Just registered after finally completing the build on my Mosin Nagant M91/30 7.62x54R hunting rifle. I started with a surplus rifle with a very good bore, sharp rifling, then completly disassembled and cleaned it. The barrel was cut to 24 inches and an 11 degree target muzzle crown cut with Brownells 79 degree cutter part #080-586-750. The rear sight was removed and the sight mount removed from the barrel. After filling the pin holes the area was finished to match the barrel contour by filing and sanding. I also smoothed the magazine and barreled receiver of all casting flash, machining marks, and import dings.
The trigger was replaced with a Huber Concepts Match Grade Adjustable unit. This item is the best upgrade on the rifle. It provides a very smooth trigger pull, and the adjustment is the berries. The price is $69.75 and you can find it along with triggers for other rifles at www.huberconcepts.com.
I did replace the original trigger pin for a better fit. I also replaced the bolt spring with a reduced power unit from Wolff Gun Springs to enhance trigger pull and increase lock time. The results of these two parts gave a trigger pull of a new gun. The spring is rated at 24 lb, cost is $8.95 at www.gunsprings.com.
To further enhance the trigger I drilled and tapped a hole in the trigger guard for an 8-40 screw to act as an over travel stop. The end of the screw is covered with an automotive vacuum tube cap, found at the auto parts store, to keep from scratching the teflon trigger finish.
I chose the Advanced Technology Inc. Mosin Nagant stock in Mossy Oak Break Up and the ATI Scope mount/Bent Bolt Conversion. The stock will require a small bit of inletting to install the new trigger, but other than that the fit is right on. Installing the scope mount requires drilling and tapping the receiver, and you want to locate the center of the barrel and double check it twice before marking hole location. I attached a level to the end of my dial caliper, and opened the caliper using the flat area under the receiver to index the center. After making certain center had been established the receiver was squared in my cross slide drill press vise, and one hole was drilled and tapped with the drill/tap included in the kit. The mount was secured to the receiver, then the second hole drilled and tapped. The bent bolt handle requires the original straight handle to be sawed off, leaving about 3/16" of a "stub" on the bolt. The bent bolt comes with a circular shim that is placed on the stub. Place the new handle in position, mark the stub end, and simply drill/tap a hole and attach the bent handle with hardware supplied. This unit is functional, but looks rather shabby in my opinion, and I plan to get a bent bolt handle from Brownells in the future and weld it on, then finish it out to appear original.
For scope rings I chose Warne Scope Mounts Fixed Rings, and their 25 inch pound torque wrench to support the Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40 Side Focus Scope. The Warne rings are steel, and use four screws and a steel cross bar for a very secure mount. The Nikon scope is equipped with a 4 inch sun shade and extended turret posts. The larger turrets are easily changed out with an allen wrench. The side focus provides a very clear view to infinity. It retail for $325.00 and is worth every penny.
A high power scope is only as good as the rest being shot from, and I installed a Caldwell Prone Light Weight Bipod. This units legs extend from 8 3/4" to 12", weighs 10 ounces, offers 18 degrees of cant and panorama of 20 degrees. I also use the Ellington-Rush SlingStix Sling. This sling has folding poles that fit in a pouch, and quickly extend to provide a steady rest from prone, sitting, and standing positions depending upon how many times the legs or poles are unfolded. When the legs are folded away in the pouch I can't tell they are there while carrying the rifle.
For finishing touches I installed a Limbsaver Barrel Deresonator. I used a deresonator on one of my SKS rifles built for hunting, and it brought my 50 yard 5 shot groups down to the size of a quarter. They eliminate any vibrations produced from firing a cartridge, and the cost of $15.00 is money well spent. I also got the Beartooth Products Slip-On Recoil Pad and ScopeGuard 40+ in Mossy Oak to compliment the camo stock. These products are made of neoprene, very high quality, reasonably priced, and made in Montana.
I used woodland green Duracoat Firearm Finish on the barrelled receiver and magazine. I have used the Duracoat product on several other rifles and am very, very impressed with it's durability and ease of application. I masked off the inside of the receiver and the magazine feed ramp that was polished out to 1500 grit, and used an air brush and small HVLP detail gun. I have not shot the rifle yet, it just got assembled tonight, and I have to check to see if the road to our range is open after all the flooding we had here last Monday. As soon as I get a range report I will update this thread and we will see how it shoots. Thanks for looking. wh