Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

new to site , looking for info
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunnerdd2
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: new to site , looking for info Reply with quote

Hello. I'm new to the form and just looking for some information. I've recently got into some long-range shooting. Most my shooting has been at the hundred yard range. Now I'm getting into the 350 to 400 yard range. I have a bushmaster varment rifle with the 24 inch stainless bull barrel with a 1/9 twist. I'm using a 55 grain boat tail bullet. Powder is H335. 25 grain of powder. What I'm wondering what would be a recipe and powder for that distance. Doing pretty good with my loads for 100 yards but was just wondering at the longer distance would a different powder or mixture be more accurate. forgot I got to mention the bullets I'm shooting is .223. Any help would be appreciated.
gelandangan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: new to site , looking for info Reply with quote

Welcome to the site.
Grab one of Vince's beer, and relax.
Someone would pipe up soon.
I wouldn't have a clue about long range anything, but we got plenty who does.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
MacD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: new to site , looking for info Reply with quote

Welcome to the site. If you haven't already download the free Point Blank software using the link on the home page. There you can compare loads based upon velocity and bullet. My best for distance is the Sierra Matchking bullet using Varget. Hogdon lists the powder charge on thier site. A mid velocity loading is best in my heavy barrel 223 but your rifle may perform with a slower or hotter load.

gunnerdd2
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: new to site , looking for info Reply with quote

thanks .I need to do that just wasn't sure waht it was .
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: new to site , looking for info Reply with quote

Welcome to the site!

-DallanC
Elvis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: new to site , looking for info Reply with quote

welcome aboard. I use 24.5 grns of AR2206 in my zastava .223 with great results but I dont shoot much over 200yrds often.

tikkat3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: new to site , looking for info Reply with quote

Welcome Gunner,
Can't help with the fast twist
My 1:12 Tikka T3 loves 25grns Benchmark [BM2]
Have also tried Varget [2208] with good results.

I thought the whole idea of the fast twist was to go to a heavier bullet?
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: new to site , looking for info Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Gunner...I see Gelan has fixed you up with a beer...pull up a stump and sit awhile mate.

I'm not a long range shooter myself, but I've heard from guys that do that the .223 is no slouch "out there", although I would question its killing power on anything bigger than a rabbit at that range.

The guys have suggested some powders, and I agree...Varget is a good powder in the .223 but make sure you begin developing your loads at the suggested start weight of powder. We found the best accuracy from my mates HOWA Mountaineer was .5 grain below max. Elvis mentions AR2206...Hogdon market this powder as H4895.

Download the Pointblank software (its free) and have a great time developing a load.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: new to site , looking for info Reply with quote

Welcome! You might want to check out Hodgdon's CFE .223 powder. It was originally designed for the .223 and has the benefit of having a copper fouling inhibiter, which might be useful for you match shooting. I'm using it right now in .17 Remington (20 grain bullets), .223 (50-grain bullets)and .22/250 Remington (55 grain bullets) with excellent accuracy and velocity.

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL

Last edited by SingleShotLover on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
gunnerdd2
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: new to site , looking for info Reply with quote

thanks I might have to try that . have read a little on it seems good , thanks
Dawgdad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: new to site , looking for info Reply with quote

For a 1:9 .223 out to 400 yards -a 68-69 grain match bullet with either Reloader 15 or Varget at 24.0-24.5 grains and magazine length around 2.250" should get you MOA on a reasonably calm day. You should try the Hornady 75 gr BTHP's as some 1:9's can shoot them well too. (Hornady Amax will need an 8 twist or better) your 55's will start doing things you do not want them to do after about 300 yards. (cork screwing)

The .223 service rilfe loads for 600 yards are usually the 75-80 grain bullets in a 1:8 or 1:7 twist barrel with a Wylde chamber. Many shooters run them into the lands so they do not fit in the magazine and can only be single loaded.

Where are you located?

You should check into the highpower shooting in your are and check out a match where you shoot 200-300 and 600 yards with iron sights on the AR.

gunnerdd2
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: new to site , looking for info Reply with quote

making up some loads for next weekend. going with the 69gr hpbt with 24 reloader 15 and making some up with cfe 223. going to try a couple of differant loads on the cfe. will give a range report when dont. thanks for all the info
Dawgdad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: new to site , looking for info Reply with quote

how did it go?

gunnerdd2
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: new to site , looking for info Reply with quote

didnt go this weekend . it was richmond race . didnt get home till around 4:00 am. going this weekend. my buddy went up sunday and shot the 55 grain with the cfe223 powder and put 5 shots in the size of a quarter. that was at 350yrds.25 grain of powder. kinda looking forward to try.
Dawgdad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: new to site , looking for info Reply with quote

That is good shooting! Hope it goes as well for you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 2