Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

How to shoot better?
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sniper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: How to shoot better? Reply with quote

I have been shooting since I got my Red Ryder BB gun when I was 9, and have generally been pleased with my results.

Now, I think I would like to see what my guns are capable of, and I wondered if a couple of bench bags like in the Cabela's catalog would be a good beginning point? They have a filled combination of front and rear bags, which I figure would be better than my shot bags filled with kitty litter.

They also offer a machine rest with a bag, which is relatively inexpensive, but maybe more than I need right now. I am going to the store, and will check them out, but what do you guys think? Thanks.
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How to shoot better? Reply with quote

Howdy Howdy Sniper i use the hoppes bench rest its like a mini tripod that hold's the front bag it's fully adjustable and on the feet it has points so if the bench is wood it digs in very well. My rear bag is a formed leather bag. I tryed kitty litter to reduce the weight but didn't like it, sand seems to form better to the stock (IMO). There are alot of rests out there at various prices im sure you will find one that suits ya Smile

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
delboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How to shoot better? Reply with quote

A sack or two of rice does it for me, with the added bonus that if you don't like it - eat it! Smile

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How to shoot better? Reply with quote

Plastic bag of washed sand inside cotton bags. Rather cheap and quite usable...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How to shoot better? Reply with quote

I'm with you Bushmaster, sandbags all the way!

JO422

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: How to shoot better? Reply with quote

Sniper,

I've used old socks with the plastic filling for beanie babies inside. The past couple of years I had my wife sew some cordura bags and I filled them with the same Beanie Baby material.

I've tried filling bags with sand (too heavy and leaks through the seams), beans and corn (nice and light until they get wet and start to rot or sprout) and Kitty litter (OK but it turns to powder after awhile). The plastic "beans" are light and they don't absoprb moisture and cause problems. For accuracy work I like to use a Harris bipod on the front of the rifle and a "Bean Bag" under the stock. This has worked the best for be both from the bench and prone. Just my $.02.
kbis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to shoot better? Reply with quote

I got a tripod divice (made by Coldwell) from Midway for a couple of bucks and a leather bag at Wal-mart filled with sand and they works great.
Blaine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to shoot better? Reply with quote

My wife made me a couple of bags out of a nauga-hide material that has a heavy cloth backing on the inside. I filled them with "sandbox" sand (only $3 for a 40 lb bag) and these bags have stood up better than anything else I've ever used. She triple stitched the seams, so no sand leaks out. She also made the fill spout big enough that filling is no problem. Then she stitched over the spouts as well. These bags are 8" x 8", and about 6" tall. My wife is very clever with this kind of stuff. She's also very understanding about my shooting past time and all my hunting trips.

Blaine

calsibley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to shoot better? Reply with quote

I think there's 3 major elements to becoming a better shot. Firstly, do all you can to make your rifle more conductive to shooting good groups; glass bedding the action floating the barrel and lightening the triggers. Secondly, do your reloading correctly and acurately. Make an effort to earn which loads your rifle prefers. Thirdly, spend a lot of time at the range using proper equipment. Find a technique you're comfortable with and stay with it. Most of range success lies in doing the same thing the same way each shot. Don't hurry the last two steps. Take your time and pay attention to what you're doing. I must have been a slow learner. It took me years to start reaping the benefits of this, but it finally came. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal
BillPa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: How to shoot better? Reply with quote

I agree with Cal,
When I started BR, I spent hours on the phone with the late Bob Pease . If anything sticks in my mind was his statement " It doesn't matter if you do everything wrong,just do it wrong the same way every time". Consistancy is the key to accuracy. The rifle,ammo,conditions and bench manners determine how well it all comes together. Little things like using a snap cap to see if your pulling off target when you squeeze the trigger or when you return the rifle to battery,do you need to totally readjust the bags? Although these are things you need to do in BR,they also pay off big time tuning your favorite deer or varmint gun.

For filling those bags,two product I've found work very well are Sinclair's heavy sand and Repti Sand. I buy Repti Sand locally at The Fish Place,but would guess you can find it or something simular at pet supply stores near you. Mix a little bit of talcum or baby powder with either to help fill and pack the bag a little easier.
The Fish Place - Repti Sand

Later,
Bill
popgun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How to shoot better? Reply with quote

A good front and rear bench rest to shoot from will really help you find the capability of your rifles.
Here is a good value at Midsouth Shooters Supply. The Caldwell Rock BR Rest that has the features of rests costing 200 more. You won't go in the hole and the rest is outstanding quality. Just used mine for the first time last week and it made a big difference in my group results. Just part of the uniformity required to shoot better.
www.midsouthshooterssu...0094440907
View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
calsibley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How to shoot better? Reply with quote

Hello sniper,

If you do cosider getting a front rest I'd suggest looking around at a gun show for a used one. They last forever. The heavier the front rest the better, for stability. Rear bags aren't all that expensive. Some front rest come with bags included, some don't. You'd be surprised how much your group size will improve. It doesn't take very long to get the hang of it.
Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal
Shomebigbores

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How to shoot better? Reply with quote

Well.........here's my two cents worth. Bushmaster has it right. Sand bags. I use three when I am shooting for consistancy. Two in the front, one in the back. If you hold your rifle the same way each time, (goes back to "knowing your weapon and practice" your groups will make you happy. Using the same ammo will let you know when the bad groups are from your mistake rather than a bad load.

Put 10 bucks with my two cents worth and you might get a dollar cup of coffee.

Happy Days.

Walt

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"But she [America] goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." - John Quincy Adams, 1821
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.
Sir Winston Churchill
moose2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to shoot better? Reply with quote

Lot a good suggestions posted here. I'll just add a few more of mine.
#1- shoot more often
#2- practice shooting in the particular positions you may utilize for target
or hunting situations, e.g. off hand, with shooting stix,bipod, off of a
stump, etc.----tr

Shomebigbores

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How to shoot better? Reply with quote

Amen tr.............The purpose of a firearm is to take life. kill, human or wild life. -period-end of story.

If we are going to utilize this tool properly, we must, I say must, be profecient with the tool and be educated hands-on. There is no teacher to compare to experience. Practice with a Bear Attack in mind, and you will enjoy a nice safe moose or elk hunt. If the Bear shows up, your training will kick in and your reaction will keep you alive.

On a bench, fine, if you are going to hunt from a bench. Otherwise, tr has it.

Walt

One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.
Sir Winston Churchill
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 1