HuntingNut
HuntingNut
   Login or Register
HomeCommunity ForumsPhoto AlbumsRegister
     
 

User Info

Welcome Anonymous


Membership:
Latest: OutdoorLimited
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 12687

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 122
BOT: 1
Total: 123
Who Is Where:
 Visitors:
01: Forums
02: Forums
03: Forums
04: Your Account
05: Your Account
06: Forums
07: Your Account
08: Forums
09: Home
10: Forums
11: Forums
12: Your Account
13: Forums
14: Forums
15: Forums
16: Forums
17: Your Account
18: Your Account
19: Forums
20: Forums
21: Photo Albums
22: Forums
23: Forums
24: Forums
25: Forums
26: Your Account
27: Home
28: Forums
29: Your Account
30: Forums
31: Forums
32: Home
33: Your Account
34: Your Account
35: Your Account
36: Your Account
37: Forums
38: Your Account
39: Forums
40: Your Account
41: Your Account
42: Forums
43: Your Account
44: Forums
45: Photo Albums
46: Your Account
47: Forums
48: Your Account
49: Forums
50: Forums
51: Forums
52: Your Account
53: Forums
54: Your Account
55: Forums
56: Your Account
57: Forums
58: Home
59: Forums
60: Forums
61: Your Account
62: Forums
63: Photo Albums
64: Your Account
65: Photo Albums
66: Your Account
67: Forums
68: Forums
69: Forums
70: Your Account
71: Forums
72: Forums
73: Forums
74: Forums
75: Statistics
76: Your Account
77: Forums
78: Photo Albums
79: Your Account
80: Forums
81: Your Account
82: Forums
83: Forums
84: Photo Albums
85: Forums
86: Forums
87: Forums
88: Your Account
89: Forums
90: Forums
91: Your Account
92: Forums
93: Your Account
94: Forums
95: Your Account
96: Your Account
97: Forums
98: Forums
99: Forums
100: Forums
101: Your Account
102: Your Account
103: Forums
104: Your Account
105: Forums
106: Forums
107: Forums
108: Forums
109: Forums
110: Forums
111: Forums
112: Forums
113: Forums
114: Your Account
115: Forums
116: Your Account
117: Forums
118: Your Account
119: Your Account
120: Your Account
121: Your Account
122: Forums
  BOT:
01: Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
 

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 305
 Pictures: 2367
  · Views: 525840
  · Votes: 1312
  · Comments: 86
 

Support our Advertisers

Magazine Rotation
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
chambered221
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Aug 17, 2007
Posts: 3455
Location: Lost for good !!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Magazine Rotation Reply with quote

Have never swapped out a mag spring........ it's never been proven to me that a mag spring was ever at fault for lack of function !!!

_________________
Ask as many people needed, sooner or later your question will be answered the way you want it answered !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
PaulS
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Posts: 3667
Location: South-Eastern Washington - the State

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Magazine Rotation Reply with quote

Springs, when made new, are a tad longer than the "unloaded length" because they do take a "loaded set". Once the initial setting is taken the only thing that affects the load and length of the spring is:
Heat from an external source above the 500F - 580F "tempering" range
or
Internal heat from constant working near or beyond the springs minimum working lenth.

As long as the spring is not "overcompressed" or worked at that length for prolonged periods it will never soften. It may rust and break but the steel will not change its fundamental characteristics.

Paul

_________________
Paul
__________________
Speer, Lyman, Hodgdon, Sierra, and Hornady = reliable loading data
So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7833
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Magazine Rotation Reply with quote

Elvis, your grammar is good. I was just playing on words. Isn't Radar involved in law?

Bushy, this discussion is concerning semi-auto pistol mag springs which are not the same as semi-auto rifle. Rifle brass is long enough that the mag lip do all the aligning of the bullets. Its not the same in a pistol. The position of the bullet nose is controlled by the magazine lips and spring force. A weak spring may not elevate the nose high enough to feed into the chamber. I can't explain what makes a sping week but it can happen. When it does, high-capacity semi-autos may begin to feed unreliably as the rounds remaining in the mag decreases. When I was trouble shooting my feed issues, a Glock armorer showed me what was causing my problem. When I compared spring lengths of all my magazines, the two with the issue were shorter than the others.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
chambered221
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Aug 17, 2007
Posts: 3455
Location: Lost for good !!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Magazine Rotation Reply with quote

Were those mags kept loaded or did ya wear them out ??? Confused

Did you replace with Glock springs or aftermarket springs ???

_________________
Ask as many people needed, sooner or later your question will be answered the way you want it answered !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7833
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Magazine Rotation Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:
Were those mags kept loaded or did ya wear them out ?

I remember now that there were 3 mags that I replaced springs in. Two were ones I keep loaded. The tired one was in the mix of ones I used.

chambered221 wrote:
Did you replace with Glock springs or aftermarket springs ?

To were replaced by Glock with OEM springs. One I tried an aftermarket spring with a +2.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 7777
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Magazine Rotation Reply with quote

tube magazine springs get dirty and will give feed problems too. even the old 30/30 (sorry Bushy) will give grief if they get crappy or rust a little, I know mine used to hang up the last round some times, I always check to see the end of the magazine when unloading my pump .12ga for this very reason. my buddys .22mag would sometimes do the same. if you remove the coil spring and give it and the tube a plurry good clean the problem goes away.

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7833
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Magazine Rotation Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:
Have never swapped out a mag spring........ it's never been proven to me that a mag spring was ever at fault for lack of function !!!

Do you have a hi-capacity semi-auto pistol? 1911s don't count. I can tell you with certainty that it can happen. I had failure to feed problems at a Glock sponsored match. Went to the Glock armorer on duty. He diagnoised the problem in 2 seconds. He showed me the bullet angle difference (nose up) with the original spring and then when the new spring was installed. I've had the problem occur in 2 other mags. I've been shooting Glocks coming up on 20 years. I've had to replace sagging springs on my cars during that time also.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
chambered221
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Aug 17, 2007
Posts: 3455
Location: Lost for good !!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Magazine Rotation Reply with quote

Yes I have hi-caps but admit my single stacks are the go to guns and get most of the attention !!!

I did however leave a couple of .40cal XD mags loaded for about a year without any ill effects .

_________________
Ask as many people needed, sooner or later your question will be answered the way you want it answered !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7833
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Magazine Rotation Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:
mags loaded for about a year without any ill effects .

Try 10 to 20 years.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 7777
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Magazine Rotation Reply with quote

why bother having them loaded for that long????
If they arent getting fired at least once a year you wont be familiar with them to the degree you should be.

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
chambered221
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Aug 17, 2007
Posts: 3455
Location: Lost for good !!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Magazine Rotation Reply with quote

Yup....did that ......15+ years in a Sig220 but you say they don't count !!!

Guess that makes my old Sig single stacks more reliable than your Glock !!! Poke


Elvis, I have mags that are dedicated for carry/protection. This helps ensure they are not compromised and work if needed. They only time they get unloaded is when I rotate the ammo out or do a reliability check.

_________________
Ask as many people needed, sooner or later your question will be answered the way you want it answered !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 7777
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Magazine Rotation Reply with quote

Very Happy and that reliability check is done at the range I hope? which was my point Very Happy that they will get used/ changed around at some stage not left sitting for 10 years+ Very Happy hells bells batman you will have to get em out and have a blast up so why not use up the now getting old ammo and replace it with some new flash fandangled stuff Shocked you have just loaded up. it must improove piece of mind??
would it not???

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
chambered221
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Aug 17, 2007
Posts: 3455
Location: Lost for good !!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Magazine Rotation Reply with quote

I laugh every time I shoot the old ammo up...........yup it still works... didn't need replaced Confused

And for the record I only use factory ammo for carry/self defense.
I know that's a hot topic with some but I've never had issue with the factory stuff. I also prefer not having to explain or justify my re-loads.....one less thing to worry about.

_________________
Ask as many people needed, sooner or later your question will be answered the way you want it answered !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7833
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Magazine Rotation Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:
Guess that makes my old Sig single stacks more reliable than your Glock !!! :poke:

I pondered that for a moment. If my mag spring has weakened, you are correct. That's why I check my mags.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7833
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Magazine Rotation Reply with quote

talked with some other Glock owners at the match last weekend. The Glock guy that shot the most, switches out his magazine spring every two years. He buys a 10-pack of Wolf springs.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 2 of 3
All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next



Jump to:  


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Advertisements
 


Valid CSS! Valid HTML 4.01!
Click to check if this page is realy HTML 4.01 compliant for speed :)

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of HuntingNut.com.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2011 by HuntingNut.com
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy

.: Upgraded to DragonFly 9.2 by Dizfunkshunal :.