Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Hunter Orange Regulations.
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Hunter Orange Regulations. Reply with quote

Just wondering what they are like in other parts of the world here in Ontario they are pretty simple:

Quote::
Hunter Orange

Under this regulation, all licensed hunters, including archery hunters hunting during the gun season for deer and moose, are required to wear hunter orange.

As well, all black bear huntershunting during the black bear season are required to wear hunterorange except when in a tree stand. (This exception is in place because, unlike deer and moose, black bears have colour vision.)

Waterfowl hunters, wild turkey hunters and archery hunters in archery-only areas are exempt from the hunter orange requirement.

A hunter orange garment and head cover must be worn.

The hunter orange garment must cover a minimum of 400 square inches (2,580 square cm) above the waist and be visible from all sides. (A hunting coat or vest generally meets this requirement.)

Open mesh or camouflage hunter orange must not be part of the 400 square inches.

I made that last point stand out because alot of people dont understand this and get into trouble for it here from what I've been told. wtf

Dimitri

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hunter Orange Regulations. Reply with quote

No regulations of any kind in relation to hunting clothing over here in Australia.....YET.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
popgun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hunter Orange Regulations. Reply with quote

About the same here in Georgia. A few more square inches of blaze orange above the waist that may include headgear.

Open mesh orange is fine here and downright necessary to keep you from cooking in the warmer climate. The early part of the deer season can still reach the 90's. Open mesh is no less visable than a solid fabrick so I don't know what your regs are addressing. Can you tell us their thinking on that?

The camo orange is not allowed here, they want a solid patch of orange, but again it is no less visible than solid orange. Go figure?

We still have to wear the orange in the tree in GA but our neighbor Alabama allows you to take it off in the stand. Another go figure? (politics?) Very Happy

Like in your part of the woods we do not have to wear orange during archery deer or bear season, while varmint hunting outside of the gun deer season, or small game hunting.

As for the caution you advise us of it is well to advise everyone to read and understand the regulations of the state, provence, or country you hunt in. The regulations vary everywhere.

View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Dimitri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Hunter Orange Regulations. Reply with quote

Popgun,

Open mesh orange is fine here and downright necessary to keep you from cooking in the warmer climate.

Yah, well if I was hunting down where you are or any part of the south I'd be wearing shorts and a teeshirt instead of my winter jacket and insulated pants Shocked

Reason I think they dont allow camo orange is maybe because they are afrid someone will market one that has barly any actual orange on it so you cant see any if at all orange at a distance. Smile

while varmint hunting outside of the gun deer season, or small game hunting.

I actually need to check that out, because our regulations are missleading on alot of things, the general rule is "If it doesnt say it its not allowed". I've asked Conservation Officers before about it and they tell me during "any" firearms seasons while your hunting with a firearm you need to wear it. Confused

Reason I posted this thread was because I was interested in other places Hunter Orange requirements because I wanted to compare them Very Happy

Dimitri

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hunter Orange Regulations. Reply with quote

Utah orange is required when centerfire hunting, and if you are hunting with other weapon types in an area where centerfire hunting is going on. Archery or ML seasons its anything goes (one reason why I love ML hunting).

Wyoming I love as you only need an orange hat, no requirement on other orange.

Alaska there is no orange restrictions of any kind.

-DallanC
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hunter Orange Regulations. Reply with quote

Alabama is 144 square inches or a cap .. None required during bow season .. have to wear on ground , to and from stand , able to remove if stand is over 12 feet off ground ..

Jack

sniper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunter Orange Regulations. Reply with quote

I got my head handed to me when I commented on another hunting forum that I thought an article stating orange should not be worn was a bit misleading, not to mention potentially unsafe.

Turns out the home state (Oregon) of the author/website owner/resident expert has no requirement to wear hunter orange.

Since hunter orange has been cited for years as a prime contributor to fewer "accidents" and fatalities, I'd like to compare statistics on shootings and killings during hunting seasons between states that do require orange to be worn, and those that don't.

Anyone have any Ideas?
Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunter Orange Regulations. Reply with quote

Sniper New Yorks stats are interesting:

www.dec.state.ny.us/we...er2002.pdf
From 1994 through 2003 four out of five deer hunters wore hunter orange. Not even one who wore hunter orange was mistaken for game and killed. But fifteen hunters who did not wear orange were killed when mistaken for game.

In Ontario they used to post how many accidents while hunting happend in the hunting regulations the year before but they werent in there this year (not sure about last) so I'd assume hunter orange works as no one here is getting shot Smile

Dimitri

1895ss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Hunter Orange Regulations. Reply with quote

They don't list them here anymore either........ ! wtf

WileyWapiti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunter Orange Regulations. Reply with quote

Colorado states - Quoted from 2006 Colorado Big Game, page 7, item 13: #1-27 are all under the heading "It's Against The Law To:"

"13. Not wear at least 500 square inches of solid DAYLIGHT FLOURESCENT ORANGE material in an outer garment above the waist while hunting deer, elk, pronghorn, bear or moose during a firearm season. Part of the flourescent orange must be a hat or head covering visible from all directions. Camoflauge orange does not qualify. Mesh garments are legal, but not recommended. We strongly recommend wearing daylight flourescent orange clothes in the field even if you're not hunting." END OF QUOTE

Real similar to Ontario's thoughts, however, we have to have more coverage, archery doesn't require it and we have no stipulation on bear regardless of if in a stand or not. I am not sure on bird hunting, I don't think it is required, but I am not a bird hunter and would need to look it up prior to personally going to the field if I did - can't help you there.

squirrelbait

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Hunter Orange Regulations. Reply with quote

Here in New Hampshire there are no requirements.....yet but it is highly recommended in the regs.
Arizona Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunter Orange Regulations. Reply with quote

In Arizona no orange requried. However, I grew up in Minnesota where orange is a must, and I guess it just carried over for me and do not believe I've ever missed out on an animal because of wearing orange.

I wear orange when hunting squirrel, bear,rabbit, deer, javelina, quail and elk. Heck, they only time I don't is when calling coyotes.

Orange just feels safer.
Spacedone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunter Orange Regulations. Reply with quote

here in missouri you must wear 100 square inches and a orange hat
george20042007

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunter Orange Regulations. Reply with quote

As Arizona Hunter pointed out, wearing hunter orange is not required. I personally don't wear it so the rattlesnakes don't target me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Keep it coming...
Gary
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunter Orange Regulations. Reply with quote

Here in Minnesota you have to wear orange and a good thing, they still kill a few hunters every year. For the life of me, how someone can mistake a hunter in orange in a tree for a deer. This has happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 1 of 2