Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Foul weather = Time to hit the reloading bench
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
popgun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Foul weather = Time to hit the reloading bench Reply with quote

Nothing like being stuck inside during deer season because of a cold rain. I took advantage of the off time to reload 500+ varmint 223 rounds for the AR's. Now, what will I load next? Hummmmmmm???

I need to load some 264 WM's but I want to try the 125 Nosler Partitions but I don't have any on the bench. I think I will call Midsouth or Midway and get them to put some on a brown truck and let the brown do the driving in the rain.

Mabe I will just prep some brass for the 7mm-08, or 7x30 Waters, or load some 22-250. Confused Wooohh! There are 50 cases of 375 H&H, what bullet to buy for that....hummmmmm

Decisions Decisions Blah

View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Spacedone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Foul weather = Time to hit the reloading bench Reply with quote

"Nothing like being stuck inside during deer season because of a cold rain. I took advantage of the off time to reload 500+ varmint 223 rounds for the AR's. Now, what will I load next? Hummmmmmm???"

cold rain stops you from deerhunting? is missing something important here.

YOU WERE STUCK INSIDE DEERSEAON BECAUSE OF RAIN. i just dont get that reasoning considering deer move alot more during terrible weather.

i hope for rain duing deep season its the nice days i dread.
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Foul weather = Time to hit the reloading bench Reply with quote

I thought all you southern boys had heated deer stands with cable TV, Internet, Fridge, LazyBoy chair etc etc???

BTW you have an automatic press or something to churn out 500 .223 cartridges? Thats alot LOL. Wish I had a place to really shoot anymore or I'd be playing with reloads alot more.

-DallanC
Shomebigbores

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Foul weather = Time to hit the reloading bench Reply with quote

Dallan,

I used to be a Missouri hunter, till "all my ex's live in Missouri" helped my find Arizona where anybody can start over.

I never saw a storm bad enough to keep us indoors on the first day of deer season in Missouri though. Spacedome has it right. GIT ER DONE!!

One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.
Sir Winston Churchill
RPM1031

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Foul weather = Time to hit the reloading bench Reply with quote

They weren't just getting rain, there was a load of ice with it. Trees were breaking off. One guy was killed while watching tv. Ice caused a tree to snap and it came through the roof killing the poor guy. Places lost power.

Gil Martin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Foul weather = Time to hit the reloading bench Reply with quote

Our rifle deer season is over, but muzzleloader deer starts the day after Christmas. Bad weather is a great time to reload. I catch up on handgun and rifle loads then hope for a thaw to head for the range. All the best...
Gil

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Foul weather = Time to hit the reloading bench Reply with quote

I hear ya Chris I do the same thing a light rain aint to bad but a hard one ya mys well do something constructive the deer won't move anyway. I will reload, or watch some hunting vids.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
kbis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Foul weather = Time to hit the reloading bench Reply with quote

I just wish we would get some rain. If we don't get a lot of rain soon, I will be fish in my pond with a shovel Crying or Very sad .
popgun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Foul weather = Time to hit the reloading bench Reply with quote

kbis wrote:
I just wish we would get some rain. If we don't get a lot of rain soon, I will be fish in my pond with a shovel Crying or Very sad .

I feel for you guys in east Texas. I saw a post at varminthunters.com where the deer were raiding hog traps for food and getting caught. One lived and one had to be put down.

For those of you making fun of an old man for not going out in the rain like I did when I was younger Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
We did have mixed ice with the rain and if you have never had Arthritis in the knees you just don't understand.

Quote::
I thought all you southern boys had heated deer stands with cable TV, Internet, Fridge, LazyBoy chair etc etc???

Yep, we do it right but the steps were too icey. I just didn't want to take a chance. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

BTW you have an automatic press or something to churn out 500 .223 cartridges? Thats alot LOL.

To be honest the brass was already preped and primed. All I had to do was throw the charge and seat the bullets. Using W-748 the charges all throw the same out of the measure. I have been reloading with a RCBS JR since 67 or 68.

View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
POP!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Foul weather = Time to hit the reloading bench Reply with quote

popgun wrote:
Nothing like being stuck inside during deer season because of a cold rain. I took advantage of the off time to reload 500+ varmint 223 rounds for the AR's. Now, what will I load next? Hummmmmmm???

I need to load some 264 WM's but I want to try the 125 Nosler Partitions but I don't have any on the bench. I think I will call Midsouth or Midway and get them to put some on a brown truck and let the brown do the driving in the rain.

Mabe I will just prep some brass for the 7mm-08, or 7x30 Waters, or load some 22-250. Confused Wooohh! There are 50 cases of 375 H&H, what bullet to buy for that....hummmmmm

Decisions Decisions Blah

Try 65 gr of Reloder 25 with the 125 NP's. Work up to 68 or so. Got 3350 fps and .55" at 100 yds all day long from my Super Grade!

popgun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Foul weather = Time to hit the reloading bench Reply with quote

Try 65 gr of Reloder 25 with the 125 NP's. Work up to 68 or so. Got 3350 fps and .55" at 100 yds all day long from my Super Grade!

Thanks,
I will put that one is on my list to try next. Just need the bullets and RL-25. Want to try that bullet with H870 too. Mine is one of the original M70 Westerner rifles. Long barrel on it. I have a gun show comeing up in January at Savannah, GA so I will see if I can pick the components up there.

POP!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Foul weather = Time to hit the reloading bench Reply with quote

Unless you have H870 on hand try H869 will be available in March. A bit slower than H870.

Tusero
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Foul weather = Time to hit the reloading bench Reply with quote

I'm surprised that no one has said this about your reloading in the rain yet. Most of the reloading manuals I've used had a blurb about it too.
When you reload in inclement weather, especially rain, the humidity is a lot higher and can affect the outcome if you go out in hot dry weather to shoot your reloads. Use some caution there! We'd hate to hear about some accident you might have! Sad

popgun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Foul weather = Time to hit the reloading bench Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Ok, I'm am a little slower the older I get.....but don't worry, im not loading outside in the rain....I'm doing it inside where the humididity is much lower Very Happy

The humididity here in Georgia stays above 50% most of the time anyhow so it doesen't affect my loads that much.

Thanks for the words of warning though.

Tusero
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Foul weather = Time to hit the reloading bench Reply with quote

Hi Popgun,

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I wish I could get some of that 50% hunidity. Here in New Mexico, the only time it, well mostly the only time it gets like that, is when it does rain. And winters here find the humidity in the teens.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 2