Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Bought a camera
Discussions run-amok, innane banter it all goes here
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Bought a camera Reply with quote

So, I bought a camera, I know big deal, but I purchased a 35mm film camera. Confused

It is a Nikon FM SLR, which pre-dates me by atleast 5 years. Very Happy

Based on the images, the camera's body looks hardly used, very little in the way of scratches and no damage, other then the lacking straps as you can see.

It comes with no lenses, so I also picked up off Ebay a 28mm to 80mm lens, and a 80mm to 200mm lens. Which should cover 99% of any kind of picture taking. Thought about a fixed 50mm, but found these 2, for about the same price as one 50mm lens so decided it was the better option.

I convinced myself after looking at the specifications for a new digital, that I can get better quality pictures from film. Apparently, the current "pro" films (color transparency films, such as Fuji Velvia etc) are pushing 80MP equivalent factors in 35mm (both from Kodak's statements and doing the math), standard film is still about half that. Plus if your into black and white, there are some films that theoretically push 450MP due to extremely fine grain sizes on the film.

Heck at 1000 times zoom after the picture was taken, you can make out the time on the little girls watch. Very Happy

So, its been about 10 years since I used a film, and only point and shoot photography, never a SLR. So any tips?

Dimitri

RePete

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a camera Reply with quote

The only downside of film is there aren't many places that devlope it.

Check with Henry's about that.

If it isn't on the camera, you may need a lightmeter. I suggest the Gossen Luna series. Also a flash.

Nikon always made a good camera, as did Canon.

Stercus Accidit = Sh*t Happens in Latin.

Nice try = You Suck spelled different.

My parents spanked me as a child. As a result, I now suffer from a psychological condition known as RESPECT FOR OTHERS.
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a camera Reply with quote

Good buy D: I still use my Canon F1 and A1 cameras for birthdays and important events, one of my first cameras was the Nikon FT (Nikkormat preceded the FM) which had the needle that you had to center on the 0 for correct EV value. I was sad to see Kodachrome go the way of the dodo bird, and hopefully print film will be around for some time.

Get yourself a good lens cleaning kit, and if I remember right, this camera has a titanium shutter which is very good. When you get your cam, give it a good cleaning as dust bunnies love the insides of cameras. Very Happy

Also on your camera, the hot shoe syncs at 1/125 sec instead of the usual 1/60sec which is better for action shots in low light. Like I said before, I still use 35mm cams and even thou the wife went and bought a really nice digital, imo, they can't compete (yet) with the resolution of film cameras. Smile

Best part about a lot of the older film cameras is that you didn't need batteries to take a picture. Same with yours D:, as you get to know the EV values of your shots, you can do away with your batteries since they are only used for the metering display. Try that with a digital cam. Laughing

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a camera Reply with quote

RePete wrote:
The only downside of film is there aren't many places that devlope it.

There are a couple places near by that develop it on a "professional" basis, including B&W, C-41 and E-6 processes. The last being for color transparency photographing, which is what I'll probably do most of. As I don't need prints the vast majority of the time, and slide projectors can be had for cheap.

Still, I am seeing a darkroom in my future, don't know if it saves money, but like fly tying, and reloading, it would give me something to do on the off time at home. I have been known to "forget" to develop film, or even look at my digital camera's memory card for months after the pictures were taken. Very Happy

RePete wrote:
Check with Henry's about that.

Henry's is crazy. Went into one for the first time yesterday, I do not know how they stay in business selling anything that has to do with cameras. They are selling the FM for 300$ used, when a brand spanking new FM10 is 350$ with the lens. Their used FM is body only, no lens to boot.

RePete wrote:
If it isn't on the camera, you may need a lightmeter. I suggest the Gossen Luna series. Also a flash.

It has a built in light meter which is nice, takes simple LR44 batteries too, which can be had practically anywhere.

I normally take landscapes more then close up portraits etc, so I have always unselected flash on my Digital photography as it doesn't throw the light far enough to matter. Might need to look into it thanks.

Ominivision1 wrote:
Good buy D:

While I spent more then what most are on Ebay at 120$ for the body, it came with new seals, and best of all, it comes with a 90 day warranty from the seller as they are a real photoshop. Verses buying from someone who has had the camera sit in a box for a couple of decades. As I said above, locally, 300$ for one. Including priority shipping (comes with tracking and insurance) I still spent less then half the cost. So I am quite pleased with the purchase.

Ominivision1 wrote:
Get yourself a good lens cleaning kit

I bought one a couple years ago for my rifle scopes. Guess I can use that?

Ominivision1 wrote:
you can do away with your batteries since they are only used for the metering display. Try that with a digital cam. Laughing

ROFL

On a serious note, I've been reading a few books on photography, and some of them explain the f/ verses the shutter speed and how it correlates to the ISO rating of the film. So I can see your point, that once you get used to the actual light in a situation, you can bypass the light meter.

Dimitri

Elvis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a camera Reply with quote

try some iso 400 for bush type photos and see if you can find some info by Gordon Roberts he is a New Zealander who worked for the forest service and takes the best bar none animal photos I have ever seen he has a few books out that have great advice for game photography.
looks like a great buy very similar to what I used to carry. now Im lazy and use my cell phone most times(too lazy to carry the extra weight).

gelandangan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a camera Reply with quote

Nice looking camera D!
I am glad that I am not the only "crazy" out there.
I always carry a Nikon FG-20 with a prime 28mm f2.8 with me back before my mobile phone have a camera.
I have three FG-20 body and about 20 other Nikon manual cameras such as F, F2, F3, F4, F5, FM, FM2 and FE2.

Your should have bought the prime lens instead of the zoom ones.
Prime Nikkor 50mm in F1.2 give you a lot more sharpness than any other.
Zoom lenses have their uses, but for best image, you should use prime lens.

My camera store still offer to develop film, C41 - E6 and BW hand process, in various format from 8mm Minox to 8x10 sheet film.
Then again majority of my clients are the oldies that trust film more than digital.
Have to say tho, since year 2000 film cameras are getting scarce.
Still, I always got a few clients are still looking for Hasselbald medium format.
Wedding photos are guaranteed to lasts much longer on film than digital given the same storage circumstances.
Also a lot of time E6 slides sells for a lot more money than a digital photo in professional circle.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a camera Reply with quote

Elvis,

I'll look him up thanks!

Elvis wrote:
now Im lazy and use my cell phone most times(too lazy to carry the extra weight).

I hear you, which is why my digital camera is collecting dust, as my 5MP camera on my Nokia does a decent enough job for quick snap shots. But at the moment I've been lacking a "good" camera, and hence why I was looking to get another one before I settled on film again.

Geland,

I got to ask, does your store have a website? I've heard about it for many years, but you've never given up its website. Laughing

Still I agree with you a 50mm primary lens would be great, but locally they are 200$ or more, and on Ebay they were half that in my bidding. I lost a couple of 50mm prime lenses in the last few days that ended at around the 100$ mark. Both my zoom lenses ended up being half that combined. But I will eventually win a auction and pick up a decent 50mm primary lens.

There is one right now for under 15$, the glass looks fine, but with the damaged threads for the filters I decided against it.

The E-6 slides selling more then digital photographs make sense, I mean, other then perhaps a copy using a slide copying set up, the slide itself is the original "work of art", not the picture, and as a slide cannot be reproduced as easily as a digital picture file (or even a real photograph), its bound to command a premium. Kind of like a hand painted picture, if its hand painted, the artist has to spend more time to copy it, then the digital prints being sold at Walmart of known paintings for 20$. Very Happy

Talking about slides, whats the most widely used slide film your selling? I'm thinking about the Fujifilm Velvia 100 due to the reviews, and because I've never used anything but Fujifilm film in general, but I'm sure there are similar or better options?

Dimitri

gelandangan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a camera Reply with quote

Dimitri, you got PM

I do not advertise my shop in Hunting/shooting forum because it is a SIN talking about bullet etc among most photographers around here.
They are mostly greenies, vegetarian wild shit smellers..
Thats also part of the reason why my face is anonymous here.
I do not like to hide, but it is the income of my family thats on stake here.

I committed faux pas when I saw a picture of rabbits (taken by a teenage girl) and made comment "boom"
while pointing at it with my index finger and my thumb in a shape of L, she burst into tears and her mom came and confront me afterwards.
Sadly, now the whole family and their group of friends are no longer visiting the store.
Australia have so small market that even the loss of a single customer is felt.

Anyhow, back to your question:
Velvia are definitely great slide film.
The world of film photography cries the day Kodakchrome 64 slide film being discontinued.
Today, there are NO commercial developer of Kodakchrome 64 left, so even if you have old stock, there are no chemical to process them.

As far as I know, currently only Fujifilm and Kodak that made film products that is widely marketed.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a camera Reply with quote

Covert Gelan wrote:
...They are mostly greenies, vegetarian wild shit smellers..

Haha Laughing Haha Laughing Haha Laughing Haha Laughing Haha Laughing Haha Laughing Haha Laughing

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Elvis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a camera Reply with quote

that a boy Vince I was trying to find a polite way to do that but you sumed it up nicely.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a camera Reply with quote

No problems Elvis...my pleasure mate.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Dimitri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a camera Reply with quote

gelandangan wrote:
I do not advertise my shop in Hunting/shooting forum because it is a SIN talking about bullet etc among most photographers around here.

I understand. And agree with you on that point. No big deal I am sure for all of us in that regard, you got to do what you got to do.

gelandangan wrote:
I committed faux pas when I saw a picture of rabbits (taken by a teenage girl) and made comment "boom"
while pointing at it with my index finger and my thumb in a shape of L, she burst into tears and her mom came and confront me afterwards.

Dang. I guess I wouldn't survive in that field over there. I've been known to make much more "inappropriate" comments then that. Shocked

gelandangan wrote:
Anyhow, back to your question:
Velvia are definitely great slide film.

Thanks, only one issue, locally there is zero 135-36 available, only medium format. Which means purchasing it from the US from what I can tell. 30$ for the 5 pack, plus shipping and duties, looking at around 10$ a roll. Which to be fair, still ain't bad at all. But bloodly expensive compared to SuperiaX which can be had for as little as 3$ a roll. The price for slide film I guess. Very Happy

gelandangan wrote:
As far as I know, currently only Fujifilm and Kodak that made film products that is widely marketed.

ILFORD and Efke seems to be easy to get around here as well, personally I didn't even know they existed till I walked into a photo store a few days ago.

Dimitri

fnuser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a camera Reply with quote

I used a K-1000 for awhile and just like "kentucky windage" you get a feel for the mechanism the longer you use it.

gelandangan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a camera Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:

ILFORD and Efke seems to be easy to get around here as well, personally I didn't even know they existed till I walked into a photo store a few days ago.

Dimitri

Sorry, of course I stock Ilford too, but I was thinking only of Color/Slide film variety.
B/W film is still made in a few countries, including China, Pakistan and Ukraine.
But they are a lot less popular today as it was 10 or so years ago.
Even less than the decline of color film, because the "Photography" class at schools are now a class of how to use Adobe Photoshop,
instead of how to develop B/W film and print their photos.

I remember great time in high school dark room, working beside this buxom girl.. Laughing Embarassed

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
English Mike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a camera Reply with quote

Film still beats digital for B&W photography every time.
Digital cameras are manufactured to work in colour, with B&W a mere afterthought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama
Page 1 of 3