Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824587
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Got a deer
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizona Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Got a deer Reply with quote

Got a young desert Muley on Saturday in unit 31 North of Safford, AZ. He was only a 2 x 2, but dressed out at 122 lb. Not bad considering a "large" deer from this area is 180.

This was my first deer in AZ since 1990 and my first deer since the one I got in MN in 1999.

Felt so good to actually make use of some of the things we invest in (binos, rangefinder, reloads) and make use of them during a hunt.
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a deer Reply with quote

Way to go! It irks me often the mentality of "must shoot a big'un" when sometimes the best memories come from deer of all sizes.

This year my wife shot a 2pt as well, a nice eating buck but what made it more special is our 6 year old boy was with us and he got to see it, watch it get "shot" and was excited as can be to be apart of it. I took him over to where it was standing when hit, and we pretended we didnt know where it was. I showed him how to look for blood, to follow the trail through the grass until we arrived at it. He thought that was neat stuff.

I've killed some big deer, killed alot of medium deer and a bunch of small ones. The ones I remember the most fondly are usually smaller ones with my boy or wife, just enjoying the moment and the chance to hunt.

Glad to year you were successful... I dont think most of the eastern people understand the plight of the mule deer out here in the west. Utah only issues 90,000 deer tags, they are by public drawing with a 1 in 2 chance to draw. Once you have a tag the success rate is a meger 25%. Contrast that to eastern states where they get multiple tags per year... something I just cant even imagine LOL

-DallanC
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a deer Reply with quote

Hear, here DallanC....

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a deer Reply with quote

Arizona Hunter,

Glad you got a deer Smile

Dallan,

Good to see you teaching your son at such a young age! Smile

Dimitri

george20042007

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a deer Reply with quote

Now, that's what I'm talking about Arizona Hunter. But, did you have to tell everone you shot it here in Arizona? Now they'll be coming out ofthe woodwork Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Keep it coming...
Grant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a deer Reply with quote

Congrats on getting your deer. I've taken quite a few 2 points like that, they're the best eating anyway. Nice when a plan comes together.

Dallan, I completely agree. Some of my favorite hunts produced smaller deer, but the hunts were awesome. You'll have to head north some day, I can take three Mule's per year here.

squirrelbait

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Got a deer Reply with quote

Now, DallanC, don't go picking on us Eastern folks. It certainly aint all roses. I believe the success rate in NH is about15% overall.....mainly because of the type of cover/terrain we hunt in. But..........I don't have to do a lottery to get the tag. Course the only deer we have is White Tail. The Moose is a whole different game...lottery, etc.
Matt1971
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Got a deer Reply with quote

Congrats on the deer. I have to agree with grant them smaller deer are good eattin.
Arizona Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Got a deer Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was hunting with my wifes cousin that has lived all his life in this unit, and he asked if I was particular as to the size of deer I would take if given the opportunity-I said anything was fine, we just want the meat.

A couple years ago in MN my brother got a deer, son #1 got 2, son # 2 got 6! Nine deer kept sausage on the table all winter into the summer.

Can't seem to figure out how to re-size the pics for viewing here..sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 1 of 1