Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

New Mexico Elk Hunt
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: New Mexico Elk Hunt Reply with quote

My hunting partner and I start our 4-day elk hunt tomorrow morning dark and early. We got drawn for cow tags on the Mescalero Indian Reservation las February. The Mescalero's manage an elk herd of between 4000 and 5000 elk. Today was prep day - got our permits, checked our rifles' zero, found dry ice in Ruidoso, and met our guide. With a short hunt and not knowing anything about the area, we decided to go with a guide at least for this first time.

Its beautiful country up here in the mountains. We should be hunting around 8,000' MSL. This afternoon and this evening we did some scouting on our own. Heard a bull elk buggling near us so tried to locate him - no luck. Saw turkeys galor - well over 50+. Then we found a nice lush valley with numberous cattle grazing. As we frove, saw 15 mule deer (does), a group of 6 cow elk, a young 3x4 bull, and a nice 5x5 bulls. The deer watched us with curiousity from about 75 yards away. The elk wasted no time getting into the brush then watching us from there. Boy are they big.

This is my first elk hunt. Tomorrow should be interesting.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Suzanne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mexico Elk Hunt Reply with quote

Oh SlimJ you're commin home with a trophy, I can tell. Lots of record book elk and deer on Indian reservations in New Mexico and Arizona. I hope you bring your camera!!!!!!

good luck!
Suz

gelandangan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mexico Elk Hunt Reply with quote

Good luck Slim!
Remember the piccies!

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Elvis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: New Mexico Elk Hunt Reply with quote

good luck and shoot straight, looking forward to the post hunt run down.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: New Mexico Elk Hunt Reply with quote

Go get some Slim...and make sure you document your hunt with lots and lots of pics mate. Won't believe ya unless I see them in colour. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Mexico Elk Hunt Reply with quote

Good luck Slim.

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
slimjim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: New Mexico Elk Hunt Reply with quote

Thanks for the well wishes. Up early and raring to go. Rifle is ready and up to the task. Now I have to do my part. Will post pictures but probably not until later this weekend.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: New Mexico Elk Hunt Reply with quote

Best of luck to you and for goodness sake be safe. We kinda like to have you around!

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL
moose2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mexico Elk Hunt Reply with quote

A good elk hunt is always something to look forward to. Good luck on yours and have fun. Very Happy

MacD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mexico Elk Hunt Reply with quote

Only shoot the ugly ones :-) GL and good times.

jeh7mmmag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: New Mexico Elk Hunt Reply with quote

"Boy are they big." !!!!!!!

Good luck Slim. Love that area. Bring back some picture and memories also. Are you hunting down toward Cloudcroft, Mayhill, area? If you have time stop and see Billy the Kid museum, and Smokey the Bear museum around Lincoln.

slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mexico Elk Hunt Reply with quote

Well, I need to start looking for some elk recipes! It was a great hunting experience. Sorry I'm so late getting back to you, my laptop died after the beginning of the trip. I feel like I have lots to tell and don't know where to start. The Mescalero Indian Reservation is big, beautiful country! Here is a picture of Sierra Blanca Peak in the Northwest corner of the 500,000 acre reservation. The elevation was 9000' where I took the picture. The peak is over 12,000'.

sierra blanca peak looking to the nw.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  182.1 KB
 Viewed:  14415 Time(s)

sierra blanca peak looking to the nw.jpg

Last edited by slimjim on Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mexico Elk Hunt Reply with quote

Here is the 300-pound cow elk I shot 20 minutes after sunrise. It was 2-3 years old, pretty much full-size but not big bodied yet. My partner got a 500-pound cow from the same herd - 6 cows and 2 bulls. Our guide was great and helped keep me aware of the situation. Even though the hunt was short, I learned a lot and its taken me several days to piece everything together. I'm thinking of doing a topic on my lessons learned. I just need some time to get my thoughts down in a logic order so I can post them and generate discussion.

slimjim and his cow elk 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  233.79 KB
 Viewed:  14414 Time(s)

slimjim and his cow elk 2.jpg

slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mexico Elk Hunt Reply with quote

My rifle is a .270 Win Tikka T3 Lite. I was shooting a Hornady 130gr GMX monolithic bullet with 55.5 grains of IMR 4350 amd muzzle velocity of 3090 fps. I was very please with the rifle's and bullet's performance.

moose2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mexico Elk Hunt Reply with quote

Congrats on a fine hunt SlimJim. There's no end to the learning process on elk. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 1 of 4