Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Which dies
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daveyboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Which dies Reply with quote

I don't do that much reloading. I load up 200 cases at a time and then when they have all been shot, load them again.

Anyway, got a new 6.5 x 55mm swedish Tikka rifle and it's time to load some ammo!

Question is, what dies do you recommend? I've got Redding 'deluxe' kit of dies for my .308 and never use the neck die. I full size and shape and then load them up. I hope that this is the right way to do it - it's the way that I was shown...

I see from the RCBS website that there are loads of new products and i'm getting a little lost in the amount of choice that is out there. What about carbide dies? Are they available for this calibre? I've got a boss press. Find it another post - it's how I broke my foot yesterday...

Answers please and try to keep them to the dies.

Many thanks

Daveyboy

Blaine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Which dies Reply with quote

All my dies so far are Lee and they work fine...never had any trouble with them. For my latest calibers, I've ordered the new Hornady "New Dimension" dies. I like the adjustable expander spindle better. Just ordered 7mm mag, 7mm-08, 30-06 and 270 WSM. Should be here next week. I'll report back how I like them. I've always been a "Lee man". ever since I started loading, but these new dies look interesting. Price wise, I don't think you can beat Lee. For the occasional loader, I think they are the way to go....when you get more serious, you can always step up to the higher grade match type. They are all interchangeable in most presses.

Blaine

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Which dies Reply with quote

Howdy Daveyboy. Most of my dies are RCBS. I use Rcbs, Hornady, lee and Redding dies as well. I have not had any issues with any of them. As Blain said lee's are hard to beat for the money. As far as carbide die's if I'm not mistaken there only available for pistol cartridges. I think all the die's mentioned will work well it's just a matter of preference and price.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Daveyboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Which dies Reply with quote

Thanks guys

I suppose it depends on what they've got in stock. Happy enough with Redding dies for my .308 so I might as well stay with them.

Cheers

D

Gil Martin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Which dies Reply with quote

It depends. Most of my dies are from RCBS with a few Hornady, Redding and C-H dies in the mix. Cannot tell much difference. All the best...
Gil

Handloader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Which dies Reply with quote

I've got 52 sets of dies in the shop that represent most major brands. I have competition dies, standard dies and collet dies that have come with various purchases over the years. Sophisticated marketing strategies have not been lost on die suppliers and as those suppliers have become increasingly big corporate, more and more marketing gimicks seem to come along, always accompanied by the words "new" and "improved". That said, the job of dies is straightforward and uncomplicated.

For me the prime measurement of a die set is in the consistency of bullet runouts (presuming good sizing etc). RCBS standard dies have always delivered better consistency in that regard even when compared to standard or competition die sets by other makers. Benchrest is different matter, however, and here the arbor press and straightline dies can give marginal, but important, improvements.
Daveyboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Which dies Reply with quote

So what about full length re-sizing and neck sizing on used brass?

I've always done the full resize bit and hardly ever used the neck die. I was reading the Hornady reloading manual last night and it says that it's better for head space problems to use the neck resizing die. Firstly because the brass has been shaped for your chamber the last time you used it and secondly because it doesn't stretch the brass.

Comments (that means help!) please.

D

Spacedone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Which dies Reply with quote

im also new to reloading. ive loaded aboutv 5000 rounds using my Lee die set which comes with a full sizing and neck sizing.

full aizing i get between 5-10 reloads per brass.

neck sizing i get between 20-30 reloadings per brass plus my grouping has went from 1.5 inches to 1 inch at 100 yards.

im shooting a 1942 enfield longbranch 303 which has shot probaly 100,000 rounds.

for the price of my Lee annaversary set and a set of dies in 303 i could have bought half a more expensive brand..

im now loading 303 brit, 45 long colt {carbide set}, and 32 short {also a carbide set}

the carbide dies cost about 40 dollars per set and will last longer than i will.
Handloader

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Which dies Reply with quote

In addition to neck sizing and full length resizing, there is partial full length sizing and each has their application.

Give that not all rifles are chambered equally, I have seen some chambers that were not concentric. In this situation, full length sizing is the best option. If someone is hunting big game, a case can be made for full length sizing as well, to preclude the possibility of any chambering problems. If the chamber is on the tight side, full length sizing may be needed as well. Lever or semi autos usually will benefit from the FL sizing and some may required a small base or ultra small base sizer for total reliability.

Neck sizing will typically give extended brass life and eliminates headspace issues. In non critical hunting (varmints, prairie dogs, etc) it is a good practice. Partial neck sizing helps even more as the unsized portion of the neck will center the bullet even better. If a rifle has been custom made with tight neck and chamber and the resizing die cut from the same reamer, no resizing is needed in most cases, but, this is the domain of benchresters mainly.

Partial full length sizing refers to sizing the brass only enough to allow the bolt to close without too much resistance. Here, headspace is solved and the brass worked only to the point needed for operation. The distinction between this and the other methods is that the handloader is not concerned with choosing FL or neck sizing technique, but, only working the brass as little as is needed for reliabile and accurate loads.

All these options of sizing presumes the brass has been properly prepped for case length, neck turning if needed, etc.
Crackshot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Which dies Reply with quote

The best advise I can give you is "buy what you can afford", they all are pretty good dies and it just depends on what your going to try and accomplish with your reloads.
If your trying to win an NRA High Power match then I would go with Redding Competition dies.................So on and so forth.
Its a game of "You get what you pay for".
Sahrpshooter!
they make carbide for rifle but there only in certain calibers,308,223,30/06, And the only company that I have seen do it is Dillon Precision, and the cases still need to be lubed. Confused

Last edited by Crackshot on Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
GooseHunterJr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Which dies Reply with quote

I use RCBS dies, but I have heard that the redding dies and very good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 1