Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

My Christmas Rifle (a Christmas story)
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coyotehunter_1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: My Christmas Rifle (a Christmas story) Reply with quote

My Christmas Rifle
By: Rian B. Anderson

Pa never had much compassion for the lazy or for those who squandered their means and then never had enough for the necessities. But for those who were genuinely in need, his heart was as big as all outdoors. It was from him that I learned the greatest joy in life comes from giving, not from receiving. It was Christmas Eve 1881. I was fifteen years old and feeling like the world had caved in on me because there just hadn't been enough money to buy me the rifle that I'd wanted so badly that year for Christmas. We did the chores early that night for some reason. I just figured Pa wanted a little extra time so we could read in the Bible. So after supper was over, I took my boots off and stretched out in front of the fireplace, waiting for Pa to get down the old Bible. I was still feeling sorry for myself and, to be honest, I wasn't in much of a mood to read Scriptures. But Pa didn't get the Bible; instead he bundled up again and went outside. I couldn't figure it out because we had already done all the chores. I didn't worry about it long though, I was too busy wallowing in self-pity. Soon Pa came back in. It was a cold clear night out and there was ice in his beard "Come on, Matt," he said. "Bundle up good, it's cold out tonight." I was really upset then. Not only wasn't I getting the rifle for Christmas, but, now Pa was dragging me out in the cold, and for no earthly reason that I could see. We'd already done all the chores, and I couldn't think of anything else that needed doing, especially not on a night like this.
But I knew Pa was not very patient at one dragging one's feet when he'd told them to do something, so I got up, put my boots back on, and got my cap, coat, and mittens. Ma gave me a mysterious smile as I opened the door to leave the house. Something was up, but I didn't know what. Outside, I became even more dismayed. There in front of the house was the work team, already hitched to the big sled. Whatever it was we were going to do wasn't going to be a short or quick or little job, I could tell. We never hitched up this sled unless we were going to haul a big load. Pa was already up on the seat, reins in hand. I reluctantly climbed up beside him. The cold was already biting at me, and I wasn't happy. When I was on, Pa pulled the sled around the house and stopped in front of the woodshed. He got off and I followed.
"I think we'll put on the high sideboards," he said. "Here, help me." The high sideboards! It had been a bigger job than I wanted to do with just the low sideboards on, but whatever it was we were going to do would be a lot bigger with the high sideboards on. After we had exchanged the sideboards, Pa went into the woodshed and came out with an armload of wood - the wood I'd spent all summer hauling down from the mountain and all fall sawing into blocks and splitting. What was he doing? Finally I said something. "Pa," I asked, "what are you doing?" "You been by the Widow Jensen's lately?" he asked. The Widow Jensen lived about two miles down the road. Her husband had died a year or so before and left her with three children, the oldest being eight. Sure, I'd been by, but so what? "Yeah," I said, "why?" "I rode by just today," Pa said. "Little Jakey was out digging around in the woodpile trying to find a few chips. They're out of wood, Matt." That was all he said. He then turned and went back into the woodshed for another armload of wood. I followed him. We loaded the sled so high that I began to wonder if the horses would be able to pull it. Finally, Pa called a halt to our loading and went to the smokehouse where he took down a big ham and a side of bacon. He handed them to me and told me to put them in the sled and wait. When he returned he was carrying a sack of flour over his right shoulder and a smaller sack of something in his left hand. "What's in the little sack?" I asked. "Shoes. They're out of shoes. Little Jakey just had gunnysacks wrapped around his feet when he was out in the woodpile this morning. I got the children a little candy too. It just wouldn't be Christmas without a little candy. We rode the two miles to Widow Jensen's pretty much in silence. I tried to think through what Pa was doing. We didn't have much by worldly standards. Of course, we did have a big woodpile, though most of what was left now was still in the form of logs that I would have to saw into blocks and split before we could use it. We also had meat and flour, so we could spare that, but I knew we didn't have any money, so why was Pa buying them shoes and candy? Really, why was he doing any of this? Widow Jensen had closer neighbors than us, it shouldn't have been our concern. We came in from the blind side of the Jensen house, unloaded the wood as quietly as possible, and took the meat and flour and shoes around to the front door. We knocked. The door opened a crack and a timid voice said, "Who is it?" "Lucas Miles, Ma'am, and my son, Matt. Could we come in for a bit?" Widow Jensen opened the door and let us in. She had a blanket wrapped around her shoulders. The children were wrapped in another and were sitting in front of the fireplace by a very small fire that hardly gave off any heat at all. Widow Jensen fumbled with a match and finally lit the lamp.
We brought you a few things, Ma'am, Pa said and set down the sack of flour. I put the meat on the table. Then Pa handed her the sack that had the shoes in it. She opened it hesitantly and took the shoes out one pair at a time. There was a pair for her and one for each of the children - sturdy shoes, the best, shoes that would last. I watched her carefully. She bit her lower lip to keep it from trembling and then tears filled her eyes and started running down her cheeks. She looked up at Pa like she wanted to say something, but it wouldn't come out. "We brought a load of wood too, Ma'am," Pa said. He turned to me and said, "Matt, go bring in enough to last awhile. Let's get that fire up to size and heat this place up." I wasn't the same person when I went back out to bring in the wood. I had a big lump in my throat and, as much as I hate to admit it, there were tears in my eyes, too. In my mind, I kept seeing those three kids huddled around the fireplace and their mother standing there with tears running down her cheeks with so much gratitude in her heart that she couldn't speak. My heart swelled within me and a joy that I'd never known before filled my soul. I had given at Christmas many times before, but never when it had made so much difference. I could see we were literally saving the lives of these people. I soon had the fire blazing and everyone's spirits soared. The kids started giggling when Pa handed them each a piece of candy, and Widow Jensen looked on with a smile that probably hadn't crossed her face for a long time. She finally turned to us. "God bless you," she said. "I know the Lord has sent you. The children and I have been praying that he would send one of his angels to spare us." In spite of myself, the lump returned to my throat and the tears welled up in my eyes again. I'd never thought of Pa in those exact terms before, but after Widow Jensen mentioned it, I could see that it was probably true. I was sure that a better man than Pa had never walked the earth. I started remembering all the times he had gone out of his way for Ma and me, and many others. The list seemed endless as I thought on it. Pa insisted that everyone try on the shoes before we left. I was amazed when they all fit and I wondered how he had known what sizes to get. Then I guessed that if he was on an errand for the Lord, the Lord would make sure he got the right sizes. Tears were running down Widow Jensen's face again when we stood up to leave. Pa took each of the kids in his big arms and gave them a hug. They clung to him and didn't want us to go. I could see that they missed their pa, and I was glad that I still had mine. At the door, Pa turned to Widow Jensen and said, "The Mrs. wanted me to invite you and the children over for Christmas dinner tomorrow. The turkey will be more than the three of us can eat, and a man can get cantankerous if he has to eat turkey for too many meals. We'll be by to get you about eleven. It'll be nice to have some little ones around again. Matt, here, hasn't been little for quite a spell." I was the youngest. My two brothers and two sisters had all married and had moved away. Widow Jensen nodded and said, "Thank you, Brother Miles. I don't have to say, "May the Lord bless you." I know for certain that He will." Out on the sled, I felt a warmth that came from deep within and I didn't even notice the cold. When we had gone a ways, Pa turned to me and said, "Matt, I want you to know something. Your ma and me have been tucking a little money away here and there all year so we could buy that rifle for you, but we didn't have quite enough. Then yesterday, a man who owed me a little money from years back came by to make things square. Your ma and me were real excited, thinking that now we could get you that rifle, and I started into town this morning to do just that. But on the way I saw little Jakey out scratching in the woodpile with his feet wrapped in those gunnysacks and I knew what I had to do. Son, I spent the money for shoes and a little candy for those children. I hope you understand." I understood, and my eyes became wet with tears again. I understood very well, and I was so glad Pa had done it. Now the rifle seemed very low on my list of priorities. Pa had given me a lot more. He had given me the look on Widow Jensen's face and the radiant smiles of her three children. For the rest of my life, whenever I saw any of the Jensens, or split a block of wood, I remembered, and remembering brought back that same joy I felt riding home beside Pa that night. Pa had given me much more than a rifle that night, he had given me the best Christmas of my life.

Last edited by coyotehunter_1 on Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Christmas Rifle Reply with quote

Nice story, always is good to read it every year. Smile

Dimitri

squirrelbait

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Christmas Rifle Reply with quote

Coyote, if only He could work on all our hearts.
Especially here in America it seems as a society we just can't seem to be satisfied with what we have. We are so blessed. Most people have no idea just how lucky we are in this great country. thanks for putting this up. I needed the reminder, don't know about anyone else.
thanks Smile
kbis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Christmas Rifle Reply with quote

I would have responded sooner, but had to get the tears out of my eyes. Great storry.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Christmas Rifle Reply with quote

squirrelbait wrote:
Coyote, if only He could work on all our hearts.
Especially here in America it seems as a society we just can't seem to be satisfied with what we have. We are so blessed. Most people have no idea just how lucky we are in this great country. thanks for putting this up. I needed the reminder, don't know about anyone else.
thanks Smile

Squirrel old mate....you have said it all. That is a very humbling story...one that all of us can learn from.

Thanks Coyote....you done good.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
kentucky hareraiser

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Christmas Rifle Reply with quote

nice ,i'd say true story.one that touches the heart.now day's people are not so eager to give,and help the really needy.a soft heart will mend and patch up ,a lot of not so fortunate people today.AGAIN,nice story
tracker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Christmas Rifle Reply with quote

Great story coyote. I have to agree with squirrel as well, seems to me (maybe I'm just old enough) that there used to be a lot mor folk who saw the world the way that fella's Pa did.

1895ss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Christmas Rifle Reply with quote

A very good story. Yep squirrelbait you're right, we don't know how good we have it these days.

coyotehunter_1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Christmas Rifle Reply with quote

Merry Christmas everyone Very Happy

Last edited by coyotehunter_1 on Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
george20042007

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: My Christmas Rifle Reply with quote

Great story! Over the years I gave to various organizations that helped the needy, or, so they claimed. After awhile, I saw what they did and stopped giving to them. Since, I've helped many in need, no third parties involved. I encourage anyone to look around you to see if there is someone in need that you could help, and do it. That's the Christian way and who knows, you may gain something from it.
Keep it coming...
sniper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My Christmas Rifle Reply with quote

Great story!
coyotehunter_1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My Christmas Rifle Reply with quote

Note the previous post replies are a year old ...

"The Christmas Rifle", as Dimitri so kindly mentioned last year, has become a traditional Christmas post here.

I hope everyone enjoys it.

Merry Christmas,
Chet

KYGunner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My Christmas Rifle Reply with quote

Well then, for this year....Right on. Great story. There is nothing as good as giving. May you all have a Blessed and Merry Christmas!

kbis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My Christmas Rifle (a Christmas story) Reply with quote

Its another year and I hope you all have a Merry Christmas.

Ken
codybrown

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My Christmas Rifle (a Christmas story) Reply with quote

Extremely good story, defiantly one of the better reads on the net.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 2