Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Sheriff says carry a gun
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lesterg3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Sheriff says carry a gun Reply with quote

So a day or two ago some South Carolina Sheriff was on the news because some woman had been assaulted, here is an excerpt from USA Today.

SPARTANBURG, SC (USA Today) -- A county sheriff in South Carolina is urging women to get concealed weapons permits and carry guns.
GoUpstate.com reports that Spartanburg Sheriff Chuck Wright made the statements while discussing an attempted rape at a local park. Wright suggested a .45-caliber weapon, because "you don't have to be accurate, you just have to be close" to a target, the website reports.
Wright even displayed a fanny pack with a gun that women could wear while jogging.
Walter Lance, 46, is charged with kidnapping, first-degree criminal sexual conduct and grand larceny in connection with the assault. Wright says Lance was fortunate someone with a gun didn't hear the victim's screams and put the "animal" down, the website reports.
"That would have fixed this," Wright says. "Ladies, walk in groups. ... I don't want you to go for the Mace; I want you to go for the concealed weapons permit. Gun control to me is when you can get your barrel back on the target quick."

Anyway, the local radio stations are making a big thing out of this guy’s honest appraisal of what women should do, and few interesting questions came up:

How many women have used a concealed weapon to successfully defend themselves against assault?

How many people in general have successfully used a concealed weapon to defend against an assault?

How many people have wound up in jail as a result of using a concealed weapon?

In listening to the radio it is astounding to hear the ridiculous ideas folks have about people who carry concealed weapons, what a bunch of ignorant fools. One said this was nothing more than vigilantly justice, another said that the gun would defiantly be taken and used against the victim, and so on and so on.

My question is, has there ever been any type of definitive study on the numbers of concealed carry folks who have successfully defended themselves against attack?

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."--James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sheriff says carry a gun Reply with quote

This story was on our local news station last night and everybody on the news cast agreed it was a good idea to ccw.

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
Elvis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheriff says carry a gun Reply with quote

Lesterg3 quick as you can get that man to run for president. ol Obammy wouldnt stand a chance.

stovepipe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheriff says carry a gun Reply with quote

lesterg3 wrote:
In listening to the radio it is astounding to hear the ridiculous ideas folks have about people who carry concealed weapons, what a bunch of ignorant fools. One said this was nothing more than vigilantly justice, another said that the gun would defiantly be taken and used against the victim, and so on and so on.

My question is, has there ever been any type of definitive study on the numbers of concealed carry folks who have successfully defended themselves against attack?

NRA, and others, has stats on civilian's defending themselves and stopping threats w/ CW and at home. If we published the millions, yes millions of violent crimes stopped each year in this country by armed ctizens it would blow a lot of peoples closed little minds. It's irrefuteable evidence and the anti's would have nothing to stand on, snas the usual BS and rehtoric they spew.
RPM1031

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheriff says carry a gun Reply with quote

I caught a small piece of an interview with him.
He recommend the the Judge? I think. You can load .410 shells as well as .45 lc.
The reporter keep refering to women carrying as vigilantly justice!

Today my wife and I went for the first time to apply for carry permits
We now live in Fulton County, GA and had to get printed by the county police.
With a smile the women asks what she can do for us.
When I told her we needed to prints for the permit, she tossed her head and rolled her eyes.

Elvis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheriff says carry a gun Reply with quote

but you got the permits and had a good PR time with the coppers so thats all good in my book.

RPM1031

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheriff says carry a gun Reply with quote

Elvis,
Not yet. My understanding is the state of Georgia has a law/regulation stating the counties have 60 days to issue the permit. We first had to fill out some paper work at the probate court. That women told us it could take up to 4 months. When I mentioned the state's 60 days we got a twisted head and rolled eyes & were told it might take as little as 1 month but could be 4.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 1