Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Moultrie/Rechargeable batteries
Pictures of wildlife

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wy111

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Moultrie/Rechargeable batteries Reply with quote

Ok, here we go.
Just bought a Moultrie game/trail camera with IR flash. The problem is, batteries. Has anyone used rechargeables and had any problems using them? I understand that both Moultrie and Cabelas advise not to, but why? Over here in the UK, high capacity D cells are not that cheap so I am also now cosidering buying a solar panal from Moultrie, has anyone had experience of these also?
Confused Confused Confused

Elvis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Moultrie/Rechargeable batteries Reply with quote

dont know weather its the same with your batteries but I found out the hard way that AA energizer rechargables are slightly bigger than standard they were 'very' tight in my gps and broke battery holding spring.the voltage also reads slightly different.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Moultrie/Rechargeable batteries Reply with quote

Totally correct Elvis.

I've never had any problems with rechareable AA in my Canon digital camera, however the rechargeable AAA I bought to run my Remington battery operated hair trimmer won't even start it. The AAA are only 1.2v whereas standard AAA are 1.5v...bugger. Maybe the rechargeable AA don't have quite enough "oomph" to run the Moultrietrail camera properly..don't really know.

The idea of using a solar panel is great. I have a mate who swears by them. He has four that he uses to run a couple of fridges and LED lights when we go camping and I have never seen the deep cycle battery drop below 13.8v at any time.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
popgun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Moultrie/Rechargeable batteries Reply with quote

Solar panel works just fine. Keeps the battery charged on mine, just mount it to face south so it gets the most sun all day.
My Moultry does not use D-cells. It uses the old block rechargeable lantern style battery. If your camera will accept the block battery I would use it over D-cells any day. The D-cells just do not give you much camera on time before they go dead. As for rechargeable D-cells I have no experience with them and would follow Moulty's instructions on not using them.

View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Donut Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Moultrie/Rechargeable batteries Reply with quote

My moultrie didnt like rechargeables at all. Fully charged the display would show only 80% charge. I guess this was due to the 1.2 v per battery vs 1.5 on alkalines.

jeh7mmmag

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Moultrie/Rechargeable batteries Reply with quote

NiCad have a low surface voltage of 1.2v per cell
Alky are 1.5V pc

Make you and external Nicad pack of the correct voltage and put a solar panel parrell on it.

Is there and external battery/charge port on the camera then plug in at port.

Gremlin
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Moultrie/Rechargeable batteries Reply with quote

If i'm not mistaken...rechargable Ni Cads will power anything you put them in but they last half as long as a reg battery of the same size and voltage....something to do with the make up of the batterys' recharging ability....not sure about the newer non ni cads

Northern Canuck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Moultrie/Rechargeable batteries Reply with quote

I have had good luck with My I-60 with plain old D cell Copper Tops. I had it out about 3 weeks last fall then from mid May to mid August this year, and the display said about 76%. Had about 2200 pics total. I changed out the batteries just because I didn't want to miss anything. Happy with the plain batteries.
Happy Hunting
Northern Canuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Photography / TrailCameras
Page 1 of 1