue "M" icon, its a overlay for the trial version of the dev software and I cant remove it):

main screen

ballistic variables

table calculation

trajectory calculation

energy calculation

wind drift

target data list

target view

-DallanC
Elvis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile version... a preview Reply with quote

looks like youve been busy...tis all gobbly de gook to me mate but Im sure those who are more techno savvy will chime in soon.

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile version... a preview Reply with quote

Looks promising! And I'd sure rather buy something from you than someone I don't know. I'd be running it on a Samsung Galaxy tablet.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile version... a preview Reply with quote

Looks good Dallan...you have been a very busy boy. As for costs...I would have a look at what other ballistics programs for the phones etc cost and work it out from there. Although the software licence is $500, remember your time is valuable to you and your family mate, so don't leave that out of the equation.

As Punkin said...rather the money go to you than a stranger.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
PaulS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile version... a preview Reply with quote

Lots of hard work there Dallan! too bad I won't be able to use it - no cell phone, now or ever...... (well unless they completely drop land lines).

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
gelandangan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile version... a preview Reply with quote

Bloody awesome looking software Dallan.
Maybe you can start licensing out the use of Pointblank mobile to cover your compiler cost.
Maybe by giving out reduced instruction version for free and full blown version for pay.
After all there are plethora of apps in the market that do charge like that.
Even with $1 cost per license you would recoup your money sooner or later.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
PaulS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile version... a preview Reply with quote

I think it is only fair to recoup your costs plus 50%. I don't know how you would go about that but at $10 a copy you might be able to do it. I would be willing to talk it up at the range I use and in the other boards that I occasionally frequent. I would advertise it for $15 with a 33% discount if they used my name when they ordered it and that way you can tell me how good my coverage is.

I am not afraid to hype your work because I know you produce quality software.

Anyway, let me know.....

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
DarrellM5
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile version... a preview Reply with quote

Is this project still in the works? I notice that the last post is 10 months old.

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile version... a preview Reply with quote

Shortly after I posted the update, my work shifted us into mandatory 6 days a week w/ mass overtime. I got all busy with that and had to stop work on the mobile version. I'm planning on finishing it but I've been busy with other things... plus, I was really annoyed to find out it costs me $$$ just to put up free app on the google / apple stores.

I need to revisit this, last status was it was tracking loads and misc data just fine, I was trying to get the emailing of data to work, to allow a user to export data in a simple way to their PC, to then be easily imported into PointBlank.

-DallanC
DarrellM5
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile version... a preview Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks! If you need any beta testers, hit me up. I've done some beta testing in the past and I can definitely give a program a good wringing out.

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile version... a preview Reply with quote

Broke this out again tonight, played around and got the email exporting of data to work. Had to make some minor formatting changes that I'll have to fix on the import side... but I plan to work on this off and on in the next bit.

What type of phone do you use?

-DallanC
gelandangan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile version... a preview Reply with quote

Samsung Galaxy

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
MacD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile version... a preview Reply with quote

Seems most free apps are supported by ads or selling metadata collected by the app. I often get the free reduced functions app to try it out and then spring $ for the full version. That might work for you Dallan. I have been using Strelock Pro ($13.99) on my Galaxy Tablet but I would much prefer to use Point Blank.

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile version... a preview Reply with quote

I would be open to posting APK's for manual install for testing purposes. They would be dated to expire at some future date (ie: a version is good for 2 weeks etc)... thats how the beta PC versions worked.

Anywho I made good progress yesterday, forgot how much is working... let me spend a week and button down some misc stuff and we'll see where we're at.

@Mac, its an option... but I hate ads with a passion in apps lol.

-DallanC
Dawgdad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile version... a preview Reply with quote

I would try it on an I-phone when you have it IOS ready.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » PointBlank Software
Page 1 of 1