Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

when is it to much gun.
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: when is it to much gun. Reply with quote

Flint54 wrote:
:D The .375 JDJ is a 14" with a intigral break. It will shoot through anything in North America on 4 legs. The biggest problem with this round is that there are very few that will expand at all at the velocities that can be reached with this firearm.
It would be fun to use them both down under on a couple of your water buffs and rid a few camels from problem areas. Don't think either of those creatures could stand up to these two cartridges. Cool

Flint45, I am assuming that your cast bullets are gas checked? Maybe if you were to use a slightly softer alloy and either cast them as hollow point/cavities. Then again you could do what I have done with the 150gn .308 I cast for my 30.30 Mod 94.....I have made a small jig to hold the bullet square under my drill press and I drill out the nose to make my own hollow cavity, I also put a slight chamfer on the hole as well, then to make sure it expands I have pushed a worn out ball bearing from a bicycle bearing race into the cavity. Works well.

JD Jones, the father of the .375 JDJ apparently has come out here hunting on a few occasions and the story goes that he loved every minute of it, although he reckons our buffalo can be worse than the Cape Buffalo in Africa because they have no fear of humans.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: when is it to much gun. Reply with quote

Hummm,

Where can you legally hunt buffalo ??

Its what I want to do if I ever get the money to have a "dream hunt" Seen one too many cowboy movies myself Very Happy

What would be a good all around round in my books would be a 10x52mm or so. Razz I know it doesnt exist but I was thinking 40cal with 200gr bullets traveling at about 2700fps would make a neat all around hunting caliber. Would be made with trimmed and fireformed 30-06 brass. Cool

Dimitri

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: when is it to much gun. Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
Hummm,

Where can you legally hunt buffalo ??

Its what I want to do if I ever get the money to have a "dream hunt" Seen one too many cowboy movies myself Very Happy

What kind of buffalo? You mention cowboy movies which makes me think you mean Bison... and if so doesnt Canada have the worlds largest free roaming herd??

Utah has a free roaming herd on the Henery Mts... my dad drew a "once in a life time" tag for them and we hunted 3 weeks... and he still didnt kill one. They live in terrain you cant get a horse into at times. Do not think modern bison live in flat grasslands as shown in the movie "dances with wolves", they live in unbelievable places you'd more expect a Mt Goat to live in, not a 2000lb bull.

-DallanC
Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: when is it to much gun. Reply with quote

Dallan,

I honestly dont know if its legal to hunt them here or not. Till you mentioned that your father got a once in a lifetime tag on one of the other threads I thought it was completly cut off because thats what I have been told so I never looked into it. Thats why I had to ask Smile

As for them living in flat areas or not it doesnt matter much to me I dont plan on using a Jack handle or a 45-70 off a horse to hunt them Very Happy

Dallan you know me about firearms, do you think my idea to make the 30-06 bigger would work ?? If so I'm gonna see if I can get one made Cool

Dimitri

GroovyJack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: when is it to much gun. Reply with quote

Well if you mean Cape Buffs , in Africa , then as someone who has been there and done that , and waiting to go back again .. Well there is an old saying that goes like this :

When you have been there among them , there is no such thing as too much gun ..

Cape Buffs can absorb a huge amount of lead before their brain knows they're dead ..
A 40 cal on a 06 case already exists ( actually it's .411 ) , the .400 Brown Whelen , been around since 1923 ..
Any of the 416's would be a good starting point for buffs , they all have a bit better velocity than the 400 B/W ..
As for 200 grainers in a 40 cal , you're obviously thinking pistol bullets , sorry but the twist rate of a rifle is much to fast for a pistol bullet , and they wouldnt make it to 2700 fps ...
With these size critters , caliber and bullet weight are much more important than velocity .. As large a caliber and as heavy a bullet , is all the more better ..
Jack

Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: when is it to much gun. Reply with quote

GrovyJack,

Thanks for the reply Smile Well I'll be I've never heard about the .400 Brown Whelen Sad I was thinking about it because it wouldnt be a maginum but with a bigger bullet. Smile

Dam and I thought I had something original. Sad

Mind you I probrobly shouldnt be planning for buffalo yet. I mean I havnt hit and retreaved a single deer yet. Sad Did I mention I hate rain now ?? Mad

Dimitri

GroovyJack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: when is it to much gun. Reply with quote

Well " magnum " to me doesn't mean much ..

Take the 416 Rigby , the 416 Remington Magnum , and the 416 Taylor ..

All three are within 100 fps of each other with 400 grain bullets , and only one is called magnum .. The 416 Taylor is based on the 2.5" belted magnum case from which we get the 458 win mag , 338 win mag , 30-338 win mag and 7 rem mag , but Taylor didnt call it magnum ..

And the Rigby isn't called magnum .. But ballistically , they're all identical , a critter wouldnt know which you used on him ..
Jack

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 6 of 6