Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

.30 Remington AR
Discussions run-amok, innane banter it all goes here
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: .30 Remington AR Reply with quote

horses for courses dude. as for not being comparable........ a 300 winchester magnum a.30/06 a .308 and my wee silly billy bang stick all firing the same projectile will at some range all be doing the same speed and have same energy and ballistics.
and for what its worth Ive shot around a dozen 140lb+ boars with a 30/30 and NONE of them got up to ask what I used...same for the .270.
and my .223 is sitting on 6 from 6 shots at this point too!!!!

Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: .30 Remington AR Reply with quote

XcountryRider wrote:
Elvis wrote:
hmmm????
well not anyone really
I own and use a 7.62x39mm and a .270 either of which will do the biz given the chance.and I believe the guys with .308s or .243s would take um bridge with that comment too!!!!

Your 7.62X39 has silly ballistics compared to the 30AR. Fine as a short range hog rifle for sure but seriously don't compare it to a 30AR. As far as 270's, 308's and 243 they don't exist in a AR15. I'm a 6.5mm Grendel guy and don't own a 30AR but ballistics are ballistics and the 30AR has it where it counts.
ahhh hum have a squizz at a remington R25 BEFORE you make statements like that Very Happy Very Happy
and before you get all hot under the collar and tell me "its not a true AR"
WELL IF IT LOOKS LIKE A DUCK AND QUACKS LIKE A DUCK ITS PROBABLY NOT A SABRE TOOTH TIGRE Very Happy

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: .30 Remington AR Reply with quote

Arguing calibres and hunting can be a bit like arguing cars and their performance. Each and every calibre can deliver the goods at one time or another. I've seen pigs taken with a .22 rim fire rifle, but the conditions have to be right.

Sooooo...I think that we all need to remember that a boollit is nothing more than a small piece of metal delivered by a process of pressure derived from burning powder. The over-riding factor is not necessarily the calibre, but the construction if the boollit and the velocity it strikes the target medium.

All calibres have their following and that is good because guys can load it to the specs that suit their needs. But realistically, a critter ain't gonna know what calibre, weight boollit, brand of boollit, construction of boollit or velocity at which it hits.

The most important thing is the "nut behind the butt". If he or she doesn't do their part then it doesn't make any difference what the calibre or boollit is that is being fired.

I'm actually looking at another calibre at the moment... .30 Blackout.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Suzanne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: .30 Remington AR Reply with quote

Some ballistics are just silly! Now take the 7.62x39 for example vs the 30rar. Oh wait! is it called a 30AR or a 30RAR or is it 30 Remington?....oh that just makes me laugh right there...ahem...the 30wtf shooting the same weight bullet, blows about 400fps more than the x39. The x39 is widely used so is very available, cheap to shoot, hard hitting, not in danger of going obsolete, is not single stacked is close to being a 30-30 (just like the 30rem.) and is a great medium game cartridge (except for the narrow range of bullets avail). Talk about silly! Let's see what are the advantages of the 30wtf......um....well it has a 30 in it's name...can't think...it's basically a rimless 30-30 shortened to fit the ar platform....oh it shoots out a 400fps advantage over the x39. The average deer hunter distance shoots about 100yds or under so I wonder if that mere 400fps more is worth the cost...Oh that's just silly! No no no...large game..that's silly!

Suz Very Happy

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: .30 Remington AR Reply with quote

Haha Haha Haha Haha

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: .30 Remington AR Reply with quote

quack quack quack Poke Poke

radar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: .30 Remington AR Reply with quote

Theres one sure way to get an arguement started on this site - start comparing ballistics!
Interestingly enough 308 and 30-30 preformance can be loaded into a 30-06 case, which means a young or inexperienced shooter can start with a light kick and built their way up to something with a great range of options.

Each to their own.

Anyway, why use an AR platform! Now thats gotta cause some controversy, can't you hit it first time every time Shocked (just me getting cocky)

George Orwell
slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: .30 Remington AR Reply with quote

radar wrote:
Anyway, why use an AR platform! Now thats gotta cause some controversy, can't you hit it first time every time

What if you engage more than one deer or hog at a time? Its a "sounder" plan to have hunt with an AR? (pun intended)

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
XcountryRider
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: .30 Remington AR Reply with quote

Suzanne wrote:
Some ballistics are just silly! Now take the 7.62x39 for example vs the 30rar. Oh wait! is it called a 30AR or a 30RAR or is it 30 Remington?....oh that just makes me laugh right there...ahem...the 30wtf shooting the same weight bullet, blows about 400fps more than the x39. The x39 is widely used so is very available, cheap to shoot, hard hitting, not in danger of going obsolete, is not single stacked is close to being a 30-30 (just like the 30rem.) and is a great medium game cartridge (except for the narrow range of bullets avail). Talk about silly! Let's see what are the advantages of the 30wtf......um....well it has a 30 in it's name...can't think...it's basically a rimless 30-30 shortened to fit the ar platform....oh it shoots out a 400fps advantage over the x39. The average deer hunter distance shoots about 100yds or under so I wonder if that mere 400fps more is worth the cost...Oh that's just silly! No no no...large game..that's silly!

Suz Very Happy

Nothing wrong with shooting a 7.62X39 it makes a great Hog gun but theirs nothing "mere" about a 400fps advantage. Have fun with that commie round its cheap and fun to shoot. At least until you walk down and look at the paper, I would take a 30AR in a new York minute over that little jihad caliber. The amount of range you get with that 400 fps advantage is the difference in a real general purpose rifle and a niche.

gelandangan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: .30 Remington AR Reply with quote

Ok I get into this discussion a few days late.

Let me throw another curve in this.
Why not 30 BLK or what JD Jones insisted to be called 300 Whisper?

Surely the parent case of 223 REM for 30 BLK is much easier to get than the 450 Bushmaster for 30 RAR.
With 125 gn projectile, the 30 BLK can go to 2200 fps a "mere" 600 fps less than 30 RAR Very Happy

With 220 gn projectile the 30 BLK can deliver at 1020 fps, where it might have exploded in chamber of the 30 RAR Shocked

Hows that?

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: .30 Remington AR Reply with quote

gelandangan, you might like the subsonic .300 Blackout/Whisper and its 30 inches of trajectory drop from 100 to 200 yards. Plus it doesn't cycle in the subsonic mode. Quite a few disappointed .300 BO guys have switched over to the 6.8mm.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Elvis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: .30 Remington AR Reply with quote

it will cycle just fine in a bolt action!!!!
and the x39 was used by the ruskys long before the ragheads got hold of A.Ks.
whats the add above you at the moment???
for me its a Ruger...AR variant in .308 no less
I arent trying to say the wee gun is an elephant slayer (even though it has been used for that)
I bought mine as a close range bush gun and something for my young fella to use that wouldnt knock the crap out of him that can take a red deer at close range with less chance of a wounding/better show of clean kill than my .223
and the other reason it was cheap enough that a knock or 2 wont bring tears to my eyes like it would on my Zastava .223
all 3 of my centrefires are getting the hush puppy treatment this year...and the x39 is by far the most obvious one to try subsonic with.
why bother???? same reason a dog licks its...you know what...
because it can!!!!
I dont intend to try shooting 200yards subsonic..IF I need to use wee gun for that I will use a 125grain ballistic tip as fast as I can safely push it.

slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: .30 Remington AR Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:
all 3 of my centrefires are getting the hush puppy treatment this year...and the x39 is by far the most obvious one to try subsonic with.

I think you need a 1:7 twist to stabilize a subsonic .30-cal.

gelandangan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: .30 Remington AR Reply with quote

LOL its the my ..... is bigger than yours syndrome..
To each their own I say..
Any caliber is good caliber if it can do what it is designed to do.

x39 is awesome being maybe one of the most used caliber in the world, I guess since they are so widely available many wildcat loads, mods and combos would have been tried and used.
Subsonics loads on 7.62x39 is not a new thing, in fact due to the close up shoot nature of the subsonic, with correct load, you can actually get away with minute of pig accuracy using standard barrel up to 50 meters away.

My reasoning to go into the subsonic caliber started as economy. Subsonic uses less powder which is the biggest cost in my type of shooting. I want to re use my 45 ACP cases for hunting after given up my ParaOrdnance P14-45 on the government gun grab. But since long 452 barrels are difficult to find, I settle with a much flaunted accuracy of the 300 whisper.. but after a while, I feel inadequate when going after larger animal such as deer.. so I go back up to the 458 cal and use 45-70 which are easily loaded to subsonic.
But.. the end result is I ended up using a lot (relative) of powder.
45 ACP = 5 grains AP-30
300 Whisper = 11 grain AR 2205
45/70 = 28 grains AR 2206H
Oh well..

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: .30 Remington AR Reply with quote

gelandangan wrote:
45 ACP = 5 grains AP-30
300 Whisper = 11 grain AR 2205
45/70 = 28 grains AR 2206H

gelandangan, powder is going up but you didn't say what the bullet weight was. Isn't the 45-70 a 405gr bullet or heavier? I assue the other are much lighter and thus less kinetic energy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama
Page 4 of 8